Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
Focus: Build
I just ran across this finish and I'm curious about it. I know nothing about the chemistry of finishes so I hope that someone with that knowledge could give me a hint about the suitability of this stuff for acoustic guitars. The safety claims make it attractive and the marketing blurb indicates that it's hard enough for floor finishing. But is this likely to perform like Try Oil or other drying oil finishes? Or will it be more like a polyurethane film finish? Protective enough? Too soft and stretchy / sound dampening?

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/i ... lear+Satin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:24 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
bionta wrote:
I just ran across this finish and I'm curious about it. I know nothing about the chemistry of finishes so I hope that someone with that knowledge could give me a hint about the suitability of this stuff for acoustic guitars. The safety claims make it attractive and the marketing blurb indicates that it's hard enough for floor finishing. But is this likely to perform like Try Oil or other drying oil finishes? Or will it be more like a polyurethane film finish? Protective enough? Too soft and stretchy / sound dampening?

idunno :D I dunno about the finish but I just wanted to say hi to my friend and fellow kidney stone survivor. I hope that you are doing great.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bionta (Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:57 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Make a few test panels and report back ;)

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: bionta (Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:07 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:03 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hesh wrote:
bionta wrote:

idunno :D I dunno about the finish but I just wanted to say hi to my friend and fellow kidney stone survivor. I hope that you are doing great.

Hi Hesh! Happy to say, no kidney stones since ... I think it was 2010. Just drinking a lot. Guinness works. (Water too.) Hope all is great with you too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:07 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

jfmckenna wrote:
Make a few test panels and report back ;)

That's the right idea I guess. I'd have to buy the stuff first tho.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
I've been looking for something similar that would be an easy finish on an upright bass I'm reassembling and finishing. I have been using nitro lately on guitars but this creature is too big for my finishing room. Most of the wipe on products in recent posts are not easily available in CA. Idea's?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

CarlD wrote:
I've been looking for something similar that would be an easy finish on an upright bass I'm reassembling and finishing. I have been using nitro lately on guitars but this creature is too big for my finishing room. Most of the wipe on products in recent posts are not easily available in CA. Idea's?

Hi Carl, maybe you’re just the guy to test this one. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] well anyway, you seem to have the need. I should point out there is also another “safe”, low VOC finish on that web site:

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/i ... -on+Finish

Both of these seem like the kind of finish that might be available in CA but I live on the other coast so don’t take my word for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Sounds more suitable for fingerboard treatment than whole instrument finishing. Have you ever felt pure walnut oil finish? My guess is it will be similar to that, followed by a coat of paste wax. Should keep dirt out of the wood micro-structure, but that's about it. The hardness will depend entirely on the wood that it's applied to.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post: bionta (Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:02 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Not anything I would recommend for musical instruments.....

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: bionta (Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:42 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks gentlemen. That's exactly what I needed to know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:44 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

DennisK wrote:
Sounds more suitable for fingerboard treatment than whole instrument finishing. Have you ever felt pure walnut oil finish? My guess is it will be similar to that, followed by a coat of paste wax. Should keep dirt out of the wood micro-structure, but that's about it. The hardness will depend entirely on the wood that it's applied to.

Come to think of it, I have. It felt great under the fingers, but felt and looked almost like no finish at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:08 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
The quest for a guitar worthy finish that's easy to apply without a spray booth is something a LOT of us are waiting for and you can put me on top of the list.

At least with a house that's over a hundred years old and under a constant state of remodeling, I have plenty of wood to finish with all the quarts and gallons of super duper new finishes that just didn't live up to expectations. KTM-9 anyone?

Osmo has been getting a lot of buzz for floors and furniture and even some electric guitars. Haven't heard of anyone using it for acoustics yet, if anyone has, links would be nice.

At least Osmo is talking about dealing with oily exotics and mentions guitars. That's a good sign in R&D.

https://osmo.ca/2017/08/11/how-to-finish-exotic-woods/

I'd like to test some but it doesn't seem to be readily available and it's fairly expensive.

These users thanked the author rbuddy for the post (total 2): Bri (Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:33 am) • bionta (Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
I'm pretty sure that is mostly used as a wood floor finish. I used it client supplied once on a floor and it had a most unusual application process and characteristics. It left a good end result.

Top, a hard no. Back and sides, maybe. Neck, could be really nice. As mentioned. Test panels.

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: bionta (Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 am)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Traditional oils are known for soaking in without necessarily forming a good protective film. They tend to add damping and mass, which we don't want, and not protect the wood in ways that we need. Of course, I have no idea as to what sorts of alchemy they've done with this stuff, so you're on your own in terms of figuring out whether it's suitable as a guitar finish.

A friend points out that when there are a lot of ways of doing something, it's a sign that either everything works, or nothing works. In the case of guitar finishes it's the latter. Figure out what you need the finish to do, and what drawbacks you're willing to live with to get that, and take it from there.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: Johny (Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:01 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I have very minimal experience with wood finishing, but I've been using this on electric guitars. I like how resonant it leaves the instrument. It makes the instrument feel "woody" and "organic" and it works for what I like, but its not durable. Probably just a bit more protected than bare wood. Having said that I don't really find nitro overly durable either.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post: bionta (Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:41 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've been using a floor varnish for finishing guitars. It's noticeably harder than nitro, and tougher; more likely to dent than to scratch. It goes on thin, and I can end up with a coating that's not much thicker than a good FP finish; around .0025" thick. That's about half the thickness of a normal sprayed nitro finish. No finish, no matter how tough or hard, can offer much protection against dings at that thickness.

Shellac is, in fact, a fairly hard resin, and because it's cross-liked it's also one of the tougher ones. FP suffers in part simply from the thinness of the finish coat, as said, and partly from the fact that shellac is soluble in alkaline water solutions, which, for some people, is sweat. There's not much you can do about the chemistry except wait it out. Shellac continues to cross link as it ages, and eventually becomes practically insoluble in anything. All you need to do is wait 75 years or so. Right about the time the chemically unstable nitro is falling off other folk's instruments, yours will be looking their best....

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post (total 3): bionta (Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:05 am) • Tom Barton (Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:53 pm) • Conor_Searl (Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:12 pm)