Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Focus: Build
I am a true amateur, having built 8 instruments over 6 years and never having sold one. I recently had some epoxy supplies that I offered and Clay S. responded. He said he would use them in the construction of a small boat. I sent them to him and noted that his address was about an hour and a half away. And I also mentioned that I volunteer on a tall ship in town and that we were given a couple of barely-started small boats as a donation and would like to find them a home.

Clay and his brother Dave made the trip, got a tour of our tall ship, took one of the boats home and will be back for the other, and then we retired to my house a few blocks away and talked guitars. I learned a bunch and had a great time. Clay is also an amateur, but a very serious one. He makes all sorts of stringed instruments, not just guitars, and we talked woods and techniques.

I got to show him the Brazilian Rosewood that I was recently given as 2 boards, and another OLFer was kind enough to cut into sets for/with me. That shop was was a couple hours away, and very informative to visit - the guitars under construction were just beautiful.

So if you live near someone who builds, go see them or have them over. It's a guaranteed good time and it's happened to me twice in a month.

Ed

Last edited by Ruby50 on Sat May 04, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Ruby50 for the post (total 2): dpetrzelka (Sat May 04, 2019 10:41 am) • Michaeldc (Sat May 04, 2019 8:57 am)

Post subject: Re: Visit
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Agreed, I love visiting other luthier shops, especially the ones who know so much more than I do. Regardless, I learn something new from everyone! Wish I was close enough to come visit your tall ship - last one I was on was the Cutty Sark which is in permanent dry dock but was a great experience.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Right on! Been watching lots of sailing vids lately...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Ed, We are only an hour apart. Come by sometime and I'll take you over to my brothers dock and let you visit the Maggie S Meyers. The worlds oldest working oyster schooner. Still works the bay under sail nearly every day.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Brian

I will do that. Have seen pictures of her and discussions, but never seen her. Have sailed on New Jersey's, A J Meerwold, and I was at an event for Victory Chimes when she got as close to Bethel as she could on the hundredth anniversary of her launching there - still with no engine. 2006??

Ed

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Trains and Boats and Planes as Burt and Hal might say! And guitars and the wonderful hospitality of Mr. Ed Minch and the people of Chestertown. My Brother and I enjoyed the day visiting the Sultana and chatting with Ed about our mutual interests in boats and boat building, model railroading, old tools and of course guitar making. I saw some of the beautiful creations Ed has made and enjoyed playing them (albeit badly). My brother and Ed talked about a shared interest in Lionel trains and model railroading. Ed showed us some of the unique wood working planes and other tools he has collected over the years. Dave and I enjoyed spending time with Ed and his wife at their beautiful home near the Chester river.
My brother and his son are going to take on one of the strip built boat kits Ed and the Sultana group has generously given us and I will attempt the other one.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:21 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Ruby50 wrote:
Brian

I will do that. Have seen pictures of her and discussions, but never seen her. Have sailed on New Jersey's, A J Meerwold, and I was at an event for Victory Chimes when she got as close to Bethel as she could on the hundredth anniversary of her launching there - still with no engine. 2006??

Ed

When my brother bought her 30+ years ago she was de-masted and diesel only. He has since stepped two masts back onto her but has retained the diesel as well, she is a working dredge boat and needs to earn everyday. The new mizzen mast is a bit farther aft than original due to a wheelhouse that was added and retained so she is rigged as a ketch currently. They did a documentary some years back about her when my brother added the main mast http://www.wboc.com/story/20031050/rbiff-white-gold-delawares-oyster-industry?clienttype=printable

Just a few days ago he tended 200 crab pots under sail only (a first ever in history to our knowledge) using the diesel only in and out the channel to home port.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:23 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Brian,
It sounds like a neat boat. It seems like many of the same people who build musical instruments also have an interest in watercraft.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Rodger
Last Name: Knox
City: Baltimore
Zip/Postal Code: 21234
Hey Ed,
I'm about halfway between you and Clay, just west of Baltimore. It's been over 15 years since I've seen Clay, he helped me out before I had a bandsaw and drum sander. I'll be retiring from my day job in a few months and will have time to get together.