Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Haney
City: Sugar Land (Houston)
State: Texas
Zip/Postal Code: 77479
Focus: Build
Dave m2 wrote:
Ed thanks for that. I have thought a few times of using that sort of string termination. Will look at your links.

Dave,

It looks like Mike Doolin has taken his drawings, pictures, and instructions down off his site. I still have them. Let me know if you want a copy of my files.

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Attachment:
95B253B6-60F4-4E52-A21E-FDAA84B21D10.jpeg

Michaeldc wrote:
Today I gave cutting a mandolin bridge on my cnc a try. I’m able to cut the radius in the saddle along with basic compensation. I’m also able to mark the string locations, saving a bunch of time on initial setup. A couple more tweaks to the drawing and a couple to the code and that’ll be that about that.

Best, M

Yesterday, I got to see several of these mandolin bridges in rosewood and ebony that Michael made using his CNC set up. They are super nice and the process by which they are made is slick. It's cool that the saddles have the desired radius and the string slots accurately positioned and cut right off the CNC. It doesn't stand out in the photo, but the saddles have some nice surface shaping details that catch the light from different angles and I think those shapes would be very hard to accomplish, especially to this level of quality and consistency, using hand tool methods. Very nice work.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:27 pm) • Michaeldc (Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:38 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:40 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
We're in full stop on taking in any more big jobs for a while, again. This happened half of last year and we didn't even make it through January this year without getting booked up on bigger jobs.

Last week was busy as indicated and some of the highlights were:

Put a Lyric in a Lowden for a Lady named Lindon and no the alteration did not escape me (or her after I joked with her about it). The nice thing now about being an old man is you can get away with a lot more with people in so much as they think you're a harmless old fart. :)

Several Les Pauls in for pup swaps and set-ups. A very nice Collings acoustic that got an Anthem. Lots of Teles and Strats too for set-ups, pup swaps, etc. Two Martins for pups and set-ups and one Martin with a full length back split, very unusual and abuse caused we're sure, they let it dry out in a dorm.

Dave got done a couple "whole nice yards" jobs. The whole nine yards to us refers to neck resets, maybe a bridge reglue or replacement, likely fret dressing, new nut, saddle and usually undoing all the really poor prior work that someone else did... One of the neck resets had had a prior California neck reset where the....... person...... split the neck bock and left it that way....

We also had our share of folks complaining about intonation problems when as we have been discussing here most of their issues were the nut slots were too high making a simple set-up all they needed. I frequently have to speak with guys my age about why we geezers and jumbo frets may, not always but may have issues with intonation too especially if running wimpy 9's.

Anyway we are busy and that's when I love my work when I can just go through one after another and by noon have earned us all $500 or so. So far this month every day has been busy for me and the weather here has been pretty good too so no complaints.

PS: Been playing a lot and we are getting the band back together. :). Some of my childhood friends who are still alive are getting together to jam and play some of the old stuff we used to play.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Hesh wrote:
……………..

PS: Been playing a lot and we are getting the band back together. :). Some of my childhood friends who are still alive are getting together to jam and play some of the old stuff we used to play.

[:Y:] VIDEO! [clap]

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:12 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Working on my third Flamenco guitar. I have also started flamenco playing lessons.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Michaeldc (Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:55 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
Colin North wrote:
Hesh wrote:
……………..

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... KxKcJSnjIG

These users thanked the author Bri for the post: Hesh (Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:12 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I was thinking the same exact thing! Lol

Pat

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Hesh (Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Bri wrote:
Colin North wrote:
Hesh wrote:
……………..

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... KxKcJSnjIG

The only commonality that we have is people would throw beer bottles at us too :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:32 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:37 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup, mission from God, was the first thing that popped into my head too :D