Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: 1st Build Suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:37 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Corey
State: MI
Focus: Build
I've been doing a lot of research, watching countless videos and even looking up all the parts, materials and tools that would be needed, but I need some suggestions.
For my first build, what if any parts, should I build from scratch, or buy prebuilt?
I've read in a quite of few places that people suggest getting premade necks and fretboards because they're very complex and have zero room for errors.
With that, I either have, have access to, or have the extra cash to get any tools I would need for the job. I was a knife maker. So I've made and have my fair share of specialty tools myself along with machinery. So I feel I have the ability and "handiness" to take in this hobby/skill. I just don't want to jump into the deep end not know if I have floaters or not ;)

Edit: I feel like I should mention I will be building electric guitars. As I scroll through this forum and see only acoustic, I feel I may be in the wrong place. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

You're not in the wrong place. Many of the participants here build both electric and acoustic guitars. You might also check out the Musical Instrument Makers Forum, which has a section devoted to electric guitar construction, and also one for electronics (pickups, amps, etc).
This forum and the MIMF are both great resources for amateur (and professional) instrument makers.
For solid body electric instruments it is possible to buy many off the shelf parts that will let you assemble a guitar, but if you want to build something unique, making your own necks and bodies is not too difficult and doesn't require a lot of expensive specialized tooling or knowledge.
Stewart McDonald is another resource for lutherie tools and has a number of videos on building and setting up guitars. They have a fret scale calculator which is handy for determining fret placement for different scale lengths.
There is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, so a common admonition is to only buy tools as you find you need them, to avoid having tools you don't need.
Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:23 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Terry
+1

Solid bodies are not overly difficult. Yes, necks and fretboards are tricky but patience can overcome most of that. But, once you have that challenge in hand the rest is "just woodworking". You don't have to mess with resonate frequencies, measuring and milling tops and backs to the .001" of an inch, carving braces to shape tone, etc.

I assisted with a number of solid bodied instruments before every trying an acoustic, and they were relatively straightforward. Of course, you can make them very complicated with laminates, various staining and finishing processes, chambering, etc. But I wouldn't be afraid. Move forward with confidence!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:13 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Corey
State: MI
Thanks a lot guys. As I've said, I've seen many videos of neck and fretboard builds by themselves, and as they make it look easy with their tools, jigs and years of experience, I feel it won't be that easy come time. But I love learning, so I may just dive in and try one completely from scratch. I will check out those other forums for sure! Thanks so much

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Corey, as much as I love OLF and MIMF and as highly as I think of the builders who frequent this forum, there might be other places for you to look for the information you seek.

First let me suggest getting Melvyn Hiscock's book on building electric guitars. Melvyn just passed away and was working on an update to his classic book, but there have been thousands of guitars built from the current edition. He not only covers building three different styles of electric guitars, he covers subjects like geometry and tools and woods and electronics and finish which you need to know.

Second, both OLF and MIMF have electric guitar subforums but frankly they are very slow moving. A far better discussion site is TDPRI, specifically their DIY forum

https://www.tdpri.com/forums/tele-home-depot.46/

Altho TDPRI is called the telecaster forum, people are building every kind of guitar you can imagine. They are building with simple hand tools and with cnc's, there are rank beginners and full time pro's.

Neither OLF or MIMF encourage "build threads" but TDPRI has lots of step by step threads where you can watch the process (and mistakes). TDPRI has a very good free telecaster plans that many of use use, it has a great subforum on finishing (one of the hard parts of home building). There are lots of discussion of "parts casters" where guitars are assembled from commercially available necks and bodies. Spend some time browsing there.

Here are two of my build threads - pretty typical and might answer some of your questions

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chamber ... ng.884657/

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chamber ... ng.874641/

Good luck, have fun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Although the OLF and MIMF don't encourage "build threads" per se, they do allow them. Some builders take years to complete their projects which makes them "disappear" from the boards. The more usual route on these Forums is to post "in progress" and "completed" photo's at the same time - in other words, nothing wrong with showing how it was done, but hold those pictures until you are finished. But even that is not a rule, just a suggestion.
Posting pictures and questions about something you want information on - IS - encouraged, and people are quite willing to answer your questions.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the MIMF has an archive (library) where you can find a lot of good information and see some of the cool guitars members have made.
As Freeman said there are a lot of good resources for learning the craft- books, videos, online courses, and forums, many of which didn't exist just a few years ago.