PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Focus: Build
I been using a plugin desiccant dryer from lowes, 3/8". No longer available. Maybe I need a more permanent install. I don't have oil in my system. So that kind of filter not needed. But I would not mind a multistage dryer. Anybody out there installed anything like this that they are happy with?

Mike

Post subject: Re: Air Line Drying
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Decades ago when I had a Binks booth in a dedicated location, I purchased mine from my local paint & finish wholesaler.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Focus: Build
I do have one of those non-desiccant in-line dryers at the compressor. Just wondered if I should get something more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Do you drain the compressor at the end of each day? Are you have water vapor problems at the gun?
Some shops have several water traps if they have long lines.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:46 pm 
Koa
Koa

air comes out of the compressor hot, so as it cools moisture can occur...so your dryer at the compressor, while useful and I also have one there, needs to be complimented by a dryer about 25'-30' downstream from that...from that point run your hose to your system...I add a dryer in at the gun also for good measure...I feel you really can't be too paranoid about water/oil getting into your finish

what I specifically have is a water trap at the compressor, a water trap and oil trap 30' away, then a filter/dryer at the gun if I'm using a cup...if I'm using a pressure pot I have it placed in the air line there

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:53 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I have been trying things for years to combat moisture in my air system. I installed a large desiccant dryer but it was not completely successful. I finally traced my problem down to not having a long air line with water traps to allow the air to cool and the water to drop out. I have my compressor next to my spray booth and use a very short line. Did some research and found some options on Youtube. One option I rejected was installing several loops of copper pipe on a wall with the moisture traps. I finally found a couple of people that installed radiators on their compressors consisting of automotive transmission coolers. This is working really well for me. The air and air lines are dramatically cooler, I have the radiator installed uphill which allows the condensed water to run back down to the compressor's tank. On my main air compressor, I have the radiator hooked to the line between the compressor and the tank so the air entering the tank is already cool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
Focus: Repair
Its been some time since I posted here but having seen this post I figured I would give my 2c

This is a topic I know quite a bit about and have set up a number of systems like this. I worked for over 20 years as a painter in a body shop mainly specializing in restoration of vintage cars as well as doing custom painting. Almost every shop I have worked in had insufficient air quality due to incorrect setup or equipment. For me it was top of my list to have a clean work area and clean air supply free from oil, water or dust.

I found a product called Motor Guard many years ago and they still make them today.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-M-30-Submicronic-Compressed/dp/B000GI0H2M

This is a fantastic product for removing all contaminates from your air supply. The best part about it is it uses regular toilet paper rolls as a filter. Of course you can purchase their filters but TP works just a well and is cheap. It actually works better with cheap TP that is single ply.

Along with that is the correct setup. Below is a diagram of how I set up the system. From the compressor you have a "spitter". That is a oil water filter that "spits out" and water/oil as it is being collected so it never needs to be drained. They are pretty cheap and easy to connect and use.

Next I set up a vertical run that goes 6' to 8' up and back down where there is another spitter. The air line that goes to the regulator splits off in the middle of the upright run.

Next it goes to the regulator and then to the Motor Guard and out to the spray gun.

I have worked in shops where they had very expensive separators and were supposedly top of the line but I still found that the air was not perfectly clean (which you must have for custom painting).

For what it is worth, this is what I have found to work better than most systems and it can be done rather inexpensively.

The other thing I also use is a disposable in line filter that connects right at the gun. I always use these on my airbrush line and have never had issues with water dirt or oil in my paint jobs.

https://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-and-body-repair-tools/paint-accessories/titan-products-disposable-filters-2-piece/977871_0_0

That is my setup and it has served me well for many years.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author RusRob for the post: Ernie Kleinman (Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:05 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
That is good information, Bob. Who would have thought of using toilet paper?