All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
I have a '71 Guild F212XL that I have been using as a "chop shop" guitar. I got it as a parts instrument and slowly rebuilt it (neck reset, bridge etc...)

The build on this thing is extremely heavy. It has 3 huge unscalloped tone bars (no idea what they're actually called).

I have done a neck reset on it (along with a PLETHORA of other work) and I have the saddle at maximum height so there's not a problem with that part of it. The tone though is only good when it's being played really hard. I play fingerstyle most of the time so it'd be nice if it responded a little better to a lighter touch.

I'm wondering if scalloping the 3 tone bars would result in a different response and/or tone?

If this is a stupid idea then feel free to say so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Yes it would, probably, its not a stupid idea, though it is a somewhat dangerous one if you don't actually know what you're doing...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Greg
Last Name: Maxwell
City: Mount Vernon
State: Ohio
Focus: Build
In general, pre-1999 Guild 12's from Westerly, RI are considered some of the better-sounding mass-produced 12 strings. I have an early 90's JF65 that sounds very good and I've owned two others that sounded even better. I'd have to get out a mirror to check the top bracing on this model. The backs are laminated and have no braces if memory serves.

With a standard X brace pattern, the X braces carry most of the string load and also determine the resonant frequency of the top. The tone bars help to distribute vibrations evenly around the bridge area of the top. You are probably on solid ground carving the tone bars, more so than the X braces. Carving the tone bars may help to loosen the top and get a bit more responsiveness, although I wouldn't expect miracles because there is a lot more to great tone and response than the shape of the tone bars. The material properties of your top are going to have the most influence on tone, and in a completed guitar they are what they are.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I recently had a 80's guild 12 string Jumbo in the shop with the laminated arched back. This thing was very heavily built.
I mean heavy! The top was extremely stiff-wouldn't flex with any amount of thumb pressure....

Well, This thing sounded incredible! Light fingerpicking, strumming -amazing!

So this goes against all my conceptions (misconceptions?) of what a guitar should be...

Interesting....