Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
Bri

“I have considered a hole at the tail piece or removable strap button.
Finding a 20” long allen key is also proving a challenge, though having something fabbed is doable.”

I’m doing a bolt on M&T on my octave mandolins and go in through the hole for the pickup jack. It takes a bit of finesse but it’s not too bad. I use a pair of long needle nose to reach through the f-holes to put the bolts on the end of the Allen key which I made for the purpose.

My wrench is made from, in my case, a 4mm x 12’ t-handle, a 12” x 1/4”od x 3/16”id aluminum tube and a bit of JB weld. I made it 22” long so I can use it on guitars as well.

Top-tip: Use a piece of tape to hold the bolts in place when the neck is off. Saves a bit of messing around.

Cheers, M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Bri (Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:23 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:44 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
The first thing on the old bench in the new shop is this 20-3/4” scale guitar-body octave mandolin. I know, it’s not a guitar but it is largely shaped like one...

I’ve got guitar camp about a week and a half away and hope to take this...in the white if need be.

I don’t know how many of you follow Dion Guitars on Instagram. He’s been finishing his necks with ecopoxy and I really like the look! I’ve got some of the stuff on its way and he was generous enough to share his application schedule. More shall be revealed.

M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:35 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
I'm about to become a basement dweller. Moving from our home of 17 years where I had a small 200sf single car detached garage as a shop. The new house has a 31x15' "family room" in the basement that become my new shop. So a lot of planning going on for the move. It's going to be a fairly extensive remodel, walls coming down or moving, wallpaper coming off, complete kitchen remodel, etc. So I've got my work cut out for me over the next several months. But I'm excited about the basement shop. Over double the space, with a better layout. I'll probably put a divider wall in about 1/3 of the way to have a clean side and a dirty side. Carpet will come out of the dirty side. Dust collection and compressor will go in the adjacent utility room. Spraying will be done in the upstairs garage - perhaps even a small spray booth up there. So needless to say, building and any repairs have been put on hold for a while.

Attachment:
20190808_150808.jpg

Attachment:
20190808_150755.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hey Brian.
For bolt retainers I make the mortise a little deeper and use thin rubber washers from The hardware store. Works great. To insert the bolts I thread a length of rubber tubing through the head block hole and out an F hole. Put the bolt in the tubing and pull it back through. Hold it with the wrench while you put on the washer retainer.

My wrench is a length of 3/16 steel rod tapped on one end for the handle. The 4mm ball tipped Allen wrench is epoxied into a brass sleeve glued and pinned to the rod.

This wrench will fit through a standard reamed end pin hole so your jack can go anywhere. I actually like it on the side better than the end pin hole.

I have used this system on about 10 guitars and kept the first one which is about 8 years old and it is holding up well.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 2): Glenn LaSalle (Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:03 am) • Bri (Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:23 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
DanKirkland wrote:
Nothing other than repairs lately. I did make my "neck dragon" as I call it. I stole the idea from Frank Ford (thanks Frank!). ……………………. The air blasts the steam away while you're getting the neck off and prevents finish damage. Works a charm. I just use the neck removal jig to help hold the hoses in place while I work the neck off by hand.

Brilliant!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: DanKirkland (Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:40 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:33 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Oris
Last Name: Morton
City: Franklinton
State: North Carolina
Been recovering from a torn bicep. Just got back into the shop for some light work Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ouch! Glad you're on the mend.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: olmorton71 (Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Ensor
City: Springfield
State: Missouri
A little bit of this:

Attachment:
headstock.jpg

A lot of this:

Attachment:
PCC.jpg

Attachment:
handles.jpg

Attachment:
shafts.jpg

http://ensorguitars.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I put my guitar in my galvanized trash can I use as a light box. I can't use the lid! I tried just in the sun, and the box, and got very little color in the wood. I made up some wood ash water, and it turned golden yellow. That will work. While I was doing that, I made a mock up of my inlay scheme around the edge, and tried Z-poxy as a sealer to attempt to get a smoother finish than I usually go for. I put my own varnish over it, and it works great. The back will be fairly easy to get smooth, the redwood is another story. I don't want it to look like an old barn. Some texture, but not old barn.

Attachment:
20190816_085612.jpeg

I also decided to fix a 5 string viola I messed up putting the purfling grooves in. Have you even KNEW that you should stop, but you didn't, and wrecked it even more? That's what I did. So I took the belly off, sawed a bear claw billet in half, planed it, joined it, carved in, put a bass bar in it, and glued it on. It took about 20 hours. I never counted before. I thought I worked pretty fast. Then I took the back off, and carved a new one. I'm about a dozen hours in, and the inside is pretty much complete; I may have to move one side over a little at the c bout; the outside needs more work. Maybe 4 hours. So it is 36 hours to get viola plates carved and glued on.

And that's not done yet.

Attachment:
20190816_085555.jpeg

Attachment:
20190816_090521.jpeg

I read guys saying that a guitar takes, 20-60 hours, and that's just so fast.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I don't know, I started logging my build time - the last one (the '37 D28 copy farther up in this thread) took just over 100 hours and that was using a CNC neck and fretboard from Andy Birko.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Olmorton wrote:
"Been recovering from a torn bicep. Just got back into the shop for some light work "

Good luck with your recovery.
I tore loose a bicep tendon a few years ago. Rather than opting to have it restrung like one of my mother's porcelain dolls, I just let it go. At my age, arm strength is not such a big deal. Honestly I think it is about as strong as my other arm. I haven't noticed a lot of loss of function, except for rotational things like using a screw driver where continuous use creates some pain. I deal with that by using a screw gun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have been busy rebuilding and X-bracing Harmony Sovereigns from the 60's. This is an early 60's H-1260 model that I re-topped with Adirondack. These sound amazing when X-braced and set up properly.

Attachment:
IMG_5396.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:35 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Chris that headstock looks like a couple of owls...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
meddlingfool wrote:

I think that's Chris' special Rorschach model.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Ensor
City: Springfield
State: Missouri
doncaparker wrote:
meddlingfool wrote:

I think that's Chris' special Rorschach model.

Ha! Yep. Spalting always reminds me of Rorschachs!

http://ensorguitars.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:00 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Oris
Last Name: Morton
City: Franklinton
State: North Carolina
First attempt with Royal Lac. 2 coats of Seal LacImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:31 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I just finished up the epoxy pore fill on a Koa OMSized guitar. Now the troublesome task of finishing and hoping for no sand/buff throughs after all the waiting for nitro to cure.

These users thanked the author kjaffrey for the post (total 2): klooker (Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:10 am) • olmorton71 (Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:05 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Gluing on the bindings and purflings on my latest small body classical guitar. Anyone else use rope to hold the bindings tight while gluing? I prefer rope to tape because I can clean up the glue mess with a damp rag before it dries.

Attachment:
FB_IMG_1566188873216.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Some really amazing stuff going on there guys, keep it coming!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
I just finished pore filling a Mahogany L00 using Aqua Coat.
Need to hit 1 more side with shellac and the tape off the top and then spray some nitro to finish.

Attachment:
Hog fill.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Marcus
Last Name: Bailie
City: Kirkland
I've been pretty busy. I am finishing up a zebrawood SJ, I think it might end up being a decent guitar. I am also trying out my hand at making a solid body, its been.... interesting. I also procured some new equipment.

Zebrawood w/ Sitka Top

L** P*** (ish) solid body. shhhhh don't, tell Gibson.

Oscillating edge sander, I am slowly running out of room in my shop...

These users thanked the author Marcus for the post: olmorton71 (Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:43 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Starting the fretboard using SM TS blade and template.

Attachment:
FretSlotJig2.jpg

Attachment:
FretSlotJig.jpg

I no sooner got this started when I got word from my daughter that my banjo that I let my grandson use now has a 2 piece neck. [headinwall] I may have to stop this guitar build and make a new banjo neck. This is the second time this neck has broken, two totally different places. It's jinxed. I'll glue it back together but I'd rather have a new neck with my own design and inlays.

Attachment:
BrokenBanjoNeck.jpg

On closer examination of the photo, it looks like it may have broken in the same place. I still don't have it to examine in person.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:21 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Blake
Last Name: Dyson
City: Hillsborough
State: NC
Zip/Postal Code: 27278
I'm finishing up a rosewood/sitka OO in my shop right now. Had a great time working with Indian Rosewood, such a great timber.

These users thanked the author Luthier1975 for the post: olmorton71 (Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:06 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Marcus wrote:
I've been pretty busy. I am finishing up a zebrawood SJ, I think it might end up being a decent guitar. I am also trying out my hand at making a solid body, its been.... interesting. I also procured some new equipment.

Zebrawood w/ Sitka Top

That SJ is a beauty, love the Zebrawood. I've got 3 sets perfectly quartered sets I've not yet used for too long. Got to get round to it.
I won't tell Gibson if you tell me what finish you've got on it! Such a beautiful golden colour.
I sympathise with your ever diminishing space problem, Im the same.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Marcus
Last Name: Bailie
City: Kirkland
Colin North wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Zebrawood w/ Sitka Top

That SJ is a beauty, love the Zebrawood. I've got 3 sets perfectly quartered sets I've not yet used for too long. Got to get round to it.
I won't tell Gibson if you tell me what finish you've got on it! Such a beautiful golden colour.
I sympathise with your ever diminishing space problem, Im the same.

I am assuming you want to know what finish I am using on the SJ?
That picture probably doesn't have a finish on it, although I am using a Mohawk nitro. Now that I think about it, there is probably a sanding sealer on there. I think what makes this pop is the Z-poxy pore process I do. I used a brown (and a bit of black) epoxy dye to make the pores pop.

These users thanked the author Marcus for the post: Colin North (Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:46 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next