Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Remember my post about "Crayola Virus"? My car club met at a Pizza Hut today, and the crayons for the kiddies were put away with a "Sorry, virus troubles" sign next to the little buckets. Sad for the kids - bring your colored markers, I guess.

Speaking of such, I was working an auto swap meet this weekend. Set up on Thursday, show on Friday and Saturday. 500 exhibitors and vendors from as many as 10 states. About 1:30 Friday the country health department showed up and shut us down. YE GODS, the uproar. About 3 my club member and I struck the booth and loaded up. I was home by 4, when I had planned on 7. Sucks to be me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:23 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John "jd"
City: Santa Barbara
State: Ca
Focus: Build
Stopped by trader Joe's. Completely sold out of rice, pasta and most frozen foods. Fortunately there was plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, which is what we eat. also plenty of wine. Heard from a friend who said Costco had 150 people in line over an hour before opening.

Sitting in the shop picking some blues with the dogs. (Mississippi John Hurt)

These users thanked the author windsurfer for the post: Michaeldc (Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:51 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Some of the supermarkets in Cecil county, Md. had a run on certain items - Milk, meat, and eggs, paper products, toilet paper. My daughter saw someone load up 20 cartons of eggs at the local walmart. Probably a "Prepper" who will spend the next week drying them. As Woodie said the small markets still had supplies at their usual slightly higher than supermarket prices.
I am naturally a Hermit, so I won't need to change my routine . My wife works for the Public Library, but they are closing along with the schools, so as long as I don't succumb to mariticide or blow a gasket I should probably be O.K. (In the past month and a half I've lowered my B.P. from 200+ over/ 100teens to the low 160's over/ the mid 90's by skipping the meat, milk, and eggs (and salt) everyone is now hoarding - I guess grass fed really is healthier bliss )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Don't own a broad brush...just an observant eye.

Already well prepared courtesy of parents that grew up during and after the Depression, so I won't be competing against those trying to make sure they have a few weeks worth of stuff just in case there is a (voluntary or otherwise) quarantine. Other than ammo. No one ever has enough ammo. 14 cases of TP is definitely hoarding - 10K rounds for the rifle and 2K for the pistol is just common sense.

Was going to head to PATINA Saturday until I got a text that it was cancelled. I did get a commitment to have a range day when the boys head out this way with their new toys, but we'll see how that goes.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

My car club had a car show at a senior community next month.... No visitors until further notice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Attachment:
When I was your age.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:27 am 
Koa
Koa

Guess I'm confused...this is just the pull from January...

“Japan and Thailand Confirm New Cases of Chinese Coronavirus,” The New York Times, 1/15/20
“The CDC and Homeland Security begin screening for Chinese Coronavirus at three major US airports as outbreak spreads in Asia,” CNBC, 1/17/20

“Vaccine for new Chinese coronavirus in the works,” CNN, 1/20/20
“First U.S. case of potentially deadly Chinese coronavirus confirmed in Washington state,” Washington Post, 1/21/20

“Chinese coronavirus outbreak has reached U.S. shores, CDC says,” Los Angeles Times, 1/21/20

“The First Case Of The Chinese Coronavirus Has Hit The US, CDC Reports,” Buzzfeed,1/21/20

“First case of Chinese coronavirus confirmed in Washington state,” NBC’s Today Show, 1/24/20

“Chinese coronavirus infections, death toll soar as fifth case is confirmed in U.S.,” Washington Post, 1/26/20

“Japan confirms case of new Chinese virus, spread is ‘concerning,’” Reuters, 1/15/20

“How the Chinese virus outbreak impacts Lunar New Year travel,” National Geographic, 1/24/20

“China coronavirus ‘spreads before symptoms show,’” BBC, 1/26/20

“Over a thousand ‘likely’ infected by Wuhan virus in China: Study,” Al Jazeera,1/18/20

“Stop the Wuhan virus,” Nature Magazine editorial, 1/21/20)

“China confirms Wuhan virus can be spread by humans,” CNN, 1/22/20

“First U.S. Case Reported of Deadly Wuhan Virus,” Wall Street Journal, 1/22/20

“Here are the symptoms of the deadly Wuhan coronavirus and when you should be worried,” Business Insider, 1/22/20

“Something Far Deadlier Than The Wuhan Virus Lurks Near You,” Kaiser Health News, 1/24/20

“With Wuhan virus genetic code in hand, scientists begin work on a vaccine,” Reuters, 1/24/20

“The Wuhan Virus: How to Stay Safe,” Foreign Policy, 1/25/20

“Something Far Deadlier Than The Wuhan Virus Lurks Near You,” USA Today, 1/29/20

“10-Year-Old Boy Raises Fears Wuhan Virus Could Spread Undetected,” Bloomberg, 1/29/20

“Your Questions About Wuhan Coronavirus, Answered, National Public Radio, 1/30/20

“Will the Wuhan virus become a pandemic?” The Economist, 1/30/20

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Chris Pile (Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:53 am)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:51 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Not sure what you are confused about. It is a virus doing what viruses do; going viral.

These users thanked the author windsurfer for the post: Chris Pile (Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:24 am)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The latest date in those "pulls" is Jan 30. The virus did not have it's official name SARS-CoV-19 until February 11, 2020. Maybe that helps.

Edit: SARS-CoV-19 was the temporary working name used by the WHO until they assigned the final name on Feb 11. So the correct name is SARS-CoV-2.

Last edited by J De Rocher on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:28 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
No politics in here! :D

On another note - it’s ok to say you’re sorry or misspoke instead of having to double down on every dang thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:41 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I have a couple of close friends/family that sit around all day watching fox/infowars/etc. They are so scared they can hardly go out of the house. They are stocking up on supplies and bullets waiting for the zombie apocalypse. I am taking precautions and only going out for necessities and exercise, but I have no irrational fears about this. I wish I could help them but don't really know what to say. I don't think "man up" would work.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Robbie_McD (Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:11 am)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The mainstream media is spinning up more fear than anyone - using words like chaos, disaster, panic, etc. All this crap going 24/7 is designed from the get-go to scare the bejesus out of the whole country, and thank God some of us are keeping a cool head. If it was as bad as they want it to sound, we'd all be dead now. Instead the numbers of C-19 survivors is growing but you won't hear anything about that, will ya? When this all blows over by August, it will just be a bad memory - but the hoarders will have toilet paper for decades to come.

ALL of this idiocy and BS is brought to you by the 20 percent of the people in the world who think it is just fine to lie their faces off to the other 80 percent. You know I'm right.

Last edited by Chris Pile on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
One thing I just don’t get- stores selling out of bottled water? Eh, toilet paper, food I get. Water I don’t.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
We have two cases of Evian because when we prep we prep high society!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
Cheers!

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:25 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Ca just closed all state parks. At least the beaches are still open (And we have a bit of swell).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:14 am 
Koa
Koa

As a healthcare professional still in the office and exam room every working day, I have to wonder about the wisdom of closing outdoor recreation venues, but I suspect those that have to maintain heavily used venues are at increased risk associated with trash removal, rest room servicing, etc. On the plus side, my evening de-stress bike rides have been wonderfully free of inattentive drivers, and the commute to class has gotten much shorter now that universities have moved to what is almost universal online attendance for academic (versus practice) instruction.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Here is a question some might want to ponder:

Is being stubborn about wanting to call it the Chinese virus sort of like what foot massages mean in the movie Pulp Fiction?

Foot massages mean something; they don’t mean nothing. Nobody deserves to get thrown out a window for giving one, but don’t act like they don’t mean anything, because we all know they mean something.

Despite his part in making a priceless guitar snuff film, Quentin Tarantino has his moments.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: Itzkin
State: NY/Granada
I arrived in Spain on March 1st to work in Stephen Hill's shop for a few months and build some classical guitars with Granada on the label. When I arrived there were some cases in Madrid but nothing in Malaga or Granada.

Within a week cases in Madrid started to skyrocket and spread to Malaga. About 2 weeks ago the first cases arrived in Granada province and plans for the annual fiesta that would have occurred yesterday were immediately scrapped. This past Saturday all bars and restaurants were closed on order from the government and on Monday at 8:00 the whole country went into quarantine. I've been able to get to the shop for a few hours a days as the supermarket is right down the road (only allowed to leave one's home to go to the supermarket or pharmacy) so I buy some food, go to the shop, close the blinds and leave shortly before the supermarket closes so I have an excuse as to why I'm on the streets should the police ask.

Stephen has luckily been given permission to continue working in his main shop as he lives only a few meters away but is no longer able to have anyone but himself inside. I've spent most of my time holed up in my apartment looking out on the Mediterranean (woe is me) and eagerly awaiting the curve of infection to flatten so I can resume working normal hours in the shop

In the meantime I've stocked up on absurd amounts of beer and gin so my time in quarantine hasn't been all that bad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:22 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Smith
City: Graton
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95444
Everyone needs to suck it up for your neighbors father, your own parents if they are alive, and the many younger people who will have their lungs messed up. 35 percent of hospitalizations are 20 to 45 year olds. I read too many armchair epidemiologists who have no idea what they are talking about and somehow believe every country in this worlds public health officials are dumb and they are smart.

These users thanked the author Goat Rock Ukulele for the post: Barry Daniels (Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 am)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
somehow believe every country in this worlds public health officials are corrupt

Fixed it for ya.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
It’s ironic that the same people who have breathlessly been repeating unfounded conspiracy theories designed to sow fear and division are now the ones convinced that this virus is an unfounded conspiracy theory designed to sow fear and division. It is said that a man who habitually cheats on his wife sees infidelity everywhere.

Their own perfidy now blinds them to the risk. If and when they get sick the science and expertise they disingenuously spurned will guide their treatment, both white non-white nurses will succor them, taxes collected from immigrants and whites alike will pay their costs, and college educated “elite” doctors will come to their aid.

One can only hope that should they survive they won’t go back to their basements to tweet, blog, or Facebook new false conspiracy theories. But we all know they will.

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post (total 6): jfmckenna (Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:32 pm) • Terence Kennedy (Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:07 am) • Smylight (Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:53 pm) • Bri (Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:16 pm) • J De Rocher (Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:08 pm) • Bryan Bear (Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:35 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

oval soundhole wrote:
I arrived in Spain on March 1st to work in Stephen Hill's shop for a few months and build some classical guitars with Granada on the label. When I arrived there were some cases in Madrid but nothing in Malaga or Granada.

Within a week cases in Madrid started to skyrocket and spread to Malaga. About 2 weeks ago the first cases arrived in Granada province and plans for the annual fiesta that would have occurred yesterday were immediately scrapped. This past Saturday all bars and restaurants were closed on order from the government and on Monday at 8:00 the whole country went into quarantine. I've been able to get to the shop for a few hours a days as the supermarket is right down the road (only allowed to leave one's home to go to the supermarket or pharmacy) so I buy some food, go to the shop, close the blinds and leave shortly before the supermarket closes so I have an excuse as to why I'm on the streets should the police ask.

Stephen has luckily been given permission to continue working in his main shop as he lives only a few meters away but is no longer able to have anyone but himself inside. I've spent most of my time holed up in my apartment looking out on the Mediterranean (woe is me) and eagerly awaiting the curve of infection to flatten so I can resume working normal hours in the shop

In the meantime I've stocked up on absurd amounts of beer and gin so my time in quarantine hasn't been all that bad

Dang dude, hang in there. Here's to hoping you get some guitars built in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
oval soundhole wrote:
I arrived in Spain on March 1st to work in Stephen Hill's shop for a few months and build some classical guitars with Granada on the label. When I arrived there were some cases in Madrid but nothing in Malaga or Granada....

It looks like my daughter and I came back from Madrid Jan 3rd with the virus. We both got over it before we even knew to be afraid and there was no testing in the States. My daughter got very sick with the exact symptoms for just below critical, over 101 fever for 5 days, a very deep dry cough, she started to get shortness of breath and was worried about pneumonia when she got better. I was sick at the same time but with less severe symptoms. Now we may be getting tested as plasma donors for an immunoglobulin therapy test.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post (total 4): Barry Daniels (Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:54 am) • Robbie_McD (Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 am) • bcombs510 (Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:05 pm) • Michaeldc (Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:49 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

So glad to hear that you both recovered. If you got it in Spain, that would pre-date the first known case of COVID-19 in the U.S. by almost three weeks. I hope neither of you have any persisting effects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next