Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Years ago when Sylvan Wells and John Mays described the Bourgeois double tenon neck joint I started using it based on their tutorials which involved a full mortise on the top for the fretboard tenon and a separate mortise block on the underside of the top butted against the headblock.

I experienced moderate movement at initial string up, more than a glued extension, or full dovetail but compensated with a slightly higher neck angle. What was disconcerting was that at 6-12 months there had been more movement sometimes necessitating a slight tweak in the neck angle. After that they remained stable.

I tried reducing the size of the mortise so more top was glued to the headblock with some help but later found that Dana had gone to a integral one piece headblock, mortise extension and left a slight gap between the end of the extension and the top brace. As he glued his tops first he would then wedge in a piece of wood in the gap to make a tight fit of the headblock assembly against the top brace to prevent rotation.

Over the last few years I have done that but as I glue the back first I access the gap through the mortise for the fretboard tenon. Wedge in some Mahogany tightly and hit it with thin CA to anchor.

I have watched a few of these guitars that are local the last few years and this appears to have solved the problem. They still move a little more initially than a glued extension or dovetail but the long term settling does not seem to be happening. An initial neck set with a straightedge 1/16” over the bridge on an unfretted board seems adequate to deal with the initial movement.

If any of you are experiencing similar problems with the Bourgeois style joint this seem to work. The other option is switching designs like the joint Trevor describes which I considered.

The pictures show the gap with a light in the guitar and the filler strip.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Bryan Bear (Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:50 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Terence,

I'm curious as to why you don't make the neck block extension longer and glue that directly to the upper transverse brace.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

StevenWheeler wrote:
Hi Terence,

I'm curious as to why you don't make the neck block extension longer and glue that directly to the upper transverse brace.

Steve

It is difficult to get top positioned perfectly and still be in solid contact with the brace when gluing the top to the rims. The two are frequently not perfectly parallel. It is easier for me to leave a gap and wedge two pieces of wood in very tightly afterwards. Then I know there is good solid contact and maybe even a little back pressure. The beauty of using thin CA is that you can really wedge the pieces in tightly first.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Terence Kennedy wrote:
It is difficult to get top positioned perfectly and still be in solid contact with the brace when gluing the top to the rims. The two are frequently not perfectly parallel.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me having that trouble. You don't have to off but a smidge to swing the center line a 1/4" at the tail. I've taken to treating the UTB as part of the rim set. Makes it easy to cut accurate notches in the linings and gives a nice solid joint at the neck extension. Since I close the box on the gobar deck, it's simple to add a few more sticks to complete the clamping of the top to that brace.

I am in full agreement with you that this type of neck block should be tied in to the top bracing to fully stabilize the neck. Thanks for bringing it up.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
That's what I was doing for a while. I would leave the UTB square until the ends and butt it right against the sides. I would bend a second false side about 2" either side of the UTB, cut a precise notch in it and slide it over the brace, capturing the end. For my neck block extension, I would leave it long when making the frame, then clamp the frame to the tablesaw fence and bring the blade up, through the block where I wanted it to end, and would glue the UTB right to it.

Ultimately I found there were no recognizable improvements for the considerable amount of extra work so I stopped doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

StevenWheeler wrote:
Terence Kennedy wrote:
It is difficult to get top positioned perfectly and still be in solid contact with the brace when gluing the top to the rims. The two are frequently not perfectly parallel.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me having that trouble. You don't have to off but a smidge to swing the center line a 1/4" at the tail. I've taken to treating the UTB as part of the rim set. Makes it easy to cut accurate notches in the linings and gives a nice solid joint at the neck extension. Since I close the box on the gobar deck, it's simple to add a few more sticks to complete the clamping of the top to that brace.

I am in full agreement with you that this type of neck block should be tied in to the top bracing to fully stabilize the neck. Thanks for bringing it up.

Steve

Did that approach help solve the late settling issue Steve?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:18 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I’m currently installing the UTB as part of the rim assembly which has been working really well for me. I *am* installing my top first but I think it would also be possible to accurately install the top last. I use the mortise to help index the top during glue up (I can do this because my neck block is cut before assembleing the rims). Once the top is dry-fit I use a small block and a baby c-clamp clamped to the top it self to index the top side to side and front to back. All that’s left is to line up the tail block end.

Right or wrong this is how I’m doing it. I will also likely look further into Trevor’s approach.

The image is shown without the popsicle stick brace installed. I let it run through the fretboard extension pocket then trim with a router (1/4” bottom bearing) once the top is glued on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Michaeldc on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: dpetrzelka (Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:24 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Michael, I like the way you've locked everything together in the UTB/neck block area. I did a bolt-on fret board extension but decided it just wasn't that hard to remove the glued on extension compared to the extra work involved. I do like to connect the neck block and UTB but it's a bit fussy to get it tight when you put the UTB on the top first. I will shamelessly steal your idea of putting the UTB in the rims with the neck block and try it on the OM I'm doing next.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:43 am 
Koa
Koa

SteveSmith wrote:
I like that Michael. Not sure I want to do that much work but I like the way it locks everything together in the UTB/neck block area.

I know it looks like a lot of extra work but it’s actually really quick. The neck block fits every guitar I make. I only need to cut the extension to length and profile the block for the body radius and cutaway. I make a dozen at a time on the cnc so it’s a matter of reaching for one as needed. I’m down to about 28hrs to build a basic guitar not including finish and any fancy inlays.

I use an acrylic template to make sure the geometry is correct before glueing up the UTB.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: dpetrzelka (Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Michaeldc wrote:
SteveSmith wrote:
I like that Michael. Not sure I want to do that much work but I like the way it locks everything together in the UTB/neck block area.

I know it looks like a lot of extra work but it’s actually really quick. The neck block fits every guitar I make. I only need to cut the extension to length and profile the block for the body radius and cutaway. I make a dozen at a time on the cnc so it’s a matter of reaching for one as needed. I’m down to about 28hrs to build a basic guitar not including finish and any fancy inlays.

I use an acrylic template to make sure the geometry is correct before glueing up the UTB.

Standardizing the neck block and CNC'g them makes good sense. Every guitar I have made is different; I should probably settle on a neck joint design and move forward, it would no doubt save me a lot of time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 am 
Koa
Koa

SteveSmith wrote:
Michaeldc wrote:
SteveSmith wrote:

Standardizing the neck block and CNC'g them makes good sense. Every guitar I have made is different; I should probably settle on a neck joint design and move forward, it would no doubt save me a lot of time.

I use exactly the same block for my “0” as my 27” baritone. Speeds things up a bunch no doubt!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
What a dandy idea! So simple, so easy, so rational, and the brace stabilizes the rim and neck block a whole lot. I will guess that each of us knows somebody whose guitar's neck angle wandered around a fair bit during the top installation as a result of the rim edges moving in or out from the ideal and the movement causing the neck block angle to change.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 am 
Koa
Koa

phavriluk wrote:
What a dandy idea! So simple, so easy, so rational, and the brace stabilizes the rim and neck block a whole lot. I will guess that each of us knows somebody whose guitar's neck angle wandered around a fair bit during the top installation as a result of the rim edges moving in or out from the ideal and the movement causing the neck block angle to change.

Thanks!

Yup...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Larry
Last Name: Hawes
Yes, really nice set up Michael. Inspired for my next build.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

Terence Kennedy wrote:
StevenWheeler wrote:
Terence Kennedy wrote:

Steve

I just popped down into the shop to measure a couple shop demo guitars, one being 6 years old, the other about 3 years old. Neither has budged at all from the original setup numbers. I personally think there’s great benefit to tying the neck block into the UTB. The way you come at it is up to you.

Interesting discussion!

Best, M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I agree, great discussion! For those of you that make the top brace/head block construct part of the rimset do you glue everything up and then radius sand the rimset?

If you angle and flatten the upper bout for proper neck/upper bout alignment I assume you do that after the construct is all glued up as well?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

Terence Kennedy wrote:
I agree, great discussion! For those of you that make the top brace/head block construct part of the rimset do you glue everything up and then radius sand the rimset?

If you angle and flatten the upper bout for proper neck/upper bout alignment I assume you do that after the construct is all glued up as well?

The neck blocks are made completely square (except for the profile radius and the cutaway if present). That way I can clamp the block to the edge of the bench and glue on the pre-jointed rims which allows everything to stay complainer. Once the neck and tail block are glued in, I place them in the form and head to my radius dish and radius top rims and blocks. Then I glue in the linings, back to the dish sander. Then fit and glue in the UTB, back to the dish sander. Finally I install the popsicle stick brace and back to the sander. In the end you get your 1.5° +/- angle.

How I do it anyway,

M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Terence Kennedy (Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:35 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

In a strange way I instinctively tied the last couple of UTB's in to the neck block. Most likely a lot wrong with the details, and no measurements but it made sense intuitively to do so. I will now do the same but with lot more detail to process and intention.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michaeldc wrote:
Terence Kennedy wrote:

The neck blocks are made completely square (except for the profile radius and the cutaway if present). That way I can clamp the block to the edge of the bench and glue on the pre-jointed rims which allows everything to stay complainer. Once the neck and tail block are glued in, I place them in the form and head to my radius dish and radius top rims and blocks. Then I glue in the linings, back to the dish sander. Then fit and glue in the UTB, back to the dish sander. Finally I install the popsicle stick brace and back to the sander. In the end you get your 1.5° +/- angle.

How I do it anyway,

M

Really appreciate your insights Michael. Thank you for sharing them...

These users thanked the author LarryH for the post: Michaeldc (Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:18 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Terence Kennedy wrote:

Yes it did, I haven't had to re-address a setup since.

I think it's interesting that a number of us came up with similar solutions independent of any prior discussion on the subject. Like LarryH said, it just made sense.