It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:41 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to make the move to using a vacuum clamping set-up for bridges. I've bought a 1.4 CFM vacuum pump (from Joe Woodworker) and the bridge clamp from LMI. And I've watched any videos that I could find about the topic, but I'm still in the dark somewhat in terms of how to set it up.
I got the filter that Joe recommended, but I guess I still need to source a vacuum gauge (?). I have all the hardware to get all of this set up (except the vacuum gauge), but I'd love to see some pics of folks' set-ups, and hear some tips on how to go about the process. Do you you use a pressure (vacuum) gauge or not, do you have an inline release valve (as I've seen in some pics), etc. Do you just turn on the pump and let it run, or is there some way to monitor and adjust the pressure?
Thanks for the support, as always!
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Focus: Build
My pump came with a vacuum gauge. It’s not necessary, but after you get used to how things work, it will help know if your setup is leaking. I have a release valve. Without it, you’d have to wait for a leak to remove all of your vacuum before you could reposition the clamp. My pump is a diaphragm pump rated for continuous duty, so I just turn it on and let it run for 2 - 2.5 hours (using 315g hot hide glue). About 5 minutes after I first clamp a bridge, I release the clamp, clean up the squeezeout, and then reclamp. I love the way my setup works. I’ve clamped over 100 bridges with it.

If you’re uneasy about your first bridge, make up a dummy bridge and top and try it out. You will be pleased when you get it figured out. I’m away from home, so you get no pictures.

You can get 1/4” tubing, fittings, and valves pretty cheaply in the plumbing department at Lowes. Hers is where a picture would be nice. I won’t be home for a couple of days. If you haven’t gotten any further by then, bump this discussion so I’ll notice and I will then take some photos.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:43 pm) • Ken Mitchell (Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:35 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

This is my take on the Joe Woodworker EVS. Forgive the dust. FWIW, I wouldn’t lay it out like this again. I was trying to make it compact, but I can’t access any of the innards now, and it isn’t repairable. Joe also has a very basic continuous run setup—I’d search that out on his site. If you do run with that, you won’t need the release valve. In these setups with vacuum reservoirs, the purpose of the valve is to seal them while the vacuum builds up—not to keep the vacuum from evacuating out of the clamp or bag. The vacuum should slowly release when you turn off the pump.

There was another very recent discussion on vacuum setups, so I’d search it out, too.

One thing to keep in mind is that LMI’s bridge clamp comes with a different setup for attaching the hose than Joe Woodworker uses. Joe’s hose clips on to what almost looks like a Schrader valve without the center pin. Thankfully the local hardware store had whatever it was I needed to make the setup work (wish I had a name for you). It looks like 3/8” into the LMI clamp, 1/4” to the hose.

As far as putting it to use, it’s really simple. Just fix the bridge in place, set the clamp over it, and turn on the pump.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
When assembling a vacuum setup I learned a very important lesson. Teflon tape is inadequate to seal up threaded joints. My system had numerous leaks. After talking to an experienced plumber, he recommended pipe dope rated for natural gas plumbing. I took the system completely apart and used the pipe dope which worked perfectly.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 4): Durero (Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:42 pm) • Ken Mitchell (Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:23 pm) • James Orr (Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:14 am) • bcombs510 (Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:12 am)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:01 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Focus: Build
I remembered. Here you can see the cheap plastic fittings and valve from Lowes. The fittings are pretty convenient in that they are easy to release to move the vacuum to other tools. I’ve made some vacuum clamps for other operations including holding bodies while I work on them. The release valve makes it easy to reposition the bodies as well while I’m working.

I bought some of the rubber sheet material from LMI for making my own clamps. I’ve actually had my bridge clamp long enough that I had to replace the sheet a couple of years ago.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.