Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Enduro-Var vs. EM6000
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:23 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Focus: Build
I have heard a lot of good things about Enduro-Var. I have been using EM6000 and have dialed in my technique. I pore fill with Z-poxy as needed (although many folks seem to like system 3) and seal the top with shellac. I typically spray 4 coats of EM6000 in a day, approximately 1 hour apart (sometimes less time). The next day I level sand with 400 grit and apply 4 more coats. Level sanding removes much of what I put on the previous day. I continue this until I feel that I won't sand through the finish during wet sanding. I wait 3 weeks before wet sanding and buffing, although the manufacturer suggests only 150 hours.

In consideration of trying Enduro-Var, I referred to their website and was concerned with some of the things mentioned regarding the product.

- Enduro-Var is an oil-modified water-based topcoat and ONLY ADHERES WELL OVER WATER-BASED STAINS, DYES AND RAW WOOD. It will adhere over an oil-based stain ONLY IF the stain is completely dry (minimum 4 days dry time). Use Enduro-Var over any other surfaces at your own risk.

- WARNING: Incompatible Products: Shellac

- Dry 4+ hours between coats

It appears that trying Enduro-Var will require a whole new approach and not simply using a new product with the same procedure that I've been using. I've been pretty happy with EM6000. Unless Enduro-Var is a substantial improvement over EM6000, I'm not sure that I am that motivated to switch. beehive

Can anyone address these issues with Enduro-Var, convince me that it's better, and offer a finishing schedule that has worked well for you.

Thanks for any thoughts and perhaps educating me on Enduro-Var...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Hi Steve,

I'm with you on the EM6000, I've got it down!

For me it's the blue cast on dark woods that will encourage me to try the EV. Reading the Greven article in GAL 118, p18. He says he's buffing after 4 days, and not shipping it out for another week or so. He is cooking it under a heatlamp which would hopefully speed cure time. 21 days is too long..

More shall be revealed...

M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: pkdz (Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
I have using EV for some time now and like it.
I (loosely) follow the schedule underneath from Jeff Jewitt as the basis for my spraying. Over epoxy filler. EV seems very forgiving.
However, I may separate the first three coats by a day or two depending on convenience/other projects, and I wipe down with up to 50% DNA/Isopropyl alcohol between coats if they do sit for a time.
Regarding adhesion over shellac, I have done this without problems using my own mixed shellac from flakes, 2/3 x 1 pound cut coats, lightly sanded back.
I contacted GF querying this, and got a reply saying if you only use light coats it's OK.
No experience of oil based filler or stain, but a test piece would be sensible.
See the post from Woody G regarding sag prevention on necks. I rotate mine by hand until they have flashed off, - gotta get a rotisserie! [uncle]
Time between coats, well, if its ideal conditions, warm and reasonably humid, I may only wait 30 minutes, flash off time +15 minutes or so.

Edit - forgot to mention, I spray my bodies flat, not hanging up, in a downdraught extractor.

Jeff Jewitt's suggested schedule -
Day 1….
1). Prep wood to 220 grit
2). Spray full wet coat of Enduro Var Gloss- allow 2 hours dry time
3). Level sand 320- spray a second coat full wet coat-wait 2 hours-light hand sand 320
4). Full wet coat—-allow to dry overnight
Day 2…..
5). Level sand with 320….wipe down with water mixed with 5% Denatured Alcohol (I've actually been using 50%
6). Spray full wet coat… 2-3 mils allow 1 hour dry time and repeat for a total of 3 coats with 1 hour between coats.
Let dry 1 week before final level sanding and buffing if doing gloss, or fitting bridge etc.

Good luck!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Michaeldc (Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:46 am)