Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
That looks real fine Steve, let me know if you ever want someone to take it off your hands.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
Redwoods especially, and to some extent western redcedar, are prone to what we call “shake”, due to the shock experienced during felling. Shake occurs for other reasons and the worst will be rejected in the mill, but small cracks from felling shake can extend a long way through the log. So, really hard to see and it is indeed a gamble. Fortunately, these fine cracks are invisible, once glued. Felling shake occurs in spruces and pines as well, but to a much lesser extent (due at least in part to the generally smaller size of the trees).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Colin North wrote:
That looks real fine Steve, let me know if you ever want someone to take it off your hands.
Thanks Colin!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ruby50 wrote:
What thickness are these redwood tops that are giving trouble? I am just starting one with my first redwood top. What should I shoot for?

Ed

There is a lot of variance. Much more than sitka spruce, for example. I shoot for .3" of deflection. That equated to .130" with some tops from one vender, and .085" or so with the two LS tops I've worked with. I lost one LS to over-thinning, and the other wound up around .078" all said and done.

Last edited by James Orr on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:38 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Speak of the Devil...Mr. Morelli and the boss were resawing redwood tops from 50 year-old dimensional 2x clear heart VG billets last weekend, and started two Reynolds Woodsong-pattern OM-sized instruments earlier this week after building up the molds and forms...redwood over highly figured bay laurel and redwood over curly mahogany. The tops look to me to be very similar to what we see out of David Maize's salvaged stock, which tends to be both stiff (on the order of the Lucky Strike tops we have worked with) and quite nice to handle.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Tim

Shake is similar to shiver, as in "shiver me timbers". There are 100 meanings to these old phrases, but one I heard was that a solid coniferous mast could shiver under stress when a piece would come (flying) off similar to those we see that came off a top in the posts above. Another shiver is when a mast would separate along a growth ring so that it would now be in two pieces - one that looked like a soda straw and one that was a plug that filled the center. Strength was reduced significantly but you might not know it.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Ruby50 wrote:
Tim

Shake is similar to shiver, as in "shiver me timbers". There are 100 meanings to these old phrases, but one I heard was that a solid coniferous mast could shiver under stress when a piece would come (flying) off similar to those we see that came off a top in the posts above. Another shiver is when a mast would separate along a growth ring so that it would now be in two pieces - one that looked like a soda straw and one that was a plug that filled the center. Strength was reduced significantly but you might not know it.

Ed

Thanks Ed, that's very reassuring…..

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I like redwood a lot, both for tone and looks. To me the sound comes in right between western red cedar and sitka. I love it, but it does tend to crack for no good reason. It is kind of like that uncle that can be hard to deal with at times, but what can you do? He is part of the family.

I've built three guitars using flamed redwood also. It has never been a problem, unless you count the extra work to finish sand without sanding ripples in. All three of those tops came from the same billet so it could be just an anomaly of that piece of wood.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I'd love to buy a piece of redwood that was confirmed as a stellar set, just to know what my expectations should be...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I like to buy my Redwood tops and flamed Walnut B&S's from Vince at Pacific Coast Woods, a sponsor here. It is very nice stuff. For redwood, I have bought old growth, salvaged and sinker from him. It is all very good wood. And check out his walnut, it will knock your socks off.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
meddlingfool wrote:
I'd love to buy a piece of redwood that was confirmed as a stellar set, just to know what my expectations should be...

Dave Maize AAA or master will do the trick.

But part of the fun of redwood is how varied it is. I have some sets that are ridiculously light, and others that are more spruce-like. The Maize sets I've gotten are on the lighter end of the scale, but you could ask if he has any good higher density sets if you want to try both.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:06 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Andy
SteveSmith wrote:
I was quite successful, just didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Can't argue with that.