All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

SnowManSnow wrote:
Michael.N. wrote:
Oil varnish/finish tends to darken wood more than shellac or nitro. . . . not sure to that extent though!

Apparently a good bit haha:)
I’m just going with it:) I’m also working in VERY thin coats of oil. So thin that if dust gets on it I can simply wipe it off wo it sticking. Similar to working FP very dry.
This... this will take a while but no hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very thin coats is a little like applying the Liberon finishing oil or Danish oil. Mostly they are tung oil based urethanes laced with lots of solvent to make them watery thin, thinner than Tru oil. I think the Liberon finishes a bit harder than Tru oil once it's fully cured. It will give full gloss if enough coats are applied. Tru oil is more pleasant to apply, it doesn't have the level of solvents of the others. These oil varnish/finishes can make the wood glow.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:56 am 
Koa
Koa

Here’s an updated pic of how the process is going.
After one more coat and an overnight dry period I’ll again level sand very lightly.

Each time I level I dilute the TO being applied a little more w mineral spirits to thin the application.

Again these are thin coats
This picture is following coat 9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:02 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
In this latest pic I like the color of the torrefied top with TO on it. The other pic it looked crazy dark but could have just been lighting. This looks nice!

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: SnowManSnow (Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

bcombs510 wrote:
In this latest pic I like the color of the torrefied top with TO on it. The other pic it looked crazy dark but could have just been lighting. This looks nice!

Must have been lighting.... looked like mud haha
It’s starting to become more translucent now
I’ll do a level tonight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
I did not polish or buff this.
Really made the African Mahogany figure pop.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
HUBBA-HUBBA! That is a world class finish right there.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: dzsmith (Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:25 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Yowza! That looks great!

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: dzsmith (Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:25 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Larry
Last Name: Hawes
dzsmith wrote:

Curious as to how that TO was applied? Looks like it might have been applied a bit thicker than any of the other methods mentioned in this thread...?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Just tried Tru-Oil for the first time on a neck and am very impressed with everything about it. Applies very easily, really pops the grain, has a very nice sheen before polishing and a great feel with a 0000 steel wool finish. Have a long way to go before truly finished but it seems like a great product...

Also agree with the misnomer about the 'oil' in its name. Doesn't seem to soak in like the oil in the name might lead one to believe. I think if it was applied thinly enough to seal a top (or use their filler though I have no experience with same) it would not effect the tone in a negative way. Again pretty impressed...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joey
Last Name: Holliday
City: Palmetto
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 34221
SnowManSnow wrote:
As far as protecting it from humidity... I don’t see a finish doing that... the inside would also have to be sealed. I guess you COULD... but I haven’t personally seen it done

I seal the inside of my instruments with shellac (get ready for the repairmen to curse me!). If it's good enough for Somagyi it's good enough for me. I've based a lot of what I do after his book, which is a great read btw.

As for Tru oil, I definitely use it. Like Hans I don't think it has a place on the soundboard. For that I prefer a french polish, which I think is the best sounding finish because a bunch of people that are a lot smarter than me told me so [:Y:]. I finish my necks with Tru oil and then scotch bright. I like the feel of the matte finish as my hands don't feel like a windshield wiper screeching across the windshield with the wipers on high while it's not raining. That's just me though. Obviously other finishes can be made matte as well but tru oil is so dang quick and easy that that I can't see myself switching to anything else any time soon.

I have finished B&S's with tru oil too with decent results, but I'm not completely satisfied. I can't see myself finishing high end BRW, coco or ebony with tru oil. I still have yet to settle in on a set finish for backs and sides other than FP. I like to round off the edges of the body a bit so having two different finishes is a bit of a challenge. It would be nice to find an option that was a bit quicker though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

fingerstyle1978 wrote:
SnowManSnow wrote:
As far as protecting it from humidity... I don’t see a finish doing that... the inside would also have to be sealed. I guess you COULD... but I haven’t personally seen it done

I seal the inside of my instruments with shellac (get ready for the repairmen to curse me!). If it's good enough for Somagyi it's good enough for me. I've based a lot of what I do after his book, which is a great read btw.

As for Tru oil, I definitely use it. Like Hans I don't think it has a place on the soundboard. For that I prefer a french polish, which I think is the best sounding finish because a bunch of people that are a lot smarter than me told me so [:Y:]. I finish my necks with Tru oil and then scotch bright. I like the feel of the matte finish as my hands don't feel like a windshield wiper screeching across the windshield with the wipers on high while it's not raining. That's just me though. Obviously other finishes can be made matte as well but tru oil is so dang quick and easy that that I can't see myself switching to anything else any time soon.

I have finished B&S's with tru oil too with decent results, but I'm not completely satisfied. I can't see myself finishing high end BRW, coco or ebony with tru oil. I still have yet to settle in on a set finish for backs and sides other than FP. I like to round off the edges of the body a bit so having two different finishes is a bit of a challenge. It would be nice to find an option that was a bit quicker though.

THIS is what keeps me from combining finishes. Doing a EnduroVar T,B&S with a True Oil neck to test results. Uh oh just realized I'm probably killing the tone of my guitar by using EV on the top... :D :D

Last edited by LarryH on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
LarryH wrote:
dzsmith wrote:

Curious as to how that TO was applied? Looks like it might have been applied a bit thicker than any of the other methods mentioned in this thread...?

Larry,
I rubbed on and wiped off three coats. I wiped using pressure as if I was trying to remove the oil.
I sanded with 800 using the oil as a lubricant and wiped it off.
I rubbed and wiped three more coats.
I thinned the final coat with about 25% mineral spirits. I rubbed on the oil, and gently and quickly wiped leaving enough oil to appear shiny and self-level.
I used paper towels to apply and wipe.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

dzsmith wrote:
LarryH wrote:
dzsmith wrote:

Larry,
I rubbed on and wiped off three coats. I wiped using pressure as if I was trying to remove the oil.
I sanded with 800 using the oil as a lubricant and wiped it off.
I rubbed and wiped three more coats.
I thinned the final coat with about 25% mineral spirits. I rubbed on the oil, and gently and quickly wiped leaving enough oil to appear shiny and self-level.
I used paper towels to apply and wipe.
Dan

THANK YOU Dan, very helpful...I can only hope to get such a nice finish...

These users thanked the author LarryH for the post: dzsmith (Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:04 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joey
Last Name: Holliday
City: Palmetto
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 34221
LarryH wrote:
fingerstyle1978 wrote:
SnowManSnow wrote:

THIS is what keeps me from combining finishes. Doing a EnduroVar T,B&S with a True Oil neck to test results. Uh oh just realized I'm probably killing the tone of my guitar by using EV on the top...

I don't think anyone notices the difference in finishes other than the builder. That said all finishes have their purpose. For a gigger who really cares about the tone unless the player has some kind of internal mic setup, other wise you're probably hearing a crappy, clappy UST anyway. In that case I'd probably go with something more durable. For myself, a guitar to sit on my couch in front of the fireplace it's gonna be FP. That said, FP for the back and sides is a PITA.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
LarryH wrote:
………………...
THIS is what keeps me from combining finishes. Doing a EnduroVar T,B&S with a True Oil neck to test results. Uh oh just realized I'm probably killing the tone of my guitar by using EV on the top...

Don't think John Greven believes EV kills the tone of his guitars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=90&v=0nbXjpW2iNs

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin North wrote:
LarryH wrote:
………………...

I remember that video from this forum many years ago - nice....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin North wrote:
LarryH wrote:
………………...

Yeah I think EnduroVar sounds so much better than EM6000 [:Y:]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
“Killing” the tone. Hmmmm... call me a pragmatist. But unless you are dipping the guitar in a vat of EnduroVar and swirling it around I think only the most refined and exquisite ear would hear a difference. Maybe you have that ear, but very few people do.

That said, I FP because I would rather spend six hours at my kitchen table than one hour every three for three days getting intimate with a spray gun, a noisy compressor, a RO sander, a buffer, and the limits of frustration.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I need to find the 'just kidding' sarcasm emoticon and forget that nuance and inflection does not come through in a forum. [:Y:]

Pretty sure if EnduroVar had any effect on tone I'd be the last to hear it but, like I posted above, it does sound way better than EM6000 - just kidding. :D