Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Focus: Build
Hesh's post about a historian got me thinking about the old days here, where I got my start as burbank way back in '05. Here's a 2006 snapshot of the OLF from the Wayback Machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060522155618/http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1#forumTop

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: Hesh (Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:20 am)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:21 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Pretty cool that was a long time ago for sure. Sadly a few of those folks have passed as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

So long ago.... there will be very few I suspect who remember the first iteration of the OLF forum. There was less than 100 of us back in 2004 I think when Lance started it...

Anyone heard anything from John Mayes recently? I always liked his wit and his talent as a maker was very good.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Rod True wrote:
So long ago.... there will be very few I suspect who remember the first iteration of the OLF forum. There was less than 100 of us back in 2004 I think when Lance started it...

Anyone heard anything from John Mayes recently? I always liked his wit and his talent as a maker was very good.

Interesting that you asked about John Mayes. I have not heard from him lately, but I just looked back in the archives at my first post, which was in 2005, and John was the first person to respond to my question about the sound of sapele.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: How
City: Auburn
State: Ca
Pretty cool looking at the names from that way back list…

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

Wow, that's a great link through the way-back machine. Lots of names in that thread that make me smile. Not to be morbid or anything, but is there a thread on those in memoriam so we can remember those who have passed? Sounds like a job for Hesh as the new historian. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:41 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
John Elshaw wrote:
Wow, that's a great link through the way-back machine. Lots of names in that thread that make me smile. Not to be morbid or anything, but is there a thread on those in memoriam so we can remember those who have passed? Sounds like a job for Hesh as the new historian. ;-)

Hesh don't live here anymore but he does visit in weak moments..... :) Hope you are doing great John.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:58 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It was so small at first we all had our pictures and a bio on the membership page.

Armed with an abundance of knowledge gleaned from books, DVDs, and an occasional recently completed building course and with the heady self confidence of a few completed instruments we were unleashed upon the unsuspecting world of professional lutherie. :)

Hope the OLF continues to hang on.

(BTW I joined in the first year but as I recall there was some kind of website reorganization around 2007 and I had to rejoin and got a new date in my profile)

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Hesh (Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:20 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It couldn't have been that long ago. I'm not old enough to have been on this site that many years ago.

These users thanked the author Don Williams for the post: Hesh (Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:19 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'm only aware of the passing of David Bland, and later on Beth Mayer. Who else have we lost from the early days?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Don Williams wrote:
I'm only aware of the passing of David Bland, and later on Beth Mayer. Who else have we lost from the early days?

Lance McCollum
Kevin Gallagher

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post (total 2): Hesh (Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:20 am) • Don Williams (Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:03 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Andy
Pat Foster wrote:
Hesh's post about a historian got me thinking about the old days here, where I got my start as burbank way back in '05. Here's a 2006 snapshot of the OLF from the Wayback Machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060522155618/http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1#forumTop

Someone told me that a huge corpus of information (like many thousands of posts) got deleted or something, from the early or early mid years? I've seen holes in discussion threads when searching for content. Can one use the wayback machine to recover the threads? I'm not savvy enough to know the answer. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
AndyB wrote:
Someone told me that a huge corpus of information (like many thousands of posts) got deleted or something, from the early or early mid years? I've seen holes in discussion threads when searching for content. Can one use the wayback machine to recover the threads? I'm not savvy enough to know the answer. Thanks.

Yeah, I can't remember the details, but both Todd Stock and Filippo Morelli left and took all their posts with them some years back. Lot of drama for no good reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

AndyB wrote:
Pat Foster wrote:

There were only 261 wayback machine snapshots taken of the OLF since 2004, so there would be big gaps. You might get lucky though.