All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
I'm trying to find a template for a 24.75 scale length neck like a L00 or a J45. Basically something I can just use to get the lines quickly on a blank. The shape of the neck isn't what I'm after just something that shows the lines for a headstock angle etc...

There is Waldron but their website is a mess and won't load at all. Any links or ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:46 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Can't you draw one off a fingerboard? You'll know where the nut is, and where the headstock slant begins, and where the blank ends depending on neck attachment style. All you need to do is connect the dots. Draw your heel profile, the depth at 1 and 10, and intersect the lines. Determine your headstock, length and angle etc. That's how I do it anyway...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): DanKirkland (Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:07 pm) • Colin North (Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:12 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
meddlingfool wrote:
Can't you draw one off a fingerboard? You'll know where the nut is, and where the headstock slant begins, and where the blank ends depending on neck attachment style. All you need to do is connect the dots. Draw your heel profile, the depth at 1 and 10, and intersect the lines. Determine your headstock, length and angle etc. That's how I do it anyway...

That's what I do for double neck blanks, quick and easy.
I have for the 2 Martin scales and 650 mm.
For the one offs, it's not so onerous to just draw an outline on a blank from a fret scale template.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
DanKirkland wrote:
I'm trying to find a template for a 24.75 scale length neck like a L00 or a J45. Basically something I can just use to get the lines quickly on a blank. The shape of the neck isn't what I'm after just something that shows the lines for a headstock angle etc...

There is Waldron but their website is a mess and won't load at all. Any links or ideas?

I think Waldron is closed or is closing. A message comes up and says closing due to retirement.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: BradHall (Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:28 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

meddlingfool wrote:

Well color me dumb lol I honestly don't know why that seemed so foreign to me to do that. Thanks sir. I think I just got stuck on the search and didn't think well enough through the problem

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: meddlingfool (Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:56 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Don’t forget to include the nut in either the headstock length or the FB surface length. Personally I prefer it on the FB surface side as a right angle nut is easier to make, for me.

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: DanKirkland (Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:34 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Arnold
City: Newport
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37821
Gibsons have always had a right angle nut that is 3/16" thick, nominally. I prefer the angled bottom of a Martin style nut, but that is because Martin repair is my specialty. I do find the angled nut easier to remove on those guitars where a peghead veneer butts against it.
FYI, the older Gibson guitar peghead angle is 17 degrees, while Martin is 15.

These users thanked the author John Arnold for the post: DanKirkland (Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:34 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For a classical I think the peghead angle is 10 to 12, which you could also use for a steel string slot head.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

John Arnold wrote:
Gibsons have always had a right angle nut that is 3/16" thick, nominally. I prefer the angled bottom of a Martin style nut, but that is because Martin repair is my specialty. I do find the angled nut easier to remove on those guitars where a peghead veneer butts against it.
FYI, the older Gibson guitar peghead angle is 17 degrees, while Martin is 15.

Thanks John for the info. I do have an older Gibby I'll probably end up using as a template for my future builds but having a number is good too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dan, if I read what you are looking for correctly, I think that you are looking for a Gibson style J45 profile of the angle of the headstock. 3/16" thick vertical nut and fretboard with a 24.75" scale that does not include the neck profile in terms of thickness and heel curvature or location of the 14th fret neck/body joint?

If that's the case, it can be fairly easily drawn in CAD and converted to a PDF file and printed (I am not sure of printer tolerance though).

Do you have access to a CAD program or someone that can accurately draw this for you? Also, Gibson changed the true length of its 24.75" scale over the years. The Gibson guitar scale that is commonly referred to as 24-3/4" is actually 24.562" currently (see this StewMac link https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/shop- ... uitar.html Or are you seeking a true 24.75" scale or Gibson's 24.562" scale today?

I recently had a 24.562" acrylic template cut on a CNC laser for a Gibson ES-335 style build I am planning. It wouldn't be difficult to add the location of each of the 21 or 22 frets if you can wait a few days for the PDF. I would use the StewMac fret calculator formula https://www.stewmac.com/fretcalculator.html I would need the neck angle you want (older Gibson's used a 17 degree headstock angle, I don't know what newer Gibson's use).

I build so few guitars that it makes more sense for me to buy serviced fretboards (fret slots cut and radiused).

Feel free to PM me here or in this thread if you need some help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

Anthony Z wrote:
Dan, if I read what you are looking for correctly, I think that you are looking for a Gibson style J45 profile of the angle of the headstock. 3/16" thick vertical nut and fretboard with a 24.75" scale that does not include the neck profile in terms of thickness and heel curvature or location of the 14th fret neck/body joint?

If that's the case, it can be fairly easily drawn in CAD and converted to a PDF file and printed (I am not sure of printer tolerance though).

Do you have access to a CAD program or someone that can accurately draw this for you? Also, Gibson changed the true length of its 24.75" scale over the years. The Gibson guitar scale that is commonly referred to as 24-3/4" is actually 24.562" currently (see this StewMac link https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/shop- ... uitar.html Or are you seeking a true 24.75" scale or Gibson's 24.562" scale today?

I recently had a 24.562" acrylic template cut on a CNC laser for a Gibson ES-335 style build I am planning. It wouldn't be difficult to add the location of each of the 21 or 22 frets if you can wait a few days for the PDF. I would use the StewMac fret calculator formula https://www.stewmac.com/fretcalculator.html I would need the neck angle you want (older Gibson's used a 17 degree headstock angle, I don't know what newer Gibson's use).

I build so few guitars that it makes more sense for me to buy serviced fretboards (fret slots cut and radiused).

Feel free to PM me here or in this thread if you need some help.

Hey Anthony I sent you a PM