It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Cases..
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I am trying to find a case for a "special" guitar I just built.

I am trying to stay under $400.

This guitar is very close to a 14 fret triple O/OM and will fit in that size standard case....

I have been using the TKL top line cases-but am trying to get something nicer for this guitar.

I have been paying $139 for the arched top/flat back and $199. for the arched top/arched back cases

The base price for the Cedar Creek case is $300. They are 5 ply (heavier) and have nicer interiors, latches than the TKL's

What are you guys using?

Post subject: Re: Cases..
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Have you considered Hiscox cases.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:52 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
I have had Cedar Creek build custom cases for three guitars - they are beautifully made, expensive and long delivery. Highly recommended.

Both of these guitars have tailpieces, Cedar Creek made little indentations in the case to fit. The tricone has a funky coverplate, the case fits perfectly. Ditto the long scale 12 string neck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I'm buying Stage 3 cases from Access cases for $69.00 plus tax. It helps that I'm about 35 minutes away from where they are based. They certainly aren't the best cases out there but the interiors are very plush and you can't beat the price... https://www.accessbagsandcases.com/prod ... ree-cases/

PS you will need an EIN number...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I currently offer Ameritage custom cases, plus TKL and Access stock cases. It sounds like Ameritage would be what you are after. With them I use the Silver series. They come in around $300. I think they will do the Gold series for less than $400. That is for a custom case made to fit your guitars and you also get to pick your own materials (color mostly). The cases are heavy but well made.

I haven't used the TKL top of line cases so I don't know how the Ameritage would compare. Perhaps others have.

And I should add that with the Ameritage, they will put your logo, embroidered on the case for a few dollars more.

Last edited by Joe Beaver on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We send new guitars out in Hiscox Pro 2 and Artist cases...usually about $230 in black for the Pro 2 and $465 for the Artist with a coupon from MF (no shipping or tax, and case is here in 2-3 days; add $40 for cream exterior shell).

Fit is not an issue, as the contouring at the waist which restricts use of most cases is absent in the Hiscox. Light weight (10.5 and 11.5 pounds, respectively), great thermal stability, and wide range of fits for each case design. From what we've seen:

Dreadnought: typically handles 12 fret, 14 fret, 12 string 12 and 14 fret, small jumbo and some of the deeper body grand auditoriums, as well as square and round shouldered Gibson jumbos

000: handles 12 and 14 fret 000 (the shots are of a 12 fret 000 (long scale), OM cutaway, and 00-18 Golden Era (short scale)...all fit nicely.

The three classical sizes handle the L-00 and 00 family, as well as the smaller and concert size classicals.

Attachment:
12_Fret_000_pro2.jpg

Attachment:
OMC_pro2.jpg

Attachment:
00018GE_pro2.jpg

We also like Hoffee, Calton, and BAM, although for a cost-effective flight case, the Hiscox Artist is very hard to beat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: SteveSmith (Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I should add that I feel comfortable shipping guitars in Hiscox cases. Well as comfortable as one can!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Woodie G wrote:
We send new guitars out in Hiscox Pro 2 and Artist cases...usually about $230 in black for the Pro 2 and $465 for the Artist with a coupon from MF (no shipping or tax, and case is here in 2-3 days; add $40 for cream exterior shell).

Fit is not an issue, as the contouring at the waist which restricts use of most cases is absent in the Hiscox. Light weight (10.5 and 11.5 pounds, respectively), great thermal stability, and wide range of fits for each case design. From what we've seen:

Dreadnought: typically handles 12 fret, 14 fret, 12 string 12 and 14 fret, small jumbo and some of the deeper body grand auditoriums, as well as square and round shouldered Gibson jumbos

000: handles 12 and 14 fret 000 (the shots are of a 12 fret 000 (long scale), OM cutaway, and 00-18 Golden Era (short scale)...all fit nicely.

The three classical sizes handle the L-00 and 00 family, as well as the smaller and concert size classicals.

We also like Hoffee, Calton, and BAM, although for a cost-effective flight case, the Hiscox Artist is very hard to beat.

Do you provide any kind of humidity control in the case with your guitars?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Woodie G wrote:

Attachment:
12_Fret_000_pro2.jpg

Attachment:
OMC_pro2.jpg

Attachment:
00018GE_pro2.jpg

Hi Woodie,

I like a lot of things about the Hiscox cases, especially that they are lightweight.

Where do you buy them?

What is " a coupon from MF?

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

We deliver all new guitars with Hiscox or upgrade case, Oasis humidifier with refill kit, Fender Premium Plush guitar cloth, a spare set of strings, and guitar cleaner/polish...mostly because there is then absolutely no excuse not to humidify per instructions, wipe down after play, clean lacquer-finished instruments, and put a fresh set of strings on the guitar.

Musicians Friend offers most common sizes in black and cream...use LABORDAY for 15% off, or join their Backstage Pass program and watch for additional savings coupons..we usually wait until a 'make your own sale' 20% coupons shows up and place a case order. Unlike most other US Hiscox vendors, MF does not charge shipping or sale tax in most states, so that is about $50 in additional savings. The cream case color runs about $50 more before discounts, but is a fairly distinctive-looking case without weighing a lot, and it certainly stands out at a festival when it comes time to grab and go.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: SteveSmith (Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:01 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Allen
City: San Francisco
+1 on Hiscox cases.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:18 am 
Koa
Koa

State: ON
Another plug for Hiscox. You won't find anything else in the same price range that offers the level of protection that Hiscox does. I use the Pro-II series as the stock cases for my guitars. Ameritage cases are great quality, but heavy!

Canadian Luthier Supply
http://www.canadianluthiersupply.com
https://www.facebook.com/canadianluthiersupply?ref=hl
House Guitars - Custom Built Acoustic Instruments.
http://www.houseguitars.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:13 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
hiscox
custom pearl
518-483-7685
best price in the USA

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'll side with Freeman. Always preferred a traditional case to the cheap Martin style case, and the Cedar Creek cases are about the best even though they are heavy. Liked the crushed green interior, myself. Superior cases were good too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

One thing we see on a frequent basis is failed/missing/broken handles and hinges...a case that uses heavy duty industry standard luggage fittings makes repairs a little easier for frequent flyers. The worst we've seen are the Gieb-style handles (i.e., the sewn cover/internal steel strap version) on higher end Martin (TKL-made)), some Cedar Creek, and Taylor cases - we've seen complete failures in less than three months of touring. Handles and latches that appear to have come off higher-end composite luggage are what works when your cases have to punch a time clock. When presented with a choice between the $300 Martin vintage Geib-type case and a $240 Hiscox, it becomes a choice between attractive but delicate and ugly but extremely rugged...human nature being what it is, we sometimes opt for pretty when rugged would be a far better choice.

Also think about picking up a case cover if all of the latches on your intended flight case are not ATA-approved locking latches. The all-locking latch issue is the only negative we see with the Hiscox cases, and one that -if addressed - would see us recommending the Hiscox Artist over the Calton or BAM for frequent flyers. The Hoffee is so pretty that I'd want a case cover just to prevent baggage hold rash, as all latches lock already.

I'm not sure if Mr. Brentrup is speaking of the really awful three ply flat top and back cases that were standard for the 15 and 16 series guitars or the new C600 series thermoformed cases, but I agree with him on both. That said, don't confuse the featherweight, well engineered Hiscox for the also-ran Martin, SKB, or generic plastic cases...apples and eggplants.

Last edited by Woodie G on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Mr. Brentrup offered his opinion.
Mr. Brentrup is finished with this...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
The Hiscox cases are available at builders prices if you buy them 4 at a time from the manufacturer. It's been a while since I last ordered, so I can't comment on the current price, but less than $200 per case(Classical guitar) including shipping on my last order from Musiquip.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: David
Last Name: Scheckman
City: Plainfield
State: VT
Zip/Postal Code: 05667
I just finished a 12 fret 000 and I’d like to get a Hiscox Pro II case for it. The hiscox specs show the body length capacity of the 000/OM case as 19 3/4”. The body length on my build is a tad shy of 20 1/2”. Several on this thread have said they use hiscox for 000 12 frets. Can anyone confirm a hiscox 000/0M Pro II will work for my guitar. Thanks,
David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:25 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: David
Last Name: Scheckman
City: Plainfield
State: VT
Zip/Postal Code: 05667
I’m more and more confused on this. I just spoke to Elderly and they said they checked a martin 000 12 fret in a hiscox and do not recommend it, but the photo above of a 12 fret 000 looks like a fine fit. Mine is a long scale pretty much the same dimensions overall as a martin 000 12 fret long scale. I’d love to avoid a Geib style case, so heavy and clunky. I have reunion blues voyager case/bag that fits but not perfect and not rigid enough for my taste.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:18 am 
Koa
Koa

I'm not sure why Elderly would suggest that the fit on the 000 case is not a good one for a 12 fret 000, but we've delivered three 000's in the past year in both 12 and 14 fret, and all were very nice fits in the Pro II and Artist 000-sized cases. Our current 000 templates are pulled from vintage instruments from the 1930's and 1940's, but a quick check against the old MacRostie template does not indicate there should be any issues with fit if using the Stewmac plans for your project.

In terms of returns in the event that you do not consider the fit to be adequate, both MF and Elderly will charge shipping on returns, although it will be their cost versus yours (big shipping accounts have much lower rates). That said, outbound shipping from MF is free, so a return costs shipping in only one direction.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Brad, Ameritage has their OM case on for $325 right now. You might even get a builder discount off that.

http://www.ameritage.com/store/product/ ... _Case.html

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Rod True wrote:
Brad, Ameritage has their OM case on for $325 right now. You might even get a builder discount off that.

http://www.ameritage.com/store/product/ ... _Case.html

Thanks, Rod.

That seems like a good deal.

I ended up getting a few of the Hiscox cases and I really like them.