It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: UV Light Sterilization?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

I was wondering if the UV light I use for curing finish could also work for sterilizing stuff coming into my house. Here's the wikipedia link which describes its effectiveness:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviol ... rradiation

Here's a cut and paste of the paragraph that tells how much light is needed to kill bacteria and viruses:

Inactivation of microorganisms
The degree of inactivation by ultraviolet radiation is directly related to the UV dose applied to the water. The dosage, a product of UV light intensity and exposure time, is usually measured in microjoules per square centimeter, or equivalently as microwatt seconds per square centimeter (μW·s/cm2). Dosages for a 90% kill of most bacteria and viruses range from 2,000 to 8,000 μW·s/cm2. Larger parasites such as cryptosporidium require a lower dose for inactivation.

From this I would think it should be just a little bit of math for to get the required exposure time for my particular light.

Pat

Those that make things happen,
those that watch things happen,
and those that wondered what happened.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Ingalls
City: Ashland
State: OR
Zip/Postal Code: 97520
Focus: Build
I'm thinking along similar lines. My UV cabinet is mainly used to cure Tru-Oil. It uses four 2 ft UV-A tubes (350nm). Most information that I've been able to find on disinfection talks about UV-C but I haven't found anything that says that UV-A isn't effective for disinfection. UV-C seems to have the advantage that it is less harmful to humans than A and B and I infer that this is the reason that UV disinfection devices use C. Does anyone have information on this subject?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:06 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Smith
City: Graton
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95444
they use uv light in certain hospital rooms used for infectious diseases. Not while patients are in the room but between patients. You should be able to dig into that to find out the dose required. Or you could find out the equivalent sunlight required to deactivate this type of corona virus and make your calculations from there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:16 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mike
Last Name: McNerney
City: Ottawa
State: On
Yah I heard about the UV light robots in some texas hospital but I don't think yhey know if it kills covid 19. Stay inside Pat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I have the same concerns about bringing stuff into the house, everything from deliveries to items from the grocery store. I haven't come up with a solution yet.

The UV light may work but it presents dangers of its own. But then I don't have one. I would like to hear what you decide.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Use gloves, wipe down with a bleach solution or soapy water, leave to dry, wash your hands

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

I was thinking of things that might be not so amenable to liquid solution cleaning, for example perhaps getting an extra use out of a face mask. My light puts out 578 mw/cm^2 at three inches which, when I compare it to the 2 - 8 mw/cm^2 I quoted above makes me think that my light would blast those viruses pretty good. But, as I really don't know what I am talking about, I will of course take all other precautions available to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I checked into using microwave to sterilize face masks. Most of what I found was talking about getting it wet first then streaming. People said it was a bad idea because the treatment damaged the filtering properties of the N95 mask. But, I still tried the micro by covering the metal on the mask and putting it in dry for 1 minute. I don't know if it helped or hurt but it seemed fine afterward.

I also looked into using UV. It seems it works on some surfaces if done using the right technique, but what I read was vague.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
UV is an effective disinfectant but only for impermeable, hard surfaces and for airborne pathogens. For a breathing mask, it would kill germs on the surface but would not penetrate the filter material to any significant depth. So virus could be deeper in the filter and would not be treated.

I have no evidence that it would work, but I think a more effective treatment would be to place the mask in a washing machine and add a bit of bleach to the water. As long as the mask doesn't come apart, this should neutralize most of the virus. Another possible approach would be to soak the mask in denatured alcohol and then let it dry thoroughly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/bes ... ask-virus/
Do nothing, leave to dry for 48-72 hrs.
Lots of other info on the site, links on page

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Colin, that website is there to sell stuff. I don't get a real good feeling that their data is legit. Interesting comparison of materials to build respirators, but this is far from a reliable scientific study. Where do they get their data from? In this day, I am very skeptical in information from the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Barry Daniels wrote:
Colin, that website is there to sell stuff. I don't get a real good feeling that their data is legit. Interesting comparison of materials to build respirators, but this is far from a reliable scientific study. Where do they get their data from? In this day, I am very skeptical in information from the internet.

I'm just about as sceptical as it comes re info from the net, it's just I was looking at that site when I remembered the query.
Fits in with all the official sources for information I've seen.
Quote:
"NIH (National Institutes of Health) study found that the Sars-CoV-2 virus survives for longer on cardboard (than in droplets in air)– up to 24 hours – and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless-steel surfaces."

Source - The BBC website https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces
There are numerous others (including American studies), and all the news channels here have been answering questions about coronavirus, the one about surfaces is common.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:32 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I saw the title of this thread this morning and wondered why I didn't think of UV light for sterilization when I was in my 20's and dating.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
My 2 cents...... If sterilization of this type worked to any degree it would already be in widespread use in hospitals.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

B. Howard wrote:
My 2 cents...... If sterilization of this type worked to any degree it would already be in widespread use in hospitals.

It is. Uses UVC. Wavelengths between about 200 nm and 300 nm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_germicidal_irradiation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

It looks like the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) will be using UV light to sterilize their face masks for re-use: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-ne ... the-start/