PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Focus: Build
I built a 1/2 scale guitar and used some wire that is .08 X .037 X .06. I measured the stuff on the old classic I have. I think I bought some on a roll, and this bag of 6 feet of shorter pieces that I may not have used. I don't remember. Oh, I remember! I used some wire in an old banjo kit some guy at work gave me. There's a little left, it's even narrower. I threw everything else out! It didn't even have skin. Maybe they bought the kit for that.

Thirty six thou seems pretty low. Would it be good on a full size arch top? I'm still thinking of using nylon strings if that makes any difference. If the nylon won't drive it, I'll just put steels on it, and lower the bridge.

It seems that taller would be easier to play, and the fingerboard would get less wear.

What do you guys think? I really don't know anything.

Nickel, Gold EVO, Stainless? High, low, medium, highest, Jumbo? It's like having to choose at a restaurant!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

How about files or stones for crowning and polishing?

I'm making an Amazon wish list for Father's Day and my birthday. Might as well get something cool. I used some cheap needle files the last time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I would go to the LMI and StewMac sites. They are sponsors here. You can click on their links at the top of the page. They have a good selection of fret wire and tools. They also tell about each wire size and the common uses for it. Once you have an idea which wire/tools interest you come back here and ask whatever questions you may have.

I should have added, for SS acoustic I use mostly Nickel/silver. From LMI I use FW74 and from Jescar it's FW43080 which is basically the same wire.

That should get you on your way.

Last edited by Joe Beaver on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
.036 is low, but you say it's banjo wire. That's pretty close to what Gibson was using on their "fretless wonder" Les Pauls years ago. I have refretted guitars with that when the client called for it. And for a 1/2 scale guitar, low and narrow would probably be better for intonation which really counts on shorter scales (like a mandolin). Nylons are fine, but don't forget about silk and steel sets. I recommend them for beginners or for guitars with high action and a neck reset is out of the question. The silk core on the wound strings make them easy to play and still have some volume on an archtop. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I was surprised that the tension of silk and steel strings is about the same as bronze extra light gauge strings.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:52 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Lots of good advice here and I'll add that the player can make a difference too.

Been conducting a multi-year informal survey since we do about 100 refrets annually and there is an age component too.

Older, half dead guys like me sometimes referred to as White Walkers 60 years old or up usually prefer more traditional fret wire meaning not stuff taller than .043" and usually not wider than .090". Jumbo wire is more a product of the shredder era and although many people if not most prefer it these days folks wishing to recapture the feel of the guitars of their youth who are my age and even moldier like shorter wire.

Jescar is our preference so much so that we recently declined to work for an A-lister who insisted on Dunlap jumbo wire. I know this will be controversial but the A-lister relented and loves his Jescar wire and says he's a convert now and just didn't know that there are workability differences.

We like Jescar, and you can now buy small quantities from them too making this easier. Jescar cuts, files, sands great and the tang quality and consistency seems to be best in breed.

Regarding presents of Luthery stuff related to fretting Dan's Book available at SM is a classic. Diamond crowning files are a staple in our shop as is the fret end file, a three quarter file, OOOO steel wool, 320 sand paper and most importantly a long 18" leveling beam like we use. Nippers and fret "lifters" are important and if you are really adventurous the 3M wheels, four of them to make a Collins fret buffer are about to $300. Images of the fret buffer are on this forum and some of the guys here have made them.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:08 am 
Koa
Koa

The .08 X .037 wire is 6 feet of Jescar in 8" lengths. I might as well use it. I'll have to be sure that the fretboard is right, there isn't a lot on top to fix a sloppy fretboard.

A flat beam. Sounds easy? It isn't. Even the bases for a couple of dial depth gauges at work aren't flat, and they're supposed to be gauges! You would think that they could grind 6" within a tenth or so, not a thou. What people don't understand is that the machines doing that have to be of even greater precision. The surface grinder at work is old, and good enough for some things; but dead flat. No. Not even close. Even after grinding the magnet.

Lapping is an option. It is almost a lost art, but could be done with a suitable beam of metal, a scraper, and a sheet of glass. The beam shouldn't bend, so square tubing, or I beams would work. Flat stock stiff enough to not bend would be too heavy to use. For the time involved, $60 for a flat piece of metal is a bargain. Save lapping for a joining plane.

If it isn't flat why do they even sell it? Yeah, I know to make money, but don't they have a conscience?

I like the way the offset z file from StewMac looks. You'd end up with two facets on each side that would blend together. At least that's the way it seems. Less contact points on bot sides sounds like it would go very fast.

Do the diamonds hold up? I haven't found diamond card sharpeners to my liking. Diamond 3m paper is good, but you keep moving to different sections when they wear.

On the other hand, those fret erasers look like they would work great. They would wear away like rubber wheels on a chop saw, revealing fresh grit. It seems like a coarse grit would round those facets right out, and a 1000 grit would almost polish.

What do you guys use to polish frets?

Any thoughts on this so far?

Hah, I'm a dead man walking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
There is a search function on this site that works really well. All these questions have been discussed to death before.

I use an 18" long carpenter's level stood on edge for a sanding beam. Find one with smooth sides and you have a cheap, straight, and light sanding beam.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:52 am 

Ken Nagy wrote:
The .08 X .037 wire is 6 feet of Jescar in 8" lengths. I might as well use it. I'll have to be sure that the fretboard is right, there isn't a lot on top to fix a sloppy fretboard.

A flat beam. Sounds easy? It isn't. Even the bases for a couple of dial depth gauges at work aren't flat, and they're supposed to be gauges! You would think that they could grind 6" within a tenth or so, not a thou. What people don't understand is that the machines doing that have to be of even greater precision. The surface grinder at work is old, and good enough for some things; but dead flat. No. Not even close. Even after grinding the magnet.

Lapping is an option. It is almost a lost art, but could be done with a suitable beam of metal, a scraper, and a sheet of glass. The beam shouldn't bend, so square tubing, or I beams would work. Flat stock stiff enough to not bend would be too heavy to use. For the time involved, $60 for a flat piece of metal is a bargain. Save lapping for a joining plane.

If it isn't flat why do they even sell it? Yeah, I know to make money, but don't they have a conscience?

I like the way the offset z file from StewMac looks. You'd end up with two facets on each side that would blend together. At least that's the way it seems. Less contact points on bot sides sounds like it would go very fast.

Do the diamonds hold up? I haven't found diamond card sharpeners to my liking. Diamond 3m paper is good, but you keep moving to different sections when they wear.

On the other hand, those fret erasers look like they would work great. They would wear away like rubber wheels on a chop saw, revealing fresh grit. It seems like a coarse grit would round those facets right out, and a 1000 grit would almost polish.

What do you guys use to polish frets?

Any thoughts on this so far?

Hah, I'm a dead man walking.

Ken you might want to limit your questions a bit at a time, there is a lot that you are asking here making it difficult to comment thoughtfully without writing War and Peace.

Our leveling beams are lapped on a calibrated surface plate. I have no idea what you have at work and wonder why this matters in respect to the questions that you originally asked. We've also worked with some leveling beams from Stew Mac and an eBay vendor who is a member here and they were all pretty flat. We lap our beams to have less than .0005" of error over the span of 18", 12", 9" and 6". We have longer beams for basses too. And yes it does take time, so does building a quality instrument.

For acoustic guitars the level of precision that I speak of and we do at our shop is likely overkill for someone playing bluegrass with 13's on a D-28 with action of 5/64th" and 7/64th" at the 12th. For the A-list shredder who wants action of 2 and 3 it's the only way to get there short of a PLEK operated correctly with a skilled operator not doing mass production where the instrument can spend some time on the machine.

We were offered a PLEK for free and declined believing that our hand methods based on machinist principals are equal or superior.

We bought and tried the offset Z files and don't like them. We no longer attempt to use them and default to the older style diamond files.

Is it worth it? For you if you make 2 - 3 guitars maybe not. For us we can use a single file for several hundred fret dresses and they still work great. Diamond files cut in both directions and don't chatter, all good stuff. If I amortize my $79 diamond file over 300 fret dresses at $215 each that's 26 cents a fret dress.

Fret erasers are not something that we would use either and we do have them. The wheels have been modified in our shop to polish saddles on electric bridges deburring and permitting smooth transitions with no risk of strings breaking there.

We use the Collins Fret Buffer that my friend and business partner invented and built. Many shops now use these including some folks on this forum who built their own. Search the archives, it is detailed here a number of times. It is again though over kill for you. FRETS.net also have the Collins Fret buffer in their archives as many of those folks are pros and benefit from it.

Old school polishing involved working smart first to reduce or eliminate as many scratches as one can PRIOR to moving on to sanding and polishing. It's important that all frets are down in place and glued too. Then it's quad folded, quality sand paper like the playing card in the spokes of your bike with you were a kid to sand the sides and tops of the frets. I move through 320, 400, 600, 800, 1,000 and 1,200 finishing up with OOOO steel wool with good results. It takes about 1/2 and hour. Conversely if you use our Collins fret buffer I can do all of this with better results in three minutes. YMMV

My suggestion for you is to concentrate on one operation at a time. For example simply fretting is a can of worms in and of itself. You will need to clean out fret slots, perhaps enlarge them, have the ability to clamp and glue frets, perhaps hammer some or all etc. You will need special tools if the neck is bound as well. You will need to learn about compression and how you can ruin a neck by not understanding compression and inducing a level of back bow that no two way rod could counter not that you ever want to use the rod for this. There is the issue of compound radius boards as well.

Lots to learn. My approach when I was learning was to incrementally learn. I tried to not worry about things until I was near there.

Hope this helps. Please also keep in mind that some very bright people here have preached over the years that on early guitars it's important to simply get though it and not consider any early guitar to be the end all to be all. It's been said by these folks it's a wood working project.

When you get to the user interface, the set-up, fretting, nut making, etc. there will be more to learn.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Clinchriver (Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:04 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:42 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:

Ken you might want to limit your questions a bit at a time, there is a lot that you are asking here making it difficult to comment thoughtfully without writing War and Peace.

Our leveling beams are lapped on a calibrated surface plate. I have no idea what you have at work and wonder why this matters in respect to the questions that you originally asked. We've also worked with some leveling beams from Stew Mac and an eBay vendor who is a member here and they were all pretty flat. We lap our beams to have less than .0005" of error over the span of 18", 12", 9" and 6". We have longer beams for basses too. And yes it does take time, so does building a quality instrument.

I was just rationalizing out loud I guess, that a flat beam is needed. You can't trust a flat file or stone.

Old school polishing involved working smart first to reduce or eliminate as many scratches as one can PRIOR to moving on to sanding and polishing. It's important that all frets are down in place and glued too. Then it's quad folded, quality sand paper like the playing card in the spokes of your bike with you were a kid to sand the sides and tops of the frets. I move through 320, 400, 600, 800, 1,000 and 1,200 finishing up with OOOO steel wool with good results. It takes about 1/2 and hour. Conversely if you use our Collins fret buffer I can do all of this with better results in three minutes. YMMV

Sandpaper and steel wool? Who knew? Not me. I even have some of that laying around!

My suggestion for you is to concentrate on one operation at a time. For example simply fretting is a can of worms in and of itself. You will need to clean out fret slots, perhaps enlarge them, have the ability to clamp and glue frets, perhaps hammer some or all etc. You will need special tools if the neck is bound as well. You will need to learn about compression and how you can ruin a neck by not understanding compression and inducing a level of back bow that no two way rod could counter not that you ever want to use the rod for this. There is the issue of compound radius boards as well.

Lots to learn. My approach when I was learning was to incrementally learn. I tried to not worry about things until I was near there.

I don't EVER worry about ANYTHING. Ask my wife. It drives her nuts. Learning I do EVERY DAY. And I ALWAYS have a lot of questions.

Hope this helps. Please also keep in mind that some very bright people here have preached over the years that on early guitars it's important to simply get though it and not consider any early guitar to be the end all to be all. It's been said by these folks it's a wood working project.

I've made about a dozen violins and violas, maybe the last 9 of them are decent! Doing something is the only way to learn it.

When you get to the user interface, the set-up, fretting, nut making, etc. there will be more to learn.

The carving, bending, fitting, gluing, tuning parts I have some experience with; this is just a bigger scale. Frets, truss rods, bindings (haven't got there yet) are the new things for me. I have the tuners figured out, (they're just tuners, buy them and screw them on) and the truss rod slot is in. Bindings I'm not thinking about yet, I have some ideas about it. I have no router, so I have to figure out something. Frets and set up seems like it will be a lot of learning. I'll probably do that in July after I'm retired, and don't have to hurry to get things done before 2:15.

Thanks for your time Hesh. You wouldn't believe this, but I have another question. I think I know what it is, but I'll research it first!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:04 pm 

Ken Nagy wrote:
Hesh wrote:

I was just rationalizing out loud I guess, that a flat beam is needed. You can't trust a flat file or stone.

Sandpaper and steel wool? Who knew? Not me. I even have some of that laying around!

I don't EVER worry about ANYTHING. Ask my wife. It drives her nuts. Learning I do EVERY DAY. And I ALWAYS have a lot of questions.

I've made about a dozen violins and violas, maybe the last 9 of them are decent! Doing something is the only way to learn it.

The carving, bending, fitting, gluing, tuning parts I have some experience with; this is just a bigger scale. Frets, truss rods, bindings (haven't got there yet) are the new things for me. I have the tuners figured out, (they're just tuners, buy them and screw them on) and the truss rod slot is in. Bindings I'm not thinking about yet, I have some ideas about it. I have no router, so I have to figure out something. Frets and set up seems like it will be a lot of learning. I'll probably do that in July after I'm retired, and don't have to hurry to get things done before 2:15.

Thanks for your time Hesh. You wouldn't believe this, but I have another question. I think I know what it is, but I'll research it first!

Always happy to help if I can Ken and feel free to PM me if you want. Congrats too on the soon to be retirement.