PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Focus: Build
I have a customer who has access to these strings a a great price. Dealer price. I’m buying a bunch for my shop. Willing to include folks if we can get a big enough buy. Keep it to 3 models by or so. Exp 20, 16, maybe something else? All acoustic, thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:29 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
I used to have a D'Addario account. It got canceled over Covid because I hadn't put in an order for a little while. I was told to reapply, which I've done twice and never gotten a response other than the automated "we got your application and will be back to you within 10 days" response. That was months ago. I like their strings and it helps when I can buy the bulk packs, but I'm about to give up on them.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I thought EXPs had been discontinued.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

What???? Really? I love EXP's :(

How long do ya'll think strings last? I still have a bunch of 13's left over from the last batch which was totally screwed up but I digress. Seems like as soon as I bought those everyone stopped using 13's and switched to 12's. They got to be over 5 years old now but are stored in good environmental conditions too.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Michaeldc (Mon May 23, 2022 1:59 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
jfmckenna wrote:

How long do ya'll think strings last? I still have a bunch of 13's left over from the last batch which was totally screwed up but I digress. Seems like as soon as I bought those everyone stopped using 13's and switched to 12's. They got to be over 5 years old now but are stored in good environmental conditions too.

If they are stored properly they should be fine. I still have about 6 sets from a group buy several years ago and they are still just like new. I keep them in the original plastic sleeve and they stay in my shop at about 40% RH.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: jfmckenna (Mon May 23, 2022 3:50 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I need some acoustic lights and electric 9's&10's.

What exactly is dealer pricing? And does that mean they would be individually packaged instead of bulk?

Were the previous group buys bulk or packages of 10?

Pat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
SteveSmith wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:

If they are stored properly they should be fine. I still have about 6 sets from a group buy several years ago and they are still just like new. I keep them in the original plastic sleeve and they stay in my shop at about 40% RH.

All bets are off if they aren’t stored in a quite dry environment - I frequently have guys drop off guitars for setup along with an unopened set of Elixirs or whatever that they’ve had floating around their house a year or two. If the strings have been through a humid summer they almost always show significant corrosion, even totally unopened.

I once lost a whole 10-pack of D’Addario XLs to this. Rapid temperature drops cause condensation to form on the inside of the sealed plastic wrapping.

Now I also keep all my strings in a 40% environment.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:44 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hey Mike sorry for the partial high-jack but it's related and an endorsement of sorts that will hopefully suggest to others to join your group buy.

Ann Arbor Guitars early on selected D'Addarrio as our exclusive string supplier. Since then we have stocked and sold well over 20,000 sets of D'Addario strings and in ten years time and out of all these sets we never experienced a single bad string OR any packaging or manufacturing defects. Pricing has been good even when others raised prices and may be gouging hiding behind supply chain issue claims.

As Mr. intonation at our business I also wanted to offer that D" Addario is an excellent string for builders to offer and standardize around for a measurable reason, they intonate in the middle of the prospective pack making them the closest to a one size fits all available in my considerable experience with them. Or, in other words if you build to intonate one of these strings correctly no matter what your client may like string wise you will not likely have to make a new saddle because of a brand change.

It's a great company with excellent products, what I use on all my 35 personal guitars too. Also I am not affiliated with them in any manner and although we could be direct with them we aren't and use Harris Teller so I can buy others things form one source.

Thanks and I'll go stifle myself now. :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Robbie_McD (Mon May 30, 2022 6:43 am)