Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: herry
Last Name: trismono
City: malang
State: east java
Zip/Postal Code: 65142
Focus: Build
Hi, I need suggestion for Tinozza ABG building. I will build for my nephew for her wedding gift. I think this Tinozza big enough oops_sign for her duh (lowerbout 18" and sides width 6" body length 23"). Can I reduce to be a little smaller? but without reducing the sound. [uncle] Thanks alot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by herry tze on Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tinozza ABG building
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
I don’t know much about ABGs but from what I know of guitars, reducing the size of the body will definitely affect the sound.

However, it’s no guarantee that the effect will be negative … you might like it. If you have never built instruments to these plans before then you will have no basis for comparison anyhow. Remember that bigger body doesn’t equal “bigger sound” (whatever that means).

I once built a jumbo acoustic for a client who wanted something really big - we ended up at over 18” for the lower bout. He loves it. I’m happy with it too … but I’ve built 00-size guitars (~14” lower bout width) that sound louder with fuller bottom ends. But the jumbo is loud enough and well-balanced, which is what he was after - it was to be a studio axe destined to record rhythm guitar tracks buried way down in the mix.

So my vote is, reduce the body size of this ABG, if you want :D. You could also consider reducing the width (to make it easier for the player to get their arm around) but with deeper sides (to get back some of the lost soundbox volume)

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: herry tze (Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:13 am)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Make it comfortable. 18x23x6" isn't really big enough for good sound anyway.

One project I've been wanting to try for a long time is to design a flat top bass that actually functions as an acoustic instrument. More like 24x40x10" body, played standing up like a double bass.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post: herry tze (Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 am)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:12 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks DennisK.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:15 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks joshnothing, I will try to reduce, but I'm waiting maybe other suggestion for me.
https://www.liutaiomottola.com/instrume ... ocId970875

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:44 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Another design possibility to make the ABG feel smaller without losing to many cubic inches is to do a curved back design. This allows the player to wrap the guitar around their midsection, which may be an advantages for smaller players and rotund fellows such as myself.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:26 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Hans
Last Name: Mattes
City: Petaluma
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94952
Another approach, along the lines of what Clay suggests, is to build with a Manzer wedge. My last dozen (or so) guitar builds (mostly jumbos) have taken that approach and the results have been positive -- easier to play, yet without reducing box volume. Initially, I built with one side about 0.75" deeper than the other. With time I've evolved to builds as tapered as a 2" difference between the widths of the sides (e.g., 3" and 5"). The tapered shape does make routing the binding channels a bit more challenging, but it makes playing the instrument far more pleasant -- and still allows the sonic contribution of a live back.

These users thanked the author Hans Mattes for the post: herry tze (Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Clay S. wrote:
Another design possibility to make the ABG feel smaller without losing to many cubic inches is to do a curved back design. This allows the player to wrap the guitar around their midsection, which may be an advantages for smaller players and rotund fellows such as myself.

Thank's Clay. never seen curved back like that. Actually the Tinozza's back is convex, also the top