It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Neck block width and why
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

For those of you who use a mortis, how much wood do you leave on each side of the tenon? Does a wider block help stability in the upper bout?
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
On non-cutaway guitars, 1 1/4" on each side. On cutaway guitars, 1 1/4" on the non-cutaway side and, on the cutaway side of the block, 11/16" + or - a bit depending on the width of the fretboard at the body.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Mine are 2 3/4” cause that’s why. No matter style of attachment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Mine look like this. I make them about 2-5/8 to 2-3/4" wide. The reason is most of my fingerboards are 2-3/8" at the 14th fret. That means that the block is a little wider than the neck heal and the finger board. That give me good base to attach the neck to the body.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post: johnparchem (Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:28 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:16 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We use a 1-3/4" depth by 3/4" wider-than-body-fret width at body (but not less than 3" width for standard guitars). We also use a chamfer on the unglued edges of the block and an elliptical or otherwise abbreviated and tapered UTG on non-vintage work to spread the loads in the neck area across the top to the bracing and rim.

Another option to address the shear loads (due to dissimilar rates of movement on the fretboard versus body seen on glued extension guitars) is to use a friable or low strength adhesive such as Elmer's Glue-All. This ensures a low strength bond that acts as a fuse by allowing the extension to separate from the top before the top cracks, protecting the structure at the expense of whatever stiffness contribution comes from a rigid, not-creeping joint glued with hide glue. Mr. Proulx uses this approach with some success.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:44 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
FWIW. Since I build ukes that have narrow FB , I make my necks from laminated soft hdwd plywood.Titebond to laminate the ply block. We use fish glue , fast tack, and easier to remove to glue it down and for future repair. If the fb is e,g 44mm wide at the body joint we will use a block 42 mm in width to prevent cracks. I prefer plywood as IMHO as there is less seasonal movement .

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post: pkdz (Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:26 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Alan
Last Name: Jones
City: Cobble Hill
State: British Columbia
I go with 2 3/4" regardless of attachment. These were made today.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Ernie, your neck blocks are less wide than the fingerboards passing over them?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 am 
Koa
Koa

Yes ed they are for our ukes. The Fb is almoost in a straight line to the top of the uke bridge , and it is only 3/16 in or 4 .5mm. in thickness. This allows for a variation in neck thickness and shape . Ukes are light . so there is not as much pressure exerted on the neck block as in a guitar . On the soprano, concert and tenor models , the FB sometimes only goes to the 12 th fret which means just a small section of FB is hanging over the top and upper neck block area . I also shy away from using hard fb/s like ebony preferng rosewood . hard locust and persimmon, these woods are accesible
here , but not so mjuch in Van.Furthermore. by using fish glue . we get a fast tack to center the fb and clamp. If Problems arise, the fb can be taken off and easily replaced or repaired if necessary . Have not seen any cracking around the soundhole. I have built at least 75 ukes. I cannot say if this would work on a guitar. because guitars and ukes are similiar and different in a number of ways . As always experiment on scrap. Bon chance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 am 
Koa
Koa

Guitars get a much wider block for cl and ss. Usually a laminated ply or bass or willow and ply on top and bottom