Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Livermore
State: Minnesota
Focus: Build
I have a sneaky suspicion my donut is the cause of some of my binding channel inconsistencies.

Could some of you please post a few pics of what the donut on a binding cutter should look like?

Thanks,
dl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I don't use a donut, just a smooth wedge riding very close to the edge...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I can't say this is what it should look like, but this is what it could look like. The donut that came on my binding cutting tower was an awful small-diameter Delrin-looking ring that looked like a binding accident waiting to happen. I cut it off flush to the plate and then made a donut with a 6" radius dome shape from a piece of scrap 2 x 4 fir and double stick taped it to the router plate on the tower. It's been on there for about 7 years and does the job no problem. If I did again, I would make it all nice and spiffy to look at, but there's been no need so there you have it.

Attachment:
DIY Binding jig doughnut.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:14 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
My 3rd iteration, don't know if this is what one "should look like", but works for me.
UHMWP, glued and screwed.
Very close to the cutter, steepish slope, sharpish edge, but rounded off lightly.
My tower jig is counterbalanced to reduce weight on the donut, to around 440 g IIRC (15 oz)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

Last edited by Colin North on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:02 am 
Koa
Koa

I’ve always wondered why my stewmac jig has such a small one?!?!
I agree .... a wider one would out my mind at ease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
The router isn't mounted, but there are the base screws I was looking for the other day.

UHMW, I double stick taped it to a face plate on my wood lathe.

Kevin Looker

These users thanked the author klooker for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This is what I am using but I'm always looking for something better. It works but I just threw it together too. I don't really have the tools and or perhaps the skills to make one so I keep thinking what's already out there in the wild that can be repurposed. This is the collar of a door knob, or whatever it's called. I had since filed that little edge flush.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:56 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Off the topic, but Colin is that also some tape round the bearing to give you a different cut thickness?

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Dave m2 wrote:
Off the topic, but Colin is that also some tape round the bearing to give you a different cut thickness? Dave

Yup, 6mm copper shielding tape IIRC, sticks like ****, and works a treat.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
You all are some creative folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Looks like Jay and Colin don't have any flat area, am I seeing that right? What are the ideas for and against if any?

I think both of mine do, one more than the other, but I'm not at home this week.

New username, same Pat Mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Pat, not much at all in my case, as I said just slightly rounded off.
My idea is to keep the binding ledge height variation to a minimum, especially at the neck end of the back, and for wedged guutars.
Same reason for the minimum clearance to the cutter.
The further away the contact point of the donut on the guitar is from the cutter, the greater any height variations will be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

ImageImage

Crude, but works perfectly.
I have been using it for over 20 years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Here is my reasoning, and I am curious to hear other opinions. It seems like you would want a flat section at least as wide as your binding. Because if you slip off and down the cutter would not start traveling down until the flat ring clears The Binding.

It seems like if you had a zero clearance Donut with no flat spot it would be hard to keep it riding on the top and as soon as you accidentally moved away from the guitar the cutter would immediately start going down deeper than you want.

Brad, you are going to put donut makers out of business! LOL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Pmaj7 wrote:
Here is my reasoning, and I am curious to hear other opinions. It seems like you would want a flat section at least as wide as your binding. Because if you slip off and down the cutter would not start traveling down until the flat ring clears The Binding.

It seems like if you had a zero clearance Donut with no flat spot it would be hard to keep it riding on the top and as soon as you accidentally moved away from the guitar the cutter would immediately start going down deeper than you want.

I really dont find it hard to keep the donut riding on the top, but if you're going to accidentally move away from the guitar by your reasoning I think you would want the flat section of the donut PLUS the clearance from the cutter from the donut to be greater than your binding OR purfling width.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Here are a couple of donuts I have used hand held to cut binding and purfling channels. The first one I made from plexiglas and it has a larger diameter circle. For fairly flat work it worked O.K. With more strongly arched plates I found the smaller diameter corian donut rode closer to the edge and gave a better result. I have thought about making a binding rig like some of those I have seen on the forum, but thinking about it is as far as I've gotten.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Sorry. Couldn't resist... Somebody had to do it... pizza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Pmaj7 wrote:

Those donuts that are small in diameter and flat are the type of donut I was referring to above as looking like a binding accident waiting to happen. I know that people use them successfully, but that's the way they look to me. That's why I cut the original donut off my tower and replaced it with the domed one.

My Dome Donut™ :D has a 6" radius so it's a fairly flat dome and it's 3" across. With the dome shape, there is no way for the cutter to slip and suddenly drop off an edge like on a small diameter flat donut short of pulling the body more than 1 inch away from the cutter and then you would be dropping the whole router off the edge of the body. Some major inattention would be needed for that to happen. The gradual and wide dome shape also makes for controlled and smooth introduction of the body to the cutter without having to negotiate a lip to get onto the donut. In my case, the donut isn't zero clearance. There is a 1/8" gap between the cutter and the edge of the donut hole.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Spector
City: ORANGE
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 77632
I was having trouble seeing out the rear view on my old truck so I took this off and got to thinking that it might work for a donut on the binding cutter jig. I already have one I made out of plastic but don't see why these won't work. I drilled a hole through it and it seems pretty rigid even though it's semi hollow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
I don't have a picture, but I made a donut. This is how I did it.

- Took an old worn high density plastic cutting board and cut a piece out of it with the band saw.

- Drilled a hole in the center and put a bolt through it. I attached a nut to hold the plastic tight.

- Put the bolt in my drill press and used a chisel like a lathe and turned the piece into a donut shape.

- Took the bolt out and used a Forstner bit to drill a 1 inch hole to accommodate the router bit and bearing.

- Mounted the donut with screws on the bottom of my router mount.