PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Focus: Build
I would say that nobody would ever notice that unless they had a reason to try and determine if it was bookmatched.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

On further thought, a flip match may not hide the run out as I originally thought. oops_sign
Although you are keeping the same face up, similar to a slip match, you are making the tree grow upside down. Oh Well! it was fun while it lasted!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Clay S. wrote:
On further thought, a flip match may not hide the run out as I originally thought. oops_sign
Although you are keeping the same face up, similar to a slip match, you are making the tree grow upside down. Oh Well! it was fun while it lasted!

No I think it does hide runnout but puts the top of the tree on opposite ends on each side. At least, I think. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are calling flip match. I THINK you are saying that you open the book as normal and then flip one half longways. By that I mean that if the top of the tree was oriented towards the heel side of the top now you make one half with the top of the tree on the tail side. I think this does hide the runnout as you suggested. The reflection of light on the picture you posted bears that out. At least, I think so. . .

When you say slip match, I am picturing the two halves being spread out but not opening like a book. Now you have the top of the tree on the same side but one half has the bark side in the middle and the other has the pith side in the middle. In theory, that should also hide the runnout but it assumes the runnout is the same across the board.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Bryan,
Yeah you are understanding me correctly as to the definition of flip match vs. slip match. Thinking back I seem to remember a discussion on the MIMF about this same idea years ago and eventually coming to the conclusion it - wouldn't - work. Some ideas are like a little maggot in the brain that eventually bore their way into consciousness long after you thought they had pupated, matured, and flown away.
It's possible I'm wrong about being wrong, but I don't think so. Trees don't grow upside down, unless perhaps for Jerry Uelsmann.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I believe that to match the runout you would have to flip the inside edge for the outside edge on one side.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:06 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
SteveSmith wrote:
I believe that to match the runout you would have to flip the inside edge for the outside edge on one side.

Yes, that's the only way it will work, by keeping the top side the top. I think that should be called a slip matched joint. On my violin belly with the very curly grain I needed the thickness of the wedge. By opening it up book matched, and then flipping it I was able to match the curvy grain...but it seems if there was any FLOW to the grain, then that wouldn't match. It didn't seem to have enough to worry about.

This Redwood guitar top is another story. It doesn't like going against the grain, I'll have to go sideways a lot. I had to cut it diagonally to get the height, and it got the growth lines oriented pretty well doing that. I would think that on an arch top, straight up and down isn't any better than fan shaped. Maybe I'm wrong. It's happened before.

Attachment:
20190525_094252.jpeg

I thought I had a photo of the end grain, but I have a photo of the side. It is pretty wild grain. Rings like crazy.

Attachment:
20190130_122924 2.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: SteveSmith (Sat May 25, 2019 12:05 pm)