It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Grain Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Alcohol absorbs moisture from the air as soon as the bottle is opened. The 'aziotropic' solution, which has the lowest boiling point, is 95% alcohol and 5% water, and that's what it will go to as soon as you expose it to air. That's why 190 proof, 95% alcohol, is the standard; its the best you can get through regular distillation.

In the old days they used to add benzene, which binds more strongly to the water and allows for the production of a more pure alcohol. It always had a little benzene in it, though, and they stopped doing it that way when they found that benzene id carcinogenic. Now I'm told they remove the last of the water by putting in burned ('unslaked') lime. This reacts with the water to form an insoluble product that settles, or can be filtered, out.

You don't need to get all of the water out, and can't anyway. As I say, I've found that the 70% ethyl that I get at the drug store, which has (probably) 5% water, and some acetone, works fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
Focus: Build
JF, there was no internet during my college days (and not for many years after). :lol:
Yes it is expensive, but the Everclear at the local Bevmo here in CA is 120 proof and costs $49 for 1.75 liter. There is a way to strip some of the water out with salt (the alchohol floats on top of the saline solution) but it makes my drinks taste funny.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Alan Carruth wrote:
Alcohol absorbs moisture from the air as soon as the bottle is opened. The 'aziotropic' solution, which has the lowest boiling point, is 95% alcohol and 5% water, and that's what it will go to as soon as you expose it to air. That's why 190 proof, 95% alcohol, is the standard; its the best you can get through regular distillation.

In the old days they used to add benzene, which binds more strongly to the water and allows for the production of a more pure alcohol. It always had a little benzene in it, though, and they stopped doing it that way when they found that benzene id carcinogenic. Now I'm told they remove the last of the water by putting in burned ('unslaked') lime. This reacts with the water to form an insoluble product that settles, or can be filtered, out.

You don't need to get all of the water out, and can't anyway. As I say, I've found that the 70% ethyl that I get at the drug store, which has (probably) 5% water, and some acetone, works fine.

70% is 140 proof if I'm not mistaken right? People claim that the 150 Proof Everclear is not good enough for shellac finish. Am I missing something? I mean I know obviously it works for you so maybe my understanding of proof is wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Look at the rest of the sentence: part of the mixture is acetone, which doesn't interfere with dissolving alcohol. I've been using a mix of 2 parts acetone to 1 part 2# cut shellac for FP for some time. It flashes off so fast that you can actually build it quicker than straight 2# cut. Certainly if the mix was just water and alcohol it would be problematic, but this is not.

As a bonus I found a case where it works even better than plain alcohol. When I first tried the drugstore stuff I used some seedlac that somebody had given me. As you may know, seedlac is unrefined, and can contain all sorts of stuff. Usually the 'tea bag' will filter out the dirt and wax, and give a reasonably clear solution, but this stuff always looked 'dirty', and no amount of filtering would clear it. I figured, if it didn't work it was no loss. What happened was that the solution stratified into two layers; a clear top layer of red shellac solution, and an opaque red layer under it. I suspect that the the red layer is a solution of red lac dye in water. I have not tried adding more water to see if any more color would come out. It's possible to decant the shellac layer and that works fine, although, obviously, it's best on a dark wood. I've always likes seedlac as a finish; it does tend to be darker than most of the refined shellacs, but it's also more durable. Usually they wash out the red dye (which is much more valuable than the resin), but apparently in this case they didn't

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: jfmckenna (Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:52 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"Look at the rest of the sentence: part of the mixture is acetone, which doesn't interfere with dissolving alcohol. I've been using a mix of 2 parts acetone to 1 part 2# cut shellac for FP for some time. It flashes off so fast that you can actually build it quicker than straight 2# cut. Certainly if the mix was just water and alcohol it would be problematic, but this is not."

I thought the reason people were buying high dollar ethanol was because they wanted to avoid large doses of other chemicals in the F.P.. I know the body produces acetone naturally but not in very large amounts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
I think different folks have different goals.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:51 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
doncaparker wrote:
I think different folks have different goals.

Truer words...

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I received the gallon of 190 proof denatured ethyl alcohol from Best Cleaning Supply. When I revisited their website they have discontinued it. It was priced at $33 a gallon with free delivery, so wasn't too bad a deal compared to other sources of relatively pure ethanol. Even relatively innocuous solvents are getting hard to get.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.