Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:44 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Nathan
Last Name: Peirson
Focus: Build
Hi Folks, I am working on an OM with Sinker Redwood top and Black Walnut back and sides. Does anyone have opinions of how tall/thick braces should be working with the redwood? I was planing on going with traditional bracing (with some Adirondack Spruce I have) and traditional sizes, at least traditional in relation to Grellier's OM plans. This guitar will be primarily a fingerstyle player. Thanks for your input. I am always indebted to you all.

Last edited by nathanpeirson on Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Nathan,
What you have proposed seems like a reasonable plan. Redwood tends to be "splitty" so it takes more care in it's handling, and to me has a little more "slippery" surface, so a freshly prepared gluing surface might be a good idea. I don't have a lot of experience with redwood, and none with "sinker"redwood, so hopefully those who have will chime in.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: nathanpeirson (Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:58 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I've built with one sinker redwood top. I used red spruce braces sized the same as I would for a spruce top. Don't recall if the bracing ended up lighter after voicing. Glued on in the normal manner although I always run a scraper over the surfaces before I glue.

I suppose I should have added that the guitar is about 3 years old now, it sounds good and everything has held together well. There's a bunch of photos in this 2016 challenge thread:
http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10145&t=47893

Last edited by SteveSmith on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: nathanpeirson (Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:58 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Nathan,
I've built several OMs and am happy with the results I'm getting from X-braces that are .250 x .550-.650. However, the one guitar I've made with sinker redwood telegraphed the bracing quite noticeably, which has not happened with any of the spruces I've used. If using redwood again, I'd try using slightly wider braces, so the Grellier width (.313) seems okay to me. All wood is unique and my sample size is exactly one, so ... don't forget the grain of salt. :-)

Redwood will show a scratch or ding if you look at it sideways. I suggest protecting the top with poster board or such and working it as little as possible throughout the build process.

These users thanked the author George L for the post (total 2): nathanpeirson (Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:58 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:18 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Nathan
Last Name: Peirson
I have heard that Redwood is splintery and have applied a 1lb cut of shellac to the piece before I cut the rosette channel or the guitar shape. Since this is my first serious build (done some repair and octave mandolin build) I'll have to glean as much as I can, regarding voicing the top, from this forum and Youtube. Any advice there is also appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:40 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
On average you can expect redwood to be much like spruce and you would Use similar dimensions to the braces as for, say, sitka. However, there seems to be a lot more variation between pieces of redwood than there you find with other soundboard timbers. This is why I say “on average” - but you met some pieces which are not so average. Take it down to about 3mm and see how floppy it feels. Regarding the Grellier OM plans - I have seen some comments that it might have the bracing a bit on the heavy side. But I have not used it myself so what I am reporting is hearsay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Redwood is not so much splintery as "splitty" - it likes to split along the grain and will do so at the least provocation. gaah