All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
I've put together kit guitars in the past but this is my first from scratch build of my own design.

It's a short jumbo at 19 1/2" long but the lower bout is 17.5" with a 11 3/4 upper bout. I made it without a mold and I also made every component except for the neck which I got from LMII with the "semi carved" option they have so I could put my own headstock shape and neck profile on it. I did alot of things to make the body feel smaller and it really worked. Nobody that has played it complained about the width or even mentioned it.

It's definitely not in the Martin or Gibson camp in terms of tone. It's been strung for about a week now and the initial reaction everyone gives me is "wow this thing is really powerful" so I guess that's good. We'll have to see how she ages in.

She's really rough, and she's kind of asymetrical, but she's my first and I'm really proud and feeling accomplished. Already got the next one planned.

Thanks for all the inspiration and help on this forum. And special thanks to Bruce Sexauer for making me feel better about asymetry and not building to a Martin/Gibson style.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Not bad for a first instrument. Completing your first and having a playable instrument is a big step toward becoming a luthier. When you strum the first few chords and the instrument comes alive always gives a nice sense of accomplishment. Eventually you will refine the work and obsess over the details, but with the first just having it all come together and be a good sounding guitar is enough. Overall the guitar looks well put together and the woods are quite nice.
So what do you have planned for the next one?

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:26 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
Focus: Build
Nice, the pics make it look huge.
I love the dark binding/light wood contrast, wenge or rosewood?
Ggod job

These users thanked the author Bri for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:39 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Nice work, Dan. I like that you made your own shape on the first go. Kudos for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:39 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
My hat's off to you Sir, nicely done!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:39 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:44 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Blake
Last Name: Dyson
City: Hillsborough
State: NC
Zip/Postal Code: 27278
Beautiful wood and a great first guitar! I’m impressed. Kudos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Luthier1975 for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:40 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yeah that's a big-un there! Congrats,

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:40 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:29 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Love it, nice job Dan!

https://youtu.be/VMnjF1O4eH0

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:40 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You took on a lot of challenges for your #1! Congrats!

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:42 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Deep thought: The only way to get good at doing anything is to do it imperfectly, and then do it some more, getting better each time. Think of how many things you learned by building this one. Hats off for going with something other than what we normally see.

Keeping with the celebration of the wide lower bout:

https://youtu.be/X53ZSxkQ3Ho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:28 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I like that it is outside of the norm. But then again, I don't really go for anything that is normal. Why be YBNRML That's what my wife says my personalized license plate would be. There are 1,000's of guitars that are normal.

The outline of the body is kinda Art Deco somehow, and it has a minimalist feel with simple binding and nothing else. The maple is left alone to be the star. Nice. The thing about doing thing differently, is that if that is your habit, then you seem to always find something that you'd do differently in everything that you do. Like Don just said, everything you do is an opportunity to grow and learn. It's exciting to live like that.

Good job.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:43 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Well done, Dan! Building from scratch is high bar to clear, even more so when creating a unique design. Lovely wood choices and, like others, I admire the juxtaposition of dark and light. [clap]

These users thanked the author George L for the post: DanKirkland (Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:43 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 am 
Koa
Koa

Thank you all for the kind words. And yes I was headbanging to Queen while I was making this thing Hesh and Don haha!

Ken Nagy wrote:
I like that it is outside of the norm. But then again, I don't really go for anything that is normal. Why be YBNRML That's what my wife says my personalized license plate would be. There are 1,000's of guitars that are normal.

The outline of the body is kinda Art Deco somehow, and it has a minimalist feel with simple binding and nothing else. The maple is left alone to be the star. Nice. The thing about doing thing differently, is that if that is your habit, then you seem to always find something that you'd do differently in everything that you do. Like Don just said, everything you do is an opportunity to grow and learn. It's exciting to live like that.

Good job.

Thanks Ken. I'm actually really happy that you pointed out all those things as that's pretty much exactly what I was going for in looks. So thank you for the kind words!

Clay S. wrote:
Not bad for a first instrument. Completing your first and having a playable instrument is a big step toward becoming a luthier. When you strum the first few chords and the instrument comes alive always gives a nice sense of accomplishment. Eventually you will refine the work and obsess over the details, but with the first just having it all come together and be a good sounding guitar is enough. Overall the guitar looks well put together and the woods are quite nice.
So what do you have planned for the next one?

Thanks Clay!

The next one will.be another in this body shape and size. My big concern was how it'll feel to people that are used to a regular OM or a dress and since I've gotten 0 complaints on the size I'd count it a success. I also plan on mechanizing a bit and getting a few power tools. My biggest hurdle was cutting the binding channels and doing that by hand just takes forever and resulted in the little nicks and chips you can see in the first photo. It's cool to do it all by hand but wildly impractical for some jobs in my view.

I might get a nice piece of Fiddleback and do a darker shellac for the next one too. I really want to refine this body shape and make it something.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:40 pm 
Koa
Koa

Bri wrote:
Nice, the pics make it look huge.
I love the dark binding/light wood contrast, wenge or rosewood?
Ggod job

Thank you!

Not gonna lie it is a large guitar. The binding is ebano from LMII. I tried ebony but it wasn't quite the color I wanted.