PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Focus: Build
OK, the other day I said that I cut my neck narrow. I don't think that the neck is so narrow, I just had the space for it on the block too big. Right now the neck is 47.7 mm at the nut, and 57.5 at the block, the 14th fret. About where I wanted it. Does that sound about right? I figure with the fingerboard and trimming it will be 47/57. I must have taken measurements off my drawing, and not reality. This is what I have.

The bass side:
Attachment:
20190601_180403.jpeg

the treble side:
Attachment:
20190601_180332.jpeg

I have no idea what to do with it.

At least the dovetail fits pretty good.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

One possibility would be to glue on a strip of wood, shape the heel to remove most of it. Use some wood filler(or bondo) to hide the seam and paint the heel and "chin" of the peghead black as is often done.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2xRcNWyQwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at in the first photo. Is that a gap between the end of the bass side and the heel of the neck?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Those dimensions are fine. I prefer about 45mm at the nut, but I went a bit wider on my last guitar to increase the string spacing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:03 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Perhaps a shot or two to aid us in orienting ourselves re: what we have been asked to look at and comment on.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:27 am 
Koa
Koa

Here are some better pics. Nice and bright this morning. I'm tired of cold, rain and gloom.

The treble side isn't flush with the side:

Attachment:
20190602_083617.jpeg

The bass side, I cut the rib back too far, probably from the drawing instead of measuring the neck. The neck wasn't even made yet, but I knew it was 57 or so, Why did I cut it at 62 or so?

Attachment:
20190602_083629.jpeg

Maybe cut a matching piece of birdseye and add it to the treble side of the neck, and trim flush after it is glued on?

Carry the binding down the side of the neck on the base side, connecting the top and back?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I would vote for filling the gap on the bass side by running binding alongside the heel like you suggest.

Why is there a gap? Does the bass side not continue through the neck joint and butt against the inside of the treble side? Is the neck resting directly against the neck block?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

The neck is directly on the back. I've made violins, and that's the way they are done. The cutaway complicates the neck, otherwise it would be could like a violin neck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

"The neck is directly on the back" means that there is no side material between the neck end and the face of the neck block?

The standard approach used for guitars with a cutaway is to run the bass side all the way through the neck/body joint and butt it to the inside face of the treble side end. The side material in the neck/body joint area isn't removed to fit the neck to the body. On non-cutaway guitars, the ends of both sides meet at the center line and are not removed to fit the neck to the body. This is the case for both dovetail necks and bolt-on necks.

Here's an example for a guitar with a cutaway:

Attachment:
Dovetail neck joint cutway guitar 2.jpg

For the cutaway side on your guitar, you may be able to do something like below with binding depending on how thick your treble side is at the end and and how thick the binding you are using is. There would still be an edge showing along that side of the heel, but it would be the edge of the binding which could look fine.

Attachment:
Cutaway binding.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:27 pm 
Koa
Koa

My neck join is like that; but all the way through, and directly on the block with no maple side there. Binding on both sides sounds like a great idea. Thanks.