It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Downdraft table top
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:03 am 
Koa
Koa

Looking into building a downdraft table.
What would be the top of choice?
I’ve seen ppl make them from pegboard....
but wanted to see if there was a better option.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Downdraft table top
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:08 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Greg
Last Name: Maxwell
City: Mount Vernon
State: Ohio
Focus: Build
I used pegboard. It works very well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Depends on your dust collector. Mine is an Oneida Dust Gorilla with a 7" inlet and my downdraft table is right next to the collector. I used pegboard too but there was not enough airflow through the 1/4" holes so I drilled the holes out to 3/8" which works great. The pegboard sits on top of 1/2" plywood for strength.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Ernie Kleinman (Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:21 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:29 am 
Koa
Koa

SteveSmith wrote:
Depends on your dust collector. Mine is an Oneida Dust Gorilla with a 7" inlet and my downdraft table is right next to the collector. I used pegboard too but there was not enough airflow through the 1/4" holes so I drilled the holes out to 3/8" which works great. The pegboard sits on top of 1/2" plywood for strength.

Dust collector is a

Jet DC-1200VX-CK1 Dust Collector 2HP

So pegboard is the consensus ... possibly drilling out the holes. Thanks guys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
On the 2sand.com blog there are some good plans for one of these that I used to make one. Here's the link, https://2sand.com/product_images/upload ... nPlans.pdf. I used 1/2" baltic ply instead of the 3/4". It's still heavy since I put it up on the workbench instead of a dedicated base.

These users thanked the author CarlD for the post: SnowManSnow (Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:04 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I went back and looked at some of my build photos and turns out I did not use pegboard but rather just skinned it with 1/4" Masonite which I had left over. I just laid out a grid and drilled it, didn't take long. I also remember that I chamfered the holes.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: SnowManSnow (Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:03 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I was never able to get really satisfactory results with my homemade table with pegboard connected to the dust collector.

About 10 years ago I bought a Sand Pro M series commercial unit and it was money very well spent. With clean filters it’s a fookin hurricane. I have made attachments that allow some routing and neck shaping procedures to be done on it and it sucks most everything in quite well.

We work in a very toxic environment. If you are serious about this craft and plan to do it for a long time buying the best possible dust collection and air filtering equipment is really important. I skimped early on and it was a mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Here's a shot while I was building mine. It's all about airflow and getting the CFM through the table and to the dust collector. Obviously the dust collector must be a capable unit for it to work. My Dust Gorilla is just to the left of the photo. The downdraft table top is about 24" x 36". I modeled mine after a commercial unit.

Attachment:
IMG_2254.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Terence Kennedy wrote:
We work in a very toxic environment. If you are serious about this craft and plan to do it for a long time buying the best possible dust collection and air filtering equipment is really important. I skimped early on and it was a mistake.

Piggybacking off of this: I think one of the things we tend to underestimate to our detriment, whether it is for dust collection or a spray booth, is the size of the fans/impellers/motors needed for the task. More power is more expensive, so we look for ways to do it for less. In general, we would all be healthier if we thought in larger (and, unfortunately, more expensive) terms when it comes to moving air that has harmful crap in it. Just my observation from the hobbyist bleachers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pete
Last Name: Liccardello
City: Eden Prairie
State: Minnesota
Here is a link and some pics of a downdraft table that I built back in '09. I used a shelf from one of the plastic storage shelf packages that you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. It worked well and I had no problems with it. The plastic had a hard surface and material would slip if you didn't use a small piece of foam immediately under your material to act as a friction agent. The table worked so well that my son talked me out of it when I began to back down and is now using it in his cabinet shop. :-)

viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=23946

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
I used pegboard. It worked much better after I chamfered to holes. It’s not magic, but it catches a lot of dust.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Peter J wrote:
Here is a link and some pics of a downdraft table that I built back in '09. I used a shelf from one of the plastic storage shelf packages that you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. It worked well and I had no problems with it. The plastic had a hard surface and material would slip if you didn't use a small piece of foam immediately under your material to act as a friction agent. The table worked so well that my son talked me out of it when I began to back down and is now using it in his cabinet shop. :-)

viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=23946

Nice. That is exact how my commercial Sand Pro works. Bet it works great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Here’s my take on it.

It’s handy if the holes are large enough to collect routing spoil as well as sanding dust. I think mine are 3/8” chased by an 1/8” round-over. It also does a descent job of work holding during sanding operations.

Best, M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:06 pm) • SnowManSnow (Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:42 am)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:43 am 
Koa
Koa

Michaeldc wrote:
Here’s my take on it.

It’s handy if the holes are large enough to collect routing spoil as well as sanding dust. I think mine are 3/8” chased by an 1/8” round-over. It also does a descent job of work holding during sanding operations.

Best, M

I really like that idea (looking at the binding jig mounted there too!)
And nice collection of colt routers:)

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post: Michaeldc (Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:58 am)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:59 am 
Koa
Koa

SnowManSnow wrote:
Michaeldc wrote:
Here’s my take on it.

Best, M

I really like that idea (looking at the binding jig mounted there too!)
And nice collection of colt routers:)

Yeah, hate changing bits... Set it and forgot it.

M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: bcombs510 (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:44 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:50 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Nice setup.

At the old shop, the body sanding bench had long slots, not holes. Prolly about 3/8” wide. The top was made of sturdy mdf I’m guessing at least 3/4”, not something flimsy like pegboard...pulled a lot of air, you needed to be mindful of what you put on the bench. ‘Cause if it made it through the slots, it was gone baby gone.

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:44 pm) • Pmaj7 (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:07 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:28 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
I love looking at pictures of other peoples' shops. Is that paneled wainscoting on the walls? Nicer than my house. :^) I remember the motorized sanding disk from another thread. Very nice design. And are those willow switches up there near the ceiling? Basket making? Rustic inlays? Inquiring minds want to know. :^)

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: bcombs510 (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:44 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

bionta wrote:
I love looking at pictures of other peoples' shops. Is that paneled wainscoting on the walls? Nicer than my house. :^) I remember the motorized sanding disk from another thread. Very nice design. And are those willow switches up there near the ceiling? Basket making? Rustic inlays? Inquiring minds want to know. :^)

Yes, it’s very poorly executed wainscoting. It took 5 tubes of caulk and 3 coats of paint to make it look somewhat presentable. The guy we bought the house from had “HGTV poisoning” and no skill to back it up. He was going for English Pub. There was a kegerator when we first moved in. Everything about the finishes are terrible and will be stripped back to the studs if we decide to repurpose the space. That said, it is perfect for a shop!

As for the “Spirit broom” (don’t really know what else to call it), I was given to me by a client who saw it and thought of me idunno . They are a return customer so unfortunately I’ve got to hang onto it until one of us dies...

Cheers, M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 2): Ernie Kleinman (Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:28 am) • bcombs510 (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:43 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I mean, I’d be thrilled if my shop looked like that...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: bcombs510 (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:44 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

meddlingfool wrote:
I mean, I’d be thrilled if my shop looked like that...

Don’t get me wrong, Ed, it’s a great space and I feel very fortunate to have it. Going to work down there is a real pleasure!

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: bcombs510 (Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:44 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:48 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
Michaeldc wrote:
bionta wrote:

Yes, it’s very poorly executed wainscoting. It took 5 tubes of caulk and 3 coats of paint to make it look somewhat presentable. The guy we bought the house from had “HGTV poisoning” and no skill to back it up. He was going for English Pub. There was a kegerator when we first moved in. Everything about the finishes are terrible and will be stripped back to the studs if we decide to repurpose the space. That said, it is perfect for a shop!

As for the “Spirit broom” (don’t really know what else to call it), I was given to me by a client who saw it and thought of me idunno . They are a return customer so unfortunately I’ve got to hang onto it until one of us dies...

Cheers, M

Oh yeah. I have a house like that. The previous owner thought he could do all kinds of cool stuff, like make built-in bookcases and cabinets (you start with a bunch of crooked 2x4s and some 1/2" sheathing plywood and lots and lots and lots of 23 gauge pins for your new pinner...), wiring (just wire-nut those suckers together and use a couple rolls of electrical tape 'cause you're going to plaster over that hole in the wall and nobody will see it anyway), plumbing (compression fittings are cool inside walls, right? Just make sure you crank 'em down really, really hard). The realtor told me he had moved out of the state and started his own business as a house inspector. Aye aye aye.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

bionta wrote:
Michaeldc wrote:
bionta wrote:

Cheers, M

Oh yeah. I have a house like that. The previous owner thought he could do all kinds of cool stuff, like make built-in bookcases and cabinets (you start with a bunch of crooked 2x4s and some 1/2" sheathing plywood and lots and lots and lots of 23 gauge pins for your new pinner...), wiring (just wire-nut those suckers together and use a couple rolls of electrical tape 'cause you're going to plaster over that hole in the wall and nobody will see it anyway), plumbing (compression fittings are cool inside walls, right? Just make sure you crank 'em down really, really hard). The realtor told me he had moved out of the state and started his own business as a house inspector. Aye aye aye.

Hahaha!

I am a retired general contractor who specialized in historic restoration (Victorian-period of significance). I’ve pretty much seen it all!

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: bionta (Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:00 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

Got started today
Still need to make the box underneath and walls and such but it’s a good start ... I think

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

SnowManSnow wrote:
Got started today
Still need to make the box underneath and walls and such but it’s a good start ... I think

It looks like you should have made the box and hooked up the vacuum before you drilled the holes! laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:26 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Michael your shop is so clean . when can I move in?