Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:56 am 
Koa
Koa

amarillo2011 wrote:
I found another forum where he basically blamed all his woes on Brock Poling (now VP Marketing at Stew-Mac), but his descriptions of Brock's business failings sound exactly like himself.

You're kidding. That dude ripped off like half this forum. Hate to rehash it, but you don't get to do that and have it just go away...
I was like 17 at the time and $100 was a huge deal.

These users thanked the author Edward Taylor for the post: ChuckH (Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:31 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Got surprised by another partial refund of $100. Only $100 to go.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:07 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Chris
Last Name: Hlasnick
City: Gibsonton
State: Fl
Zip/Postal Code: 33534
Focus: Build
Lance,
I paid for Classified access a few days ago. Can you please grant me access when you get a moment. Thanks-----Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
It's been clear for quite some time that the OLF is on autopilot but I had no idea this other stuff was going on, yet again. It's disheartening.

George :-(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:25 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Just got Lance's final $100 he owed me. Happy to close this chapter.

These users thanked the author amarillo2011 for the post: Michaeldc (Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:34 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Giltzow
City: Boise
State: Idaho
Zip/Postal Code: 83709
Not getting access to Classifieds after paying seems to happen a lot. I have that problem, can anyone help - Mike G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
giltzow wrote:
Not getting access to Classifieds after paying seems to happen a lot. I have that problem, can anyone help - Mike G

Message Lance, he should respond quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Giltzow
City: Boise
State: Idaho
Zip/Postal Code: 83709
bcombs510 wrote:
giltzow wrote:

I did that and no response. Will do that again

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
I've always had quick response time from Lance.And I've bought maybe 5 sets of wood off him as well. it's a shame the customer service is so spotty. The classifieds used to be a great resource but seem to be almost dead.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:04 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Kyle
Last Name: Medeiros
Hate to resurrect this thread, but messages have gone unanswered and I paid for access a week ago.

Any tips on getting access to the classifieds? Hoping Lance will see this

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Quote:

Yes, he should. But he doesn't. I am VERY disappointed in Lance, and I don't want to hear any excuses from him, or any OLF'rs defending him until he stops being an absentee landlord.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Barry Daniels (Sat May 27, 2023 6:32 pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Chris Pile wrote:
Quote:

Yes, he should. But he doesn't. I am VERY disappointed in Lance, and I don't want to hear any excuses from him, or any OLF'rs defending him until he stops being an absentee landlord.

Chris,
As a contributing member I can understand you may be a bit disappointed at what you perceive as an absentee landlord, but as a long time "squatter" I appreciate all the free content the internet has on offer, and am glad Lance is willing to allow the forum to run without providing much remuneration.
Recently Amazon and others have been looking at e-zines and other properties they have purchased and decided to end those that were not turning a profit. Some "tech" companies who have operated at a loss to grow their company are finding it much more difficult to turn a profit and vulture capitalists are worrying they never will. Many internet based companies are trying to squeeze a few more nickels out of their user base, and getting push back from them.
As a non-contributing member I don't think Lance owes me anything, I'm just glad the forum exists. I sincerely thank you for your contributions, pecuniary and otherwise.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Gasawdust (Sun May 28, 2023 9:54 am)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:31 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Anyone who paid a fee for a service not provided is entitled to an answer and the service. I think Chris is right.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:38 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: gary
Last Name: davis
City: BILLINGS
State: Montana
Zip/Postal Code: 59105
Same issue here. No response from Lance.

Gary Davis

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I think it is important to distinguish between two issues.

One issue is Lance’s to deal with: what economic model works best for this forum? I hope Lance makes decisions in that regard that keep the forum going.

The other issue is: regardless of whether, and how, the forum makes enough money to stay afloat, is Lance responding to basic communications, like when new people want to join the forum, or when new people want to participate in the classifieds? I hear about a lot of problems in this regard. I really wish Lance would make better decisions about this. Ignoring people is not a good strategy in any endeavor.

If the first problem (not making enough money) leads to the second problem (not taking care of necessary tasks), I hope Lance realizes that dealing with things in that way can only make things worse.

If anyone on the forum actually does communicate with Lance, it would be good to spend some of that time talking about what I just said.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:16 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Josh
Last Name: French
City: Houston
State: TX
When I joined the classifieds I simply emailed him and he gave me access within hours. That's all you have to do. He doesn't seem to check forum private messages, just email him.

These users thanked the author jfrench79 for the post (total 2): kyle.medeiros (Sun May 28, 2023 9:02 am) • Hesh (Sun May 28, 2023 7:17 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
jfrench79 wrote:
He doesn't seem to check forum private messages

Does anyone think it is reasonable for the owner/administrator of a forum to ignore his private messages on his own forum?

I’m not judging Lance; maybe there are things going on in his life that mean he can’t put time/energy/money into the OLF right now. There is a difference between judging Lance and acknowledging that there are issues, so that they can be addressed. I’m doing the latter.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:03 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Kyle
Last Name: Medeiros
Deleted

Last edited by kyle.medeiros on Sun May 28, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Am I remembering correctly that the classifieds are an annual subscription? Because now that I think about it, I don't remember the last time I paid for it and it's certainly been more than a year I think and I still have access to it. So apparently it's not about the money it's just that Lance is absent.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yeah, seems like I used to get a renewal notice. Haven't really kept track of that...

Pat

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: jfmckenna (Sun May 28, 2023 12:05 pm)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:33 am 
Koa
Koa

Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
jfmckenna wrote:
Am I remembering correctly that the classifieds are an annual subscription? Because now that I think about it, I don't remember the last time I paid for it and it's certainly been more than a year I think and I still have access to it. So apparently it's not about the money it's just that Lance is absent.

Nice!!

I paid the annual dues twice thinking I’d forgotten to pay the first time. I never did receive access to the classifieds - that was 4+ years ago - I finally gave up

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun May 28, 2023 10:41 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michaeldc wrote:
I paid the annual dues twice thinking I’d forgotten to pay the first time. I never did receive access to the classifieds - that was 4+ years ago - I finally gave up

Lol! Wow, maybe that's why I'm not getting any love on my items over there!

Pat

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Michaeldc (Sun May 28, 2023 10:57 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I still think the admin email is the actual issue somehow. The automated responses that are supposed to happen when a user signs up for classifieds or a new user signs up are not happening. Whatever widget is configured with send of behalf of rights to the admin email is not working.

I’ve tried to create new accounts over and over and never get the account activation email. We have one person joining the monthly zoom meeting who can’t even log into the OLF because his account is not activated.

I’d like to use my own social media to drive people to the site and the zoom meetings but I won’t do it until they can actually sign up.

Sorry if that sounds grumpy, I don’t intend it that way. :D

Now soapbox time - I have paid to Patreon monthly since there was an OLF Patreon. I pay the money for zoom so we can have the monthly meetings. I signed up for recurring classified payments (regardless if they are working or not). I’ll keep doing those things since I get a lot of value from the people here, the relationships I’ve built and the archive of the forum. This cannot happen for new participants if the mechanics of the site are busted.

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 3): James Orr (Mon May 29, 2023 11:20 am) • Pmaj7 (Sun May 28, 2023 11:45 am) • Michaeldc (Sun May 28, 2023 11:21 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:22 am 
Koa
Koa

Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
bcombs510 wrote:
I still think the admin email is the actual issue somehow. The automated responses that are supposed to happen when a user signs up for classifieds or a new user signs up are not happening. Whatever widget is configured with send of behalf of rights to the admin email is not working.

I’ve tried to create new accounts over and over and never get the account activation email. We have one person joining the monthly zoom meeting who can’t even log into the OLF because his account is not activated.

I’d like to use my own social media to drive people to the site and the zoom meetings but I won’t do it until they can actually sign up.

Sorry if that sounds grumpy, I don’t intend it that way. :D

Now soapbox time - I have paid to Patreon monthly since there was an OLF Patreon. I pay the money for zoom so we can have the monthly meetings. I signed up for recurring classified payments (regardless if they are working or not). I’ll keep doing those things since I get a lot of value from the people here, the relationships I’ve built and the archive of the forum. This cannot happen for new participants if the mechanics of the site are busted.

This is you being grumpy? You need to try harder! laughing6-hehe

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sun May 28, 2023 11:45 am) • bcombs510 (Sun May 28, 2023 11:25 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Miller
City: Cape Vincent
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 13618
Perhaps Lance could be persuaded to transfer ownership of the OLF. It would not be hard to transfer this site to a modern forum system on a VPS for about $1000/year.

These users thanked the author Dan Miller for the post (total 2): Michaeldc (Sun May 28, 2023 5:56 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sun May 28, 2023 5:37 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next