Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:30 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I am trying to duplicate John Greven's grain filling technique with System 3 Silvertip Epoxy.
Can anyone tell me if they are using the fast or slow set?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
I use the slow and it works fine for me. Overnight. But I’m in no hurry, usually.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
I use the fast. Plenty of open time and can recoat in 6hrs. Also: Silvertip doesn’t need to be sanded between coats as long as you recoat within 72hrs.

Pretty sure John used the fast...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

disclaimer: I know squat about this subject as it relates to grain filling

but...

from many years of experience using epoxy as a glue I can confidently say the fast cure stuff is no where near as long lasting as the slow cure...by that I mean the fast cure stuff fails after a time whereas I've never had a joint fail using the "old school" 24+ hr curing time versions

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:12 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I use slow cure. I find it works better in the end and I always have more than one thing on the go, so time is not an issue.

Brent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
I haven't had any issues with the fast cure, but I have limited experience so far. I love the product, overall.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:33 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Michaeldc wrote:
I use the fast. Plenty of open time and can recoat in 6hrs. Also: Silvertip doesn’t need to be sanded between coats as long as you recoat within 72hrs.

Pretty sure John used the fast...

In John Greven's presentation to the Seattle Luthiers Group, he said he used the fast hardener.

Mike_P wrote:

but...

from many years of experience using epoxy as a glue I can confidently say the fast cure stuff is no where near as long lasting as the slow cure...by that I mean the fast cure stuff fails after a time whereas I've never had a joint fail using the "old school" 24+ hr curing time versions

I'm wondering if failure in a joint and failure as a micro-thin unstressed layer under a finish would be the same or different things.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Michaeldc (Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:41 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

J De Rocher wrote:

Mike_P wrote:

but...

I'm wondering if failure in a joint and failure as a micro-thin unstressed layer under a finish would be the same or different things.

a question who's answer I wonder about, hence my taking the time to post about my experiences with fast vs. slow epoxy...I guess my "worries" revolve around the concept of delamination from either the substrate (wood) or the finish, or both I guess with the wood side going first and that affecting the finish... idunno or perhaps something unsightly like a whitish effect occurring where the epoxy starts to break up yet is still holding, again idunno

experience has taught me to avoid using fast cure in all cases that something is going to be under load and needs to stay put, and that of course is not the case with grain filling...what I have observed when I've had to deal with failed epoxy uses is that the failures basically shatter the epoxy, which leads me to use the term "brittle" when referring to the stuff, and that brittleness is what makes me pause and reflect.