Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:52 am 
Koa
Koa

Do you guys do any prethicknessing to your neck blank BEFORE construction?
Like.... is it feasible to thickness the blank to the 10th fret thickness before adding the heal and scarf joint?
Also, what about thicknessing the headstock, for the scarf, before glue up?
I’m just at the end of a neck carve and, as usual, am looking back to see what I can do next time to be more accurate / efficient.
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post: Joe Beaver (Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:32 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Focus: Build
I use a safe-t planer and do both after. I can use a shim under the nut location and get the correct taper. This guitar has a larger than normal taper as the fret board is going to be on a 4 mm wedge. Part of the Gore classical bolt on bolt off.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post (total 2): Joe Beaver (Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 pm) • Aaron O (Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:22 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Yes, I thickness to 5/8" at the nut and 3/4" at the neck joint before gluing the heel and headstock. This also provides an opportunity to eliminate runout in the neck blank. I like the back of the neck to have long open pores. Runout = pinhole pores, which feel irritating and need to be filled.

Tapering the thickness from the top side also pushes the scarf transition line toward the end of the neck, which can sometimes give you that bit of extra length you need on a blank that's otherwise too short :)

I like the headstock to be as thick as possible when glued on, since I carve a pretty big handstop lip. Thinning and flattening the rest of it is a bit of a pain, but goes pretty quick peeling up huge chips with my trusty gouge.

Last edited by DennisK on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post: Carey (Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:17 am 
Koa
Koa

johnparchem wrote:
I use a safe-t planer and do both after. I can use a shim under the nut location and get the correct taper. This guitar has a larger than normal taper as the fret board is going to be on a 4 mm wedge. Part of the Gore classical bolt on bolt off.

That’s interesting....
How do you figure how high to raise the headstock end?
No need for a hold down? Just be careful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Most plans have the thickness at the first and 9 or 10th fret. I calculate the slope of the taper rise over run ... the difference in thickness between the two points divided by the distance between the two points. I multiply the distance between the heel end of my blank and the leading edge of where the shim will go by the calculated slope. The product is the thickness of the shim.

When doing the headstock two hands would be guiding the headstock into the safe-t planer, I removed my hands to take the picture. One does need to be careful,

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Joe Beaver (Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:37 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I use my safety planer to thickness the headstock. I don't know why I never used it for the neck taper.

Brilliant idea John! Thanks for posting!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If you do a "hidden scarf" or modified bridle joint you can taper the neck shaft sides as well as the thickness of the neck shaft, and moves the joint line to the "chin" of the peghead. It also allows you to shape the peghead separate from the shaft. I like it because it saves on wood and allows thinner pieces to be used.
I usually taper the neck shaft thickness with the power jointer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I do mine exactly like John does, safety planer with a shim under the nut.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
I've always band sawed mine but the Safety planer and shim are a great idea. I have a neck that is getting close to that point so I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I used the safety planer at first but gravitated to this approach a long time ago and it works great for me.

The neck blank is rough sawn and the fretboard and headstock surfaces planed flat on the jointer after truing one side of the blank. Then the truss rod slot is cut on the router table and the carbon bar slots on the table saw.

The heel block is glued flattening the area of the block with a drill press disk sander and the neck cut to length on a miter saw.
Using a plexiglass neck profile template and a fretboard template that keys in the trussrod slot the profile is marked as well as the taper.

Cut outside these lines with the bandsaw using a jig that keys in the truss rod slot to hold the neck parallel to the blade.

I made a Robosander jig that has interchangeable bases that match the profile of the various neck shapes I use with the neck being held via pins in the truss rod slot. This sands the final profile into the neck quite accurately assuming the jig is shaped correctly.

After gluing the headstock veneer and shaping the headstock I thickness it with a common belt sander jig.

There is a little freehand work on the volute area with the drill press drum sander holding the neck parallel in the same truss rod indexed jig I use on the band saw but these steps give me a profiled neck with a properly thicknesses headstock.

Just another approach.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
With safety planer like John, available at stew Mac...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:44 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I basically do the same method as the safety planer , but I use my pin router with a large bit and a tapered jig with a key in the truss rod slot.

I have tried all the different ways shown for thicknessing the head, but I have found the fastest,safest and most accurate way to simply set the fence on the bandsaw and cut it.
With my big band saw it cuts it within a few thousanths so only minimal cleanup finishes it.

These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post (total 3): Pmaj7 (Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 am) • dpetrzelka (Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:44 pm) • Colin North (Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 am)