PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:44 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Toonces
Last Name: the Cat
City: New Smyrna Beach
State: FL
Focus: Build
I've listed some uncommonly nice back|side sets in the classifieds in an effort to free up some capital. Most of us use the classifieds to sell stuff we don't want or plan on using. Up till now, I've only sold a few things that I would actually want to use as I tend to only build with ultra high-end woods. At this point, everything in my inventory is practically master grade/exhibition quality wood. The sets I've listed are not cheap but absolutely fair considering the quality - so if you're looking for wood for a special project, then take a look.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

Unfortunately I can not look at the classified section. Would you mind posting a teaser of some ultra high end stuff.....?
Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:40 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hi Herr,
I'm interested in selling one or two sets from species that I tend to not use as often - in this case I'm offering a Honduran RW, Brazilian RW, Madagascar RW, Black & White Ebony, or an Oregon Myrtelwood set -- here's a link to my website's inventory page:

http://www.fayguitars.com/Guitars/Prices/inventory.html

If interested, sign up for the classifieds and you can view details that way -- I don't want to take advantage of the forum by not going thru proper channels. I wish Lance would open up the classifieds and just ask us to pay a small fee on an honor system. Sell $100 worth of stuff then give $5. We'd all do that and the classifieds wouldn't be dead like it is now and he'd make more money to boot. Win/Win !!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:27 am 
Koa
Koa

Sell $1000 worth of stuff and give $50?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:35 am 
Koa
Koa

Thank you, what an outstanding collection!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:40 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sell $1000 worth of stuff and give $50?

That -does - seem plenty generous. Or are you saying that is too little? What does a classified add usually cost to sell a $1000 item? Would the sponsors be willing to pay $50 for advertising for every $1000 of gross sales? ( I honestly don't know - I've never run a business)
In some cases the sellers are selling stuff below the cost they bought it for. How big of a hit should they take on it? If a person does a lot of selling, the current subscription model is a much better deal - except for the fact that the market is limited to other subscribers. Not being a person who buys or sells I don't subscribe to it. If the classifieds were available for free I might occasionally peruse them and get caught up in the moment and buy something (perhaps it is better the way it is - eBay is enough of a distraction).
As someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight, I really don't care what the resolution of the matter is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hi Clay,
Yes, I think that's too much. Here's a better idea so that Lance get's the $10 he currently does and maybe a bit more.

** Make the Classifieds visible only for forum members who log in -- and also have a 50 post retirement or something like that. We wouldn't want the forum getting flooded with folks just so they could sell stuff.

** Fee Structure for Sellers

$5 for the 1st $100 in sales
$5 for the 2nd $100 in sales
Now Lance is even in terms of how much he normally gets.
$25 for any additional $1,000 in sales

This would be cheaper than eBay and should be because the forum offers nowhere near that service. The classifieds should be healthy because it helps out the OLF community. The current problem with the classifieds is that you have to PAY to buy - that's what is killing it. Lastly, the volume of sales between regular members who might want to unload a bit of their stash and sponsors is quite different. Very few of us will ever exceed one or two thousand in sales per year - except on special occasions or when selling high-value sets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'm just not sure that's why the classifieds have been dead lately. It seems this whole forum has quieted down considerably. The classifieds have been fantastic in the past, particularly for buyers it seems, which could be another reason why it's slowed down.