Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:16 am 
Koa
Koa

I've done this with varying degrees of success before, but I wanted to see what you guys find most effective (besides getting it perfect the first time). I need to swing the headstock to the right in order to get my centerline perfect from the nut to the bottom of the body.

The fingerboard extension is glued on. There is no heel cap attached yet (if it matters).

The tendon has been adjusted a little so that there is room to make the adjustment if I pull it over (of course it doesn't stay).

I know I need to adjust the right shoulder of the heel to let it fall over that way.

Ive seen some pull it over where it needs to be, then measure the gap on the other side, mark that on the side that needs to be taken down and then cut or sand to that line.

1- what is your preferred method for this type of adjustment? Chisel? Sand? Floss?
2- how do you keep the place where the heel cap goes flat after one side has been cut down? (hope that's not a confusing question).

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Flossing the neck is the way to center the neck but you will have to take the fingerboard extension loose from the top.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 2): Hesh (Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:48 am) • SnowManSnow (Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
Same here, flossing. I have that plexi center finder jig which makes it easy to monitor progress. For the cap, I floss it too afterward or put it on first and floss the whole thing at once.

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): dpetrzelka (Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:53 pm) • SnowManSnow (Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
As far as the bottom of the guitar , if your within an 1/8 of an inch your ok the rosette is the critical area as that will pop out at you .
So if your fretboard is on that is the goal line it up with the rosette.

here are a few things to thing about when your settin up the guitar in the mold
A is the mold mortise centered to the block? In most cases it is off a touch so take the heel of the neck to mark the outside center line,
B put in some type of fretboard fixturing , IE small nail or anything to give you a secure way to locate the fretboard on the neck
C when setting the neck watch what is moving where and just observe. Dovetails I will set one tenon as location the other as the locking face.
We will be shooting more video in a few weeks and we hope to have time to address this point
There are 2 ways to move the neck one by manipulating the tenon the other by working the cheeks One is a side to side movement the other a swing so understand that and use that in your favor as not every neck is the same,
Lastly if the heel at the back looks off you can move the spine on the heel and reshape that to make it appear perfect as you will never see that with all the geometry of the heel

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: SnowManSnow (Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:01 am 
Koa
Koa

bluescreek wrote:
As far as the bottom of the guitar , if your within an 1/8 of an inch your ok the rosette is the critical area as that will pop out at you .
So if your fretboard is on that is the goal line it up with the rosette.

here are a few things to thing about when your settin up the guitar in the mold
A is the mold mortise centered to the block? In most cases it is off a touch so take the heel of the neck to mark the outside center line,
B put in some type of fretboard fixturing , IE small nail or anything to give you a secure way to locate the fretboard on the neck
C when setting the neck watch what is moving where and just observe. Dovetails I will set one tenon as location the other as the locking face.
We will be shooting more video in a few weeks and we hope to have time to address this point
There are 2 ways to move the neck one by manipulating the tenon the other by working the cheeks One is a side to side movement the other a swing so understand that and use that in your favor as not every neck is the same,
Lastly if the heel at the back looks off you can move the spine on the heel and reshape that to make it appear perfect as you will never see that with all the geometry of the heel

John... it’s probably a tad more than 1/8 at the bottom off center. And yes it is noticeable on the rosette.

For some reason I just can’t get that side to drop quite enough.

Now that I think about it... it could be the back of the heel that is keeping it from falling where it needs to go.

I’ve flossed some / sanded a bit but I haven’t then leveled the back of the heel ... here’s an exaggerated picture to show what I mean
It obviously needs to be leveled corner to corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Good sharp chisel on the heelcap, or very careful localized flossing...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: SnowManSnow (Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
And watch your tenon isn't bottoming out in the mortice

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: SnowManSnow (Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Like Colin said - if the tenon is hitting the bottom of the mortice then you just don’t have the freedom of movement to get the cheeks flossed right. I learned this lesson the hard way flossing again and again at the cheeks and being puzzled why the side-to-side angle didn’t shift.

These users thanked the author Mark Mc for the post: SnowManSnow (Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:00 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Mark Mc wrote:
Like Colin said - if the tenon is hitting the bottom of the mortice then you just don’t have the freedom of movement to get the cheeks flossed right. I learned this lesson the hard way flossing again and again at the cheeks and being puzzled why the side-to-side angle didn’t shift.

Yup, same experience. Twice (slow learner!)
Can start out with what seems plenty of clearance, but it can also disappear quickly.
I also have learned to taper my tenon a little while leaving it a good fit to locate the neck where it enters the mortice - if it fits quite tight all the way to it's end, it can/will stop the neck swinging to allow the heel cheeks to sit properly against the upper bout.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: SnowManSnow (Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:00 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:23 am 
Koa
Koa

I did get it to swing over to where it needed to be. And yes part of the issue was the tenon. One day I’ll cut one perfectly that just fits... but it was not this day.
From the flossing my heel cap area doesn’t EXACTLY sit flush, however I’ve not put a cap on yet... so that should cover easily.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk