Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:39 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I don't get it. And I really didn't notice this till I put the first coat of finish on after finish sanding. Like the wicking took place under the top layer of wood or something. I was hoping the amber shellac would hide it and to some extent it did but dmnit if this isn't disappointing. The guitar on the left has the exact same rosette installed in the same manor. This is torrified red spruce too which interestingly is very hydrophobic.

Anyone have this problem before?

Last edited by jfmckenna on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:14 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
Sorry that happened. Just a heads up I can’t see the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I updated the pic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Well, I still can't see the photo after the update and a refresh on my part. I use two coats of 1# shellac just in case I don't get everything with the first coat. Don't know but perhaps the torrefied top is different? I'll be interested to find out what's going on because I'm just starting my next guitar and it will be my first with a torrefied red spruce top.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

God I hate freakin' Google Photos.

How bout now?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
I take it you are talking abut CA used for the rosette rings, and shellac was used to seal the channels.
How many coats of what cut shellac did you use?
I normally used 3 coats 1lb shellac or 2 coats if I'm using 2lb cut.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:58 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
That is a complete bummer. Is there any other fix other than a retop?

What brand of CA?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Allen
City: San Francisco
Beautiful guitars! I'm really sorry this happened.

The 2nd time I used CA for rosettes I had a similar problem, albeit less prominent. I thought it was probably caused by not applying enough shellac. Since then I put on 3 coats of shellac, about a 2 lb cut, and haven't had staining.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I only used one coat of shellac. Obviously thats a problem but then that's all I have ever done too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Can see the photos now - that really sucks to have something like that show up on such a nice guitar. Guess I'll start using 3 coats of 1# cut.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yeah it's danm depressing is what it is. I guess I'll have to have 'that talk.' I'd rather build another guitar then retop it. It actually looks far worse on camera and the pick guard will cover the lower half of it. I did some Googling around and found an old comment by John Arnold who said it happened to him and eventually it faded away. I can only hope.

[headinwall] [headinwall] [headinwall] [headinwall] [headinwall]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

Haven't read every post, so maybe this was addresses.

Have you sanded it back to see if the effect is reduced?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
What a bummer! I'm scared to death every time use CA for rosettes or bindings. I've done it, but use three coats of shellac before diving in. This might make me revise that thinking, given that there are good alternatives to CA.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

wbergman wrote:
Haven't read every post, so maybe this was addresses.

Have you sanded it back to see if the effect is reduced?

That's the odd thing about it. It's almost like it wicked in right under the surface of the top of the wood. As I sanded it, more of it became exposed so I stopped. Since I was using an dark amber shellac I thought it would blend, it did but not quite enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
That's really a drag. Are those rings made up of short segments of abalone? Is that why you use CA for this type of rosette? I'm asking about the method because I haven't made this kind of rosette, yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I wouldn't retop it. I would do a burst. Mask off the abalone rosette and purfling carefully and add enough color to hide the stain and then go darker at the edges. When I had some CA wick in and stain the top I wound up doing a burst to hide it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Are we talking about those lines that go end to end? I'm guessing not but I'm not sure.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

banjopicks wrote:
Are we talking about those lines that go end to end? I'm guessing not but I'm not sure.

No that's just in the wood, those lines are. In my mind though I can't help but think that has something to do with it. The wood is torrified, it's cooked, and it's almost like this particular piece is susceptible to wicking. IDK how to say it.

What I am taking about is if you look at the rosette like a clock and 12 o'clock is at the center seam toward the tail block as pictured you can see staining at 2,4,8, and 10 o'clock. Pretty much just adjacent to the long natural lines which is why I got to thinking.

In fact the other guitar was the same top, it had the same line markings on it but since it's a small guitar I placed them outside the profile.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I’ll just say what I think, and hope it doesn’t come off as harsh. Please know that I don’t intend it as a criticism; it’s just what I see when I look at this guitar.

I think worrying about that little amount of staining on a top that looks like this is the same as the Elephant Man worrying about a pimple. The eye of the casual viewer is not drawn to the rosette stains; it is drawn to the huge streaks that make this top look like reclaimed decking. I think you should embrace the staining as part of the torrified wood look, which is already very prominent on this top.

So, I wouldn’t do anything drastic on this guitar to fix the staining. I would probably develop a well-deserved aversion to using CA anywhere near spruce in the future, but I already have that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
jfmckenna wrote:
banjopicks wrote:

No that's just in the wood, those lines are. In my mind though I can't help but think that has something to do with it. The wood is torrified, it's cooked, and it's almost like this particular piece is susceptible to wicking. IDK how to say it.

What I am taking about is if you look at the rosette like a clock and 12 o'clock is at the center seam toward the tail block as pictured you can see staining at 2,4,8, and 10 o'clock. Pretty much just adjacent to the long natural lines which is why I got to thinking.

In fact the other guitar was the same top, it had the same line markings on it but since it's a small guitar I placed them outside the profile.

My thought was the dark lines almost mask the staining in the areas on the rosette. In the picture anyway they look close to the same color and could read as echos of the natural staining. I get that in real life they can look different than one view in a picture. You are correct they will not sand out. With one coat of shellac, I suspect there were areas in the channels that were not sealed. So the depth of the stain is probably equal to the depth of the channel. Thin CA can wick a long way when it hits endgrain, I have had CA applied around the brass inserts on a bolt on neck wick up to the top of the heel. I think back to the celery in dye experiment many of us did in school, to what is happening.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: jfmckenna (Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:08 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

doncaparker wrote:
I’ll just say what I think, and hope it doesn’t come off as harsh. Please know that I don’t intend it as a criticism; it’s just what I see when I look at this guitar.

I think worrying about that little amount of staining on a top that looks like this is the same as the Elephant Man worrying about a pimple. The eye of the casual viewer is not drawn to the rosette stains; it is drawn to the huge streaks that make this top look like reclaimed decking. I think you should embrace the staining as part of the torrified wood look, which is already very prominent on this top.

So, I wouldn’t do anything drastic on this guitar to fix the staining. I would probably develop a well-deserved aversion to using CA anywhere near spruce in the future, but I already have that.

Do you think those lines come out as a result of the cooking process? That's kind of what I was wondering. Like it's an internal 'highway' for sap and when it got cooked it all exited there or something. IDK just thinking out loud.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have struggled with the "ring around the rosy" a few times, in spite of using a shellac sealer. Here is what I found to be an effective preventative:

1. Flood the rosette channel with thinned fish glue using an appropriate artist brush. Be generous and fill the channels. Wipe some thinned fish glue on the top surface around the perimeters of the channels. Let it penetrate well into the end grain.
2. After a minute or 2, blow out the glue with an air hose or dry it with paper towels.
3. After the hide glue is dry (I put the top in front of a fan for 30 minutes or so) you will have an effective barrier that won't be attacked or thinned by the solvent effect of thin CA.

Regarding John's problem of the CA wicking through the neck heel when gluing the threaded brass tenon inserts, I prevent this by first spraying a generous amount of accelerator on the neck heel and letting it penetrate before gluing the inserts. Any thin CA that tries to wick through to the heel gets cured before is all the way through the heel.

Mike Franks
http://www.mjfranksguitars.com

These users thanked the author Mike Franks for the post (total 3): TimAllen (Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:40 pm) • jfmckenna (Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:36 am) • Bryan Bear (Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:31 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
I have to ask, why is using CA so important in the first place, if it causes this much trouble?

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:44 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I don't see anything. They both look cool. I would have thought that CA would act more like a HHG ghost, and prevent the stain or shellac or varnish from coloring the wood. Are you saying that it makes the wood darker? A couple tiny areas around the rosette? Looks like the rest of the wood. The wood looks amazing. I used Red Spruce once on a violin, but I threw it away. The wood looked really nice, but the belly kept splitting with the grain. Over and over again. Bad luck I guess, but I haven't gone back to it.

John, so you are saying that before using CA on in a channel, or maybe anywhere else, the area has to be sealed first? Maybe especially on very dry, or torrefied wood?

Ok a couple of new posts.

Fish glue doesn't create ghosts? I don't know. I know even regular wood glue will. I don't know of any way to get away from them besides gluing first, trying to wipe up with hot water, and then crape or sand down.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Ken Nagy wrote:
I don't see anything. They both look cool. I would have thought that CA would act more like a HHG ghost, and prevent the stain or shellac or varnish from coloring the wood. Are you saying that it makes the wood darker? A couple tiny areas around the rosette? Looks like the rest of the wood. The wood looks amazing. I used Red Spruce once on a violin, but I threw it away. The wood looked really nice, but the belly kept splitting with the grain. Over and over again. Bad luck I guess, but I haven't gone back to it.

John, so you are saying that before using CA on in a channel, or maybe anywhere else, the area has to be sealed first? Maybe especially on very dry, or torrefied wood?

Ok a couple of new posts.

Fish glue doesn't create ghosts? I don't know. I know even regular wood glue will. I don't know of any way to get away from them besides gluing first, trying to wipe up with hot water, and then crape or sand down.

CA can wick into end grain and run along the grain for awhile. It is a stain and not a ghosting effect. On some top wood the stain can be a florescent green. So yes, do not use thin CA in an unsealed channel.

In this case it looks like the natural stain of the wood. I personally like tops with long dark streaks. The tops that drive me crazy are the perfectly clean and even tops that show everything.