Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
Focus: Repair
I'm thinking of using a rotary table for this...

Mount the neck in such a way that it cuts a taper and use the rotary table to pre-carve the neck...

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Peter
Last Name: Fenske
City: Leeds
State: Yorkshire
Focus: Build
Slightly off topic, but for those without a thickness sander or a milling machine, how about a router sled like you'd use for flattening a large slab? Seems like itd be pretty easy to make and wouldn't need any special tools. Double sided tape would hold the piece securely enough and milling it like that should eliminate tearout in figured wood.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

https://www.facebook.com/FenskeGuitars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

How did the facemill as a planer work out?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Using a router jig is the same as using a face mill. The problem with them is like I said, clamping is a huge issue. I'm not sure double sided tape holds it secure enough especially with the surface being uneven for the piece to not fly out.

In any case I can always use someone else's thickness sander until I have one myself...

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Tai Fu wrote:
Using a router jig is the same as using a face mill. The problem with them is like I said, clamping is a huge issue. I'm not sure double sided tape holds it secure enough especially with the surface being uneven for the piece to not fly out.

In any case I can always use someone else's thickness sander until I have one myself...

If 3 strips of double sised tape can hold my figerboards blanks for radiusing with a router, and they can hold my neck blanks for tapering with a Safe-T-planer, I'm pretty dang sure double sided tape will manage a neck blank for tapering with a router.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:28 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

That fly cutter is cutting a 4 inch circle sometimes removing 3/32 inch of wood at a time. It’s exerting a lot more force than a router. If it flies out it does so with great force. That mill I have is capable of cutting about half inch or more depth of chrome moly steel using a one inch end mill. It’s quite strong.

Typhoon Guitars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Do you use your mill at full capacity all the time? 1/2" depth in chrome moly steel with a 1" cutter?
Do you use your router to full bit cut depth all the time?
Right, neither do I.
With my FB radiusing router, as with my Safe T Planer for neck blanks, it's more like 0.5mm cuts.
Sharp cutter, light cuts and steady progress are the order of the day.
And as you say, a router will likely exert less force than a Safe T Planer, given same depth of cut.
Hence my comment that I'm sure double sided tape is man enough for a router/sled setup for neck tapering.
P.S. it would be a bit silly to taper a neck blank before truing the top surface...….

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

You're right, I don't make insane depth of cut, but when cutting wood especially with a fly cutter (which sweeps a much wider arc than a Safe T Planer by the way, I can in fact plane an entire side or even back in one pass) depth of cut has a way of suddenly growing. I'm trying to think of a way to hold it securely but without stuff sticking out. Another complication is my mill has only 24 inches of table movement, which means if I want to plane a longer piece like a side or even a neck blank, I have to unclamp and move the piece in order to plane it. This isn't a problem with the Safe T Planer because I can hand feed it without worrying about my safety. Cutting force grows dramatically if a hump in the wood or even poor clamping (because a piece sticks up), leading to serious problems. Routers have no way to exert that kind of force at all.

Typhoon Guitars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Tai Fu wrote:
You're right, I don't make insane depth of cut,...………….. leading to serious problems. Routers have no way to exert that kind of force at all.

If you actually read my posts
Quote:
If 3 strips of double sised tape can hold my figerboards blanks for radiusing with a router, and they can hold my neck blanks for tapering with a Safe-T-planer, I'm pretty dang sure double sided tape will manage a neck blank for tapering with a router.

and
Quote:
Hence my comment that I'm sure double sided tape is man enough for a router/sled setup for neck tapering.

you would see I'm actually talking about the use of a ROUTER for a jig to make a neck tsper, as in PeterF's post.
NOT your mill fly cutter setup.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I use my safety planer to establish outside contours for archings on violins and arch top guitars. It gets off about 75 % or more of the wood in a hurry, and makes the clean-up easy because you have lots of guide points to go on. I can't think of many better ways to do this.