Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:46 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yes, the tilted saddle is self correcting assuming the slot is in the right place to start with. But you need to calculate the small difference of where the top of the saddle will be in relation to where the slot should be to put it there. To locate the slot you need to calculate compensation at the top of the bridge rather than the top of the saddle.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Barry Daniels wrote:
I seem to remember that Rick Turner had an explanation that the tilted saddle was self correcting. I think it went like this: As you raised the action, the strings would need more compensation which was achieved by the tilt. The need for the additional compensation was that the strings would stretch more when you fret the higher string action. To me, it makes sense conceptually. In practice, who knows?

Makes sense. As the strings get higher then when you fret them they will pull slightly sharper. A rearward leaning saddle will increase the string length as it is raised thus making the strings slightly more flat and therefore self-compensating, to some degree. The exact angle that works will be dependent on the string characteristics but I think that is getting way into the weeds. I don't think tilting the saddle hurts, however, I think it is most important to make sure the bottom and sides of the slot are flat and properly fitted. Personally, I don't tilt the saddle and the customers I have who are hyper-picky about intonation don't have any complaints. YMMV.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

To further muddy the waters should we also add in the supposed ideal bridge rotation (2 degrees?) and make it 9 degrees? idunno At some point you put away the pencil and paper and just try to make it sound good.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I have lately been setting intonation with a Stew-Mac Intonator which takes all real life conditions (like bridge rotation) into effect.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
Focus: Build
Self-correcting intonation wasn't the goal for me initially. I happened across Fishman's Advanced Undersaddle pickup guide instructions (something like that) and went from there.
https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer ... lation.pdf

A friend saw me install a UST into a Tiltback saddle and was surprised at how "uneventful" is was.

I later found out it was Rick that inventented it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
Focus: Build
Threw this together this afternoon, works great. Had some scraps of starboard,HDPE, leftover from a job. Router fits tight, yet slides easy.

Thanks for the ideas.

B

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice looking jig Brian. It looks like it will work well.

Rereading Hesh's post about tilted saddles the light bulb came on and I understand now what he means about their drawbacks. For instruments that don't have seasonal fluctuations in the action tilted saddles may have some small benefit, but for those whose action changes (rising and falling top) with the seasons the tilted saddle may throw off the compensation more than an upright one. D'oh!

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Bri (Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:11 pm)