Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: 17" Jumbo Building
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:34 am 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
So with the great advice I recieved from the previous thread about a first build I have decided to shift gears a bit.

Looking around at tools, there are more tools (templates/molds etc...) readily available for an SJ200 style body shape than there are for an AJ shape. I like the SJ shape and I also love maple from working on violins so I thought why not? Plus maple is easy (cheap) to get and seems to be alot nicer to various stains and colors. The only downside I see to this body shape is that kits are not readily available for them.

What I'd like to do however is get some input on the bracing/construction for these bad boys. Alot of the modern 200s I have spent time with all seemed a bit "tight" and dense sounding (I have not played an older one yet). Even on a first guitar I'd like to avoid this and maybe shoot for a lighter built top, but I don't know how to do this.

I'm partially drawn to the idea of a 17" jumbo because with larger guitars you can mess things up a bit and then just pawn it off as "it's a strummer".

Has anyone built any 17" jumbos and what advice can you offer me on building them?

Literally I'm open to anything you want to share.

Post subject: Re: 17" Jumbo Building
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
Focus: Build
I've built and am building 3 17" jumbos. Two are based on a Washburn "Prairie State" that I made a mold for from luthiercooltools instructions that included 15' and 28' radius dishes. Got the bracing scheme off the Washburn using the inside/outside magnet trick for a template pattern. (Sorry Haans, not very Larson traditional). One is EIR/Sitka and almost finished with a Maple/Sitka.

The other is a J200 shape using the LMII plan drawn by Rick Micheletti.

The Prairie State Does not have a boomy bass and is fairly balanced across its range. Not sure what you mean by "tight".

Here's a pic... Was gonna call it "Mae West" for the big bottom, narrow waist. I like the slope shoulders.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author CarlD for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:46 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Well Carl, I was surprised to find that Washburn (modern) had attempted a "Prairie State". I had built two 17" red spruce/maple and 4-5 16" with the short 22" scale. They all sounded VG but I preferred the 16" because of the very short scale and big sound. None of mine had whatever bracing Larsons used on the PS. Instead, I used a combination of X bracing and ladder bracing with laminated braces. The all sounded just fine and quite even. Here's a few photos. Never did get a full shot of the 17" but some of the construction photos are still around...

And a couple of 16"

I'd say unless you have plenty of bucks for custom cases. stick to a standard size jumbo...

These users thanked the author Haans for the post (total 3): Michaeldc (Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:46 am) • CarlD (Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:20 pm) • DanKirkland (Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:45 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

CarlD wrote:
I've built and am building 3 17" jumbos. Two are based on a Washburn "Prairie State" that I made a mold for from luthiercooltools instructions that included 15' and 28' radius dishes. Got the bracing scheme off the Washburn using the inside/outside magnet trick for a template pattern. (Sorry Haans, not very Larson traditional). One is EIR/Sitka and almost finished with a Maple/Sitka.

The other is a J200 shape using the LMII plan drawn by Rick Micheletti.

The Prairie State Does not have a boomy bass and is fairly balanced across its range. Not sure what you mean by "tight".

Here's a pic... Was gonna call it "Mae West" for the big bottom, narrow waist. I like the slope shoulders.

"Mae West" is a nice looking guitar. I'm thinking just to stick to a standard template for my first one, nothing crazy and nothing special. If it's lame then that's the way it is, you learn best by embracing the suck. The prairie states are great guitars.

What I mean by "tight" is that they sound stiff, not much mid range with a bit of bass and alot of treble. Nothing wrong with that per-se but it just seems to my ears to be a bit tight sounding. Does that make sense?

Haans wrote:
Well Carl, I was surprised to find that Washburn (modern) had attempted a "Prairie State". I had built two 17" red spruce/maple and 4-5 16" with the short 22" scale. They all sounded VG but I preferred the 16" because of the very short scale and big sound. None of mine had whatever bracing Larsons used on the PS. Instead, I used a combination of X bracing and ladder bracing with laminated braces. The all sounded just fine and quite even. Here's a few photos. Never did get a full shot of the 17" but some of the construction photos are still around...

Funny, I used to call the 17" "Big Bimbo". I'd say unless you have plenty of bucks for custom cases. stick to a standard size jumbo...

Thanks for sharing those photos Haans, if anything on this forum I'd consider you the "jumbo king" seems like you've just made alot of them.

As far as cases go, there are cheap hard cases that fit a 17.5 lower bout, maybe not perfect but they'll fit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
Haans, I've been meaning to ask you, is that carbon fiber in your braces? Looks like maybe .045 in the X and maybe .022 in the others?

Or something else perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nope, they are either BRW or Wenge. Never liked to use anything but wood in acoustic parts.
Thanks Dan, I did make a number of 16", but never thought of them as "Jumbos". I thought them to be more of a real guitar compared to the tiny taylor toy. I called them mini-jumbos. Charlie Hoffman called them the "perfect old man's guitar".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:03 am 
Koa
Koa

Haans wrote:
Nope, they are either BRW or Wenge. Never liked to use anything but wood in acoustic parts.
Thanks Dan, I did make a number of 16", but never thought of them as "Jumbos". I thought them to be more of a real guitar compared to the tiny taylor toy. I called them mini-jumbos. Charlie Hoffman called them the "perfect old man's guitar".

I agree with the concept. In my mind a "jumbo" was always a 17" or larger guitar.

I did find a sound clip of what I'd like to try to shoot for, Molly Tuttle on a J200. To my ears I just really like the big tone of this particular one. Haans if I played one of yours I'm certain that I'd enjoy hearing it over the regular J200, sadly there are none around me that I know about.

For the first one I'm likely just going to keep it stupid simple. Standard J200 shape, Single line binding, no binding on the fingerboard. What I'd like to work very hard on is the bracing/voicing etc... So any thoughts on a bracing pattern? Layout? Just brainstorming here guys. Haans any thoughts on bracing for a first attempt at a jumbo?

Last edited by DanKirkland on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dan, I have no idea. I do know that I used 3 tone bars on the 17", and laminated bracing on the X. That just might give you a cleaner sound without sacrificing the "large sound".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
That's why I mentioned the LMII plan. I'm sure the bracing pattern is the same as the one in the sound sample.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Looks Marvin/Gilson to me...