Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Focus: Build
Lately I've been purchasing binding with the purfling all ready attached on one side. Who do people prefer the Stew Mac or the LMI? It seems like LMI is completely out of wack with the pricing on certain items. $10 per piece for Indian Ebony with LMI and $5.40 with Stew Mac.

I seem to remember a few people mention they had problems with the purfling coming loose when heated up and bent, but don't remember which supplier they had mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

dofthesea wrote:
Lately I've been purchasing binding with the purfling all ready attached on one side. Who do people prefer the Stew Mac or the LMI? It seems like LMI is completely out of wack with the pricing on certain items. $10 per piece for Indian Ebony with LMI and $5.40 with Stew Mac.

I seem to remember a few people mention they had problems with the purfling coming loose when heated up and bent, but don't remember which supplier they had mentioned.

If you figure a 50% loss when processing the raw material that's only about $750 a board ft. laughing6-hehe
I bought a 300 ft. roll of black plastic (15/16ths inch wide, 2mm thick) edgebanding for $70. It's enough to do about 60 guitars or other instruments. It's black and easy to apply, and "good" ebony looks just like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:32 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I've got a bandsaw and thickness sander, so I can make my own. I'm all for supporting our sponsors, and I do, but sometimes
I buy online from ebay when there's a huge difference in price.
With local hardwood dealers, I can get 'shorts' at a good discount. Just glue on veneers with TB III
then cut on the bandsaw and finish on the sander. Not too hard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I make my own and glue the veneers for side purflings on with gorilla glue. That glue will never delaminate under any amount of heat. There's an unholy foamy mess during the glue up, but after ripping the strips on the bandsaw (veneer side up), I've got bullet proof binding strips.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Focus: Build
Interesting thread. It would be great to see pics of how you fellows tackle this process. I've had decent success gluing up binding strips with supply house purfling (b/w/b, etc.) and would like to start making custom combinations. But I'm ignorant about veneers and am stumped whenever I try browsing the websites of veneer suppliers. Being unfamiliar with that area of woodworking, it's hard for me to decipher their listings. What am I looking at? How much does it cost? It's a bit bewildering. Any guidance would be appreciated.