Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Final polish on Enduro Var.
I was using Atol 6 for final polishing, but I do like this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Shiny! What's your film thickness?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

meddlingfool wrote:
Shiny! What's your film thickness?

Three thou' final thickness.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Wow, that is a great finish. And I do like shinny!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
Focus: Repair
I used GW16 and it was already pretty darned shiny. I used P175 but honestly it was only very slightly shinier... I think Menzerna only puts it one grade shiner than GW16 except GW16 cuts pretty well. On a test piece I was able to achieve a shine as good as the OP's picture using GW16 as a final polish.

If I used the red stuff from Stewmac before GW16 the finish looks even better but the Stewmac red stuff doesn't really give you a real shine. It just cuts fast.

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Tai Fu wrote:
I used GW16 and it was already pretty darned shiny. I used P175 but honestly it was only very slightly shinier... I think Menzerna only puts it one grade shiner than GW16 except GW16 cuts pretty well. On a test piece I was able to achieve a shine as good as the OP's picture using GW16 as a final polish.

If I used the red stuff from Stewmac before GW16 the finish looks even better but the Stewmac red stuff doesn't really give you a real shine. It just cuts fast.

I highly doubt that, unless you are using something else afterwards.
I sand to 1200 grit, then onto the buffer using GW16 which is Cut 4 Gloss 7. This leaves a reasonable polish, but also leaves visible fine scratches which catch the light all over, more obvious if you remove the wax left from the bar with naptha.
Finer Merzena bars I have used personally were Atol 6 and now P175 which is Cut 3 Gloss 9 and I believe there are least 2 other grades are suitable for use on lacquer, and there are also the many creams for hand finishing.

Last edited by Colin North on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

But, hey, if you're happy with what your getting with GW18, that's fine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:03 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Who could ask for more shine than that!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Colin North wrote:
But, hey, if you're happy with what your getting with GW18, that's fine.

I can't say I agree with that.

This plastic glasses lens was badly scratched up during use, and I sanded the glasses with 600 grit until all the scratches were gone (it was the coating that got scratched and that shows up in a big way). Then I used the red Stewmac compound to polish out the 600 grit scratches. Then I used Menzerna GW16 for final polish. Now this lens is as clear as the day it was made (albeit without the coating).

Granted the lens is made of a hard plastic but in my experience when dealing with a HARD finish like 2k, polyester, etc. GW16 polishes to a perfect shine. I'm sure P175 makes it shinier but I can't tell (last time I used P175 all it did was smear white paste everywhere).

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Like I said, suit yourself, Menzerna know nothing about polishing musical instruments -
https://www.menzerna.com/files/Dokumente/Produkte/Flyer/menzerna_Flyer_Paint_Plastics_240x140_RZ_ENG_preview.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Tai Fu wrote:
…….. ……. but I can't tell (last time I used P175 all it did was smear white paste everywhere).

And that's very strange - it's yellow, not white at all.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:38 am 
Koa
Koa

I think you can get the P175 in white or yellow. I prefer the yellow, the white seemed to be more dry, not as greasy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I had the white stuff. It was greasy too.

Typhoon Guitars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

joe white wrote:
I think you can get the P175 in white or yellow. I prefer the yellow, the white seemed to be more dry, not as greasy.

Joe, according to their website the three solid "Super Finish" compounds are P175, M5 and G52.
P175 is dry and yellow, M5 is dry and white, G52 is medium grease and white. - ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I am not sure what I had then. I bought it from LMI a long time ago and they labeled it “fine”

Typhoon Guitars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:02 am 
Koa
Koa

Colin North wrote:
joe white wrote:

Joe, according to their website the three solid "Super Finish" compounds are P175, M5 and G52.
P175 is dry and yellow, M5 is dry and white, G52 is medium grease and white. - ?

Colin, I'll have to look into this. It's been about a year since I buffed anything so I'll see what the colors were. I remember Jeff Silver telling me people complaining about the color making a huge mess to Menzerna USA so they offered it in another color to appease them. It might have been yellow and pink.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

joe white wrote:
Colin North wrote:
joe white wrote:

Colin, I'll have to look into this. It's been about a year since I buffed anything so I'll see what the colors were. I remember Jeff Silver telling me people complaining about the color making a huge mess to Menzerna USA so they offered it in another color to appease them. It might have been yellow and pink.

I checked the LMI site - fine is marked P175 and is - white [headinwall]
And the yellow does make a mess, I'm glad I have my buff set up outdoors. bliss
Good to know the company listen to their customers though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:33 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
I’ve been buffing with Menzerna for 12 years. I don’t build more than 4 guitars per year, so even with repair work, the stuff lasts a long time. The problem I found with my first batch of compound is that it seemed to get dry and hard, and just didn’t work so well as it aged. So 3 or 4 years ago I replaced all my compounds and bought fresh, clean buffs. Things are now much better. From that experience I went to storing my compound in a ziplock freezer bag, hoping to extend its life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:58 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I just polished this with GW16. P175 will probably improve this quite a bit but I feel instead of spending $$$ on another wheel and compound, I think I can finish this off with liquid compound and a cloth. But it looks really good to me just polishing with GW16 with a 14" wheel at 900rpm.

The finish is 2K urethane with epoxy fill underneath. Say what you will about 2k but I did this in one week, including epoxy fill. Fastest finish schedule I ever did.

Typhoon Guitars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Let us know how it goes.
Just curious too, are you looking at your finishes using the glasses which you polished with G16?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

No, I wear contacts. The glasses is only for backup.

Typhoon Guitars