All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:17 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Tracz
How do you all attach your guitar labels inside the guitar? I’ve avoided labels but too many of my instruments aren’t with their original owners...

I’d also love to know what type of paper you prefer and even what information you put on there as well. Post pictures if your label if you like. If you don’t have one share one that inspires you. I’m looking for all the help I can get.

Thank you in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/mustcreatethings

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:56 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Last Name: Smith
City: Graton
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95444
Focus: Build
I go to the art store an find a paper that looks classy.
I print with a laser printer
Sign with archival super fine felt pen (also purchased at the art supply store)
dry signature with a blow dryer then spary with a light coat of Krylon protective over the front of label
place the label where I want it
take a piece of green or blue making tape and tape one edge that will act as a hinge
coat the back with yellow or white glue (spread that glue with a credit card) with a piece of paper under the hinged back label to keep glue from the back.
hinge back in place and remove or slightly add needed glue.

The main thing to get is to hing the label into place. Trying to plop it down just where you want it may lead to madness.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I make simple labels on my computer. I usually use Powerpoint but Word works also. I print the labels (I use two for each guitar), on a nice Goldenrod colored paper. I sign the label and spray with a protector the same as Mike above. Then I cut the labels out and glue with the kind of stick glue kids use in school. I also have an ink stamp kit and stamp on the back joint reinforcement- J. Beaver Guitars, Serial # and the date the guitar was built.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
I use a software from Hallmark.
I use double sided tape for attaching them.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I use an ink jet printer on parchment colored resume paper. Attach with thinned Tite Bond and then paint the surface with thinned Tite Bond, kind of like decoupage. I have a sign (drill sizes) in the shop I did this way over 20 years ago and it is still sharp and clear.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:45 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
SteveSmith wrote:
I use an ink jet printer on parchment colored resume paper. Attach with thinned Tite Bond and then paint the surface with thinned Tite Bond, kind of like decoupage. I have a sign (drill sizes) in the shop I did this way over 20 years ago and it is still sharp and clear.

This is how I do it, too. Thinned TB or lately I've been using thinned fish glue. I have a couple of different sizes depending on the instrument. Still fiddling with the text.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

Been considering a branding iron myself, but another luthier I know simply uses a stamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chris
Last Name: Wood
City: Chester Springs
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19425
Nice paper, print with laser printer. I glue them in with a kid's glue stick, which works great.

Chris-

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gleason
City: Kurtistown
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96760
The nicest paper and best archival ink won't protect your labels from dirt, insects, moisture, etc. I print my labels, write whatever I need to write on them, leave them oversize, apply 3M 468MP ( The stuff that luthier's supplies sell for pick guards, but that is much cheaper on Amazon.) double stick to the back side, then apply stationery store adhesive clear protector to the front side., cut out the shape, and then stick it to the instrument. No glue to smear or soak through the paper. Makes a very clean, pretty permanent label. I always stick my labels below the sound hole on the back so that viewers are not having to look at the label through the soundhole. I think it distracts from the clean look of the instrument.

These users thanked the author Pegasusguitars for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri May 24, 2019 12:22 am)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:59 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Orr
Printed on an inkjet in Word. Permanent marker for details, couple of coats of shellac and stuck in place with Titebond using tape hinge as described by Michael Smith above.

The Latin is from the Cumpiano book and translates as "I was alive in the forest, I was cut by the cruel axe, In life I was silent, In death I sweetly sing" (or at least I hope it does!)

Attachment:
guitar label001.jpg

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Allen
City: San Francisco
Most people know this, but ordinary modern papers are acidic, making them yellow and fall to pieces over the decades. For long-term applications use acid free paper. Most papers sold for artistic use are acid free and say so on their packaging or in the display at the store.

A consideration for label content: if you are avoiding dalbergias and shell products in case any of your guitars are taken across international borders, your label could list the common and species names of the materials you use instead. Not a guarantee of no hassle at the border, but it can't hurt and might help.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:50 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I use good artist paper as well and a laser jet printer. I sign it, put the year, sometimes month and year and a number that indicates information about the guitar. For example the image below it's my 53rd guitar 3rd parlor guitar. I've since changed that to CB to indicate that it a particular parlor guitar. But anyway I'm the only one who would ever know what that means but it might be interesting some day if it ever comes back through my shop. I typically use Titebond or White Glue. I don't remember what guitar it was that came through my repair shop probably some 20 years ago but the label inside looked like it had burnt edges adn I always liked that look so I adopted it. I use a cigarette lighter to burn and char the edge of the label.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Very cool label John

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post: jfmckenna (Fri May 24, 2019 7:43 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:17 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Last Name: Tracz
Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions. I’m going to work on my label this weekend and hopefully have something to share soon.

I love this place and all the the help you offer!

And excellent labels, sincere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/mustcreatethings

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
I use dilute Titebond (50/50?). Here is one I had a friend make for me to my design - he used Photoshop. Printed on a conventional printer on conventional paper, with the glue carefully brushed on because it can cause the ink to bleed. This was for a Nick Lucas Special copy I made for my blues playing daughter. Labels are VERY important.

Ed