Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: Itzkin
State: NY/Granada
Focus: Build
I plan to buy a thickness sander this week and am unable to decide between the Jet 16-32 and the new Supermax 16-32. While the Jet model has glowing reviews online, the supermax has some interesting new features like macro adjustment and a digital display to indicate sanding depth. Both seem like high quality machines but I was curious if anyone had any direct experience with either

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
As sanders go in general, both are good. I consider Supermax to be a bit higher quality in their construction; more metal, less plastic, more robust parts. Supermax is staffed by the people who worked for Performax before that brand name was sold to Jet.

A consideration: if you are committed to buying one or the other, think about going for the slightly wider models each brand carries, the 18 or 19 inch sanders. 16 inches is a tight fit for a dreadnought top/back. Remember that the edges of the sandpaper leave ridges in the work unless you slightly tilt the drum (which, admittedly, is easier now, thanks to features on the sanders for this). The extra width saves you from having to deal with that. Just something to think about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 am 
Koa
Koa

My Jet 16 - 32 is not 16 wide, because the drum is not centered over bed and is not adjustable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Go for the Supermax 19-38 is you can swing it. It’s only $200 more, weighs almost twice as much (cast iron construction not aluminum) and gives you that little bit of extra capacity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Larry
Last Name: Hawes
Got this a couple months ago and could not be happier with its operation. Super solid, quiet and powerful. I think their new 16/32 has some new features but the 19" width is nice. Just missed sale on same but shipping is still free.

No experience with Jet.

Let us know what you get.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/wo ... er-71938-d

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
I have the Jet but if I ever replace it I'll go for the Supermax and I'll buy the next size larger.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
I’ve had a supermax sander in my shop for 10 years now. This thing has been a near faultless workhorse.
I have run miles of wood through with virtually no problems. The support at supermax, in Minnesota, has very knowledgeable people on the other end of the phone.
Also, buy the premarked bulk rolls from klingspors woodworking store, way easier than using unmarked bulk.

My 2bits...
B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:49 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
You also might consider a woodmaster sander, the older 26 in models are well made single drum sanders. They may turn up in your area . They are a KC MO co and parts are readily available and the customer service is excellent. I have their 36 in model and it does a great job with a 5 hp motor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:05 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
I got the Supermax 16-32 in the fall. Great sander, but I wish I had stepped up to the wider version. It does work to flip the piece around to do the other side, but it is a learned technique that I have not mastered yet. Keep in mind that 16" really gives you about 14.5 to 15" of good sanding drum. So the wider unit really does allow you to easily do most tops and backs.

The quick adjust is nice, but I don't use it much. I've turned the digital gage on, but never really used it for anything. It's nice to zero out when you know how much more you want to take off, but it's useless in terms of telling you how thick your piece actually is. I just keep my calipers handy.

I did have a problem with the drive on the feed belt. The shaft of the motor actually broke off. The replaced it immediately with a new motor, only to find that it did not fit the spindle that runs along the belt. They replaced that too without question. Back up and running with no additional issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Probably out of the price range, but our Jet 22-44 ODS is amazing. Jet's shift from aluminum to cast iron base castings occurs between the consumer drum sander line (10-20, 16-32, and 18-36), and their small pro cabinet shop-focused 22-44. While our 16-32 was adequate for small work-pieces such as guitar-sized work, the 22-44 has no issues handling much larger work, and does not give up any of the finesse of the smaller sanders in doing so. Besides the heavier construction and very beefy bed assembly, the ODS adds oscillation of the drum to the 22-44 platform, which eliminates sanding scratches and avoids resin buildup on the paper when working some rosewoods, bloodwood, and other pitch-laden timber. We've found no good reason to vary from 80 grit - the ODS feature helps the paper run cooler and clean, and cut more like 60 grit, while the finish off the tool is actually more scratch-free than our old 16-32 running 220. Ebony looks like it has been sanded with 150 on the Dynabrade ROS...very nice.

All this comes at a price, with the closed stand 22-44 ODS $400 more than the closed stand 22-44 and about $1000 more than the 19-38 Supermax/Laguna open stand sander.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Itzkin
State: NY/Granada
Thanks everyone. I quickly decided to go with Supermax over Jet. What took a while was deciding on which size; while the cast iron construction and larger capacity of the 19" model were very appealing I ultimately went with the 16-32. My largest guitar model is my OM interpretation which is only 14.75" wide at the lower bout so I don't think I should be too greatly hindered by the smaller capacity. While I have access to a very large basement workshop right now, I plan to move to a small Brooklyn studio within the year where I'l need to roll this machine in a corner so the compact size was the ultimate selling point. Thanks again for all of your help!