PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:34 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: doug
Last Name: powdrell
City: hilo
State: big island
Focus: Build
Need portable dust collection for JET 10-20 drum sander....recommendations appreciated. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I did it indoors with a festool Shop-Vac which has higher than average CFM and it seemed to work okay. I also had a HEPA filter running in the room because I'm sure it was still spitting stuff out. But yeah, it's enough to get by.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:06 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Like Pat I used a Festool vac with around 130 CFM and it worked fine with the 10 - 20. When I stepped-up to a 1,100 CFM dust collector the 10 - 20 ran noticeably cooler especially with rosewoods and the paper gummed up less.

But yeah you can get by with a good shop vac provided that it's rating is high enough AND true. My business partner had a Science teacher back in the day who tested shop vacs for stated CFM and found them to be woefully optimistic in their self evaluation of CFM performance. Shop vac manufacturers would donate to his school system in exchange for his silence on his findings. Good man.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

I use a big shop vac and a dust deputy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I have a Performax 16/32 drum sander on which I run dust collection through a shop vac with a HEPA filter supplemented with a Jet air filtration system mounted on the ceiling. I did some testing using a Dylos particle detector to see how effective the shop vac is by itself was compared with the shop vac plus the air handler at controlling fine dust generated by the sander. The results are summarized in this thread from early this year: https://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=51532&p=678286#p678286

You can read it and decide for yourself, but the bottom line for my setup is that I would not depend on the shop vac alone for dust collection, especially if I was sanding any woods that are allergenic or sensitizers. My Ridgid 6 hp shop vac is not effective enough on its own to do the job. It just doesn't have enough air flow (165 cfm) to capture all the fine dust created at the source by the drum sander.

For you, it might depend on how often/how much sanding you do (exposure), what woods you work with, what the cfm is for the Oneida shop vac you're considering, and how dusty you're willing to let your shop get.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I think even the most modest Harbor Freight dust collector would do a better job, assuming it was hooked up directly to the sander via a short bit of 4” flex hose. Fine dust is the stuff that hurts your lungs, and fine dust is what you get from a drum sander. I would err on the side of more safety, not less.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
The recommendation for an auxiliary dust filtration system such as those made by Jet is a good one. I have an Oneida cyclone system hooked to my 10-20 and although it works very well it still spits out some dust. So I also run a Jet air filtration system and that helps me maintain an overall good air quality in the shop.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
I use a 2 hp collector with fines collection and air filtration in the shop

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:40 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: doug
Last Name: powdrell
City: hilo
State: big island
Thanks for the help guys!!!

Background; I had a bad experience sanding spalted mango....serious respiratory stuff......thought I was immune to dust problems......no more!

Bought the Rikon air filtration, now the Oneida / shop vac.....not taking chances anymore....thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
FWIW...it's unlikely that the filters in the Rikon will capture the dust that is actually harmful and is more likely to just keep it in circulation.

If you want to turn it into an effective machine, you need to buy better filters, available at Wynn Environmental...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: powdrell (Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:26 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
State: Washington
I use the 1hp Grizzly Canister Dust Extractor with mine - it is rated at 640 CFM. It runs cool and pretty clean.

While a shop vac may prevent dust from escaping into your shop, it might not have the cooling power to keep up with full-width passes on rosewood.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

powdrell wrote:
Thanks for the help guys!!!

Background; I had a bad experience sanding spalted mango....serious respiratory stuff......thought I was immune to dust problems......no more!

Bought the Rikon air filtration, now the Oneida / shop vac.....not taking chances anymore....thanks again.
Are you talking about an Oneida Shop-Vac or dust collector? They do have a Shop-Vac called a Dust cobra which is rated at about 250 CFM. It's a pretty monster shop vac, but even the smallest HF dust collector will do about 600 CFM which is what is recommended.

I agree, you also need some sort of HEPA filter in an interior work space. I use a 400 CFM Austin which seems like it can clear out all the air in my shop pretty quick on high whenever I do any sanding.

Pat