Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:01 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I posted a couple of weeks ago about bandsaws and waited too long and missed the 21" Griz here locally. Since it is sold, I have shifted to looking more at the Minimax and Laguna. Read most of the reviews here, but some of the posts about S45 are older. I think I am moving toward the Minimax; Eric there is very helpful. I don't plan on resawing anything larger than buitar backs. The MM16 is a beast with a 4.8 HP motor; the S45 has a 2.5 HP motor. The S45 has a much larger table and 150 pounds less weight. S45 is about $400 less also. If anyone has any experience resawing with the S45, I would love to hear from you. The folks at Minimax assure me that the S45 would perform well at resawing anything in the 9" size. Thanks for the help
Tom Harbin.
PS: I am selling my Rick 330 75th guitar to finance this purchase. Is that crazy? Not for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:06 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I don't know about Minimax but I resaw all day with my laguna and absolutely love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:18 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have no idea what a buitar back is?   Of course I meant guitar back. thanks, Tombuitar back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:20 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Well, didn't I do a good job highlighting those words?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:51 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Mayes
City: Norman
State: OK
Focus: Build
I used to own a MM16 and it was a very nice saw. I only sold it cause I
moved cross country and I didn't need to lug that monster with me.

Generally speaking you can never go wrong with more horsepower and this
holds very true with bandsaws imo. Go for the more umph..... Now I gotta
go grunt like Tim the toolman Taylor.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:22 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have a MM16 and love it, plenty of power and runs real smooth. You can place a quarter on the edge of the table and turn the saw on and the quarter stays right there. I don't think you can go wrong with either bandsaw.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Todd: thanks for that link. Hope to get more input.
Tom H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Todd and others, that article is ancient.
Both Bob Cefalu and I have the Laguna HD16LT, which has massive cast iron wheels, a 16" resaw capacity, and a 4.5hp Baldor motor. You can't go wrong with a MiniMax, but the Lagunas have come a long way since that article. One of the old gripes with Lagunas was the lack of safety features, but now they are chocked full of safety switches and stuff. Now, the thing that makes this saw a fantastic choice is the new Laguna ceramic guide blocks. These things rock...
I was once convinced to get the MiniMax, but after comparing them and also hearing from Bob how much he liked his, I went with the Laguna, and have never regretted getting the saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

I purchased a Minimax MM16 a few years ago and highly recommend buying from them. I also worked with Eric (Minimax) and he did a great job putting the whole deal together and making sure I was satisfied. I know many own Laguna Bandsaws but I just didn't have as positive of an experience working with them on the phone.

I guess after I considered the options I settled on the MM16 because it seems to be the saw that everyone raves about. IMHO, for the $400 I would buy the MM16 over the S45. It is a heavier saw and with resawing hardwoods you will be glad you purchased the biggest saw you can afford. Plus, in any case you need to sell the saw the MM16 will have a much better resale value.

Best of luck and please let us know what you buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
I have an older S45. So far I've had to replace the motor (cooked the original
one re-sawing Oak) and changed out the guides to Carters.
If I wasn't in so deep on it I'd let it go and get the MM16 or perhaps the
Laguna.
-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

My Laguna 18 was purchased before the advent of the ceramic guides.

The Euro guides that came with my saw were the only problem area.

Laguna sent me a new Euro thrust part. When I got it, no kidding, the thing was a used part, already somewhat damaged like the one I needed to replace. Sheesh. Come to think of it, I had to buy that used part, so I sent it back.

I went to a machine shop and they made me a thrust bearing holder. The Euro Guides are still working on the less important side guides.

My motor has never been an issue, it's a 3HP 22o Volt. Never has bogged down. A little belt slippage once was adjusted out after breaking it in, no issue.

I've never seen a MiniMax. That was a good article. It's always good to do fresh research and so, let us know and we want pics like Bob C.   

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:27 am 
Koa
Koa

I too have a MM16...the newer version with 16" resaw and the 4.8hp motor, it's a great saw, it's all I need. I'm sure the Laguna is great too, I almost went with one, and I'm sure I would have been a happy camper if I did.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
I have a Laguna 16HD like Don and BobC, and I get really great results with it.

That said, I will NEVER buy anything from Laguna again due to their horrible service. I had the tire on my lower wheel break, while still under warranty (the way it came off, it wasn't glued on properly). It was over five weeks from when I first called them to when they put the replacement tire in the mail (seven until I received it). The 'replacement tire' was actually just a strip of rubber. Four man-hours time between a machinist and a mechanical engineer to get the new tire on, true, and crowned. Tools required include a very large lathe, set of strap clamps, and a bearing puller. It's like having your new cars engine blow up and having GM mail you a pair of piston rings as your 'warranty'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks again for the input. Sounds like both machines are great, but it really concerns me more than a little about customer service with Laguna. Have some of you had good customer service with Laguna. By the way, Minimax has a "great" sale on now.   tom harbin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:30 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I just wanted to give an update, I put in the order today for a MM16. After looking at lots of saws including the new line Steel City that woodcraft and others is selling, I settled on the MM16. As soon as I get it up and running I'll get some pics. Also after I ordered it and was given a quote for shipping, Erik let me know that it would be shipping from Atlanta and not Texas, and I will be paying about $100 for shipping that we agreed on. I'm in Tennessee, so that helps. This may also help others if shipping costs would help. I've been very pleased with the help up front with the Minimax folks.   Thanks for all the help!
Tom Harbin
PS: Can't wait to cut some of that blackwood that some of us purchased here from Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:12 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

To Tom

You may want to go to; Spectrum Supply and check out the Lennox Woodmastar CT carbide blade 1.3tpi.  Lennox is having a price increase and you can get 6% off by using 6off at check out, it's a good deal.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:29 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ummmm. . . . what is an S45?

When all else fails, clean the shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:31 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

The S45 is actually the S45N which is a lighter duty 18" saw.
Also, thanks for the link for a blade. I had a look at their website. The discount sounds good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:59 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Just ordered some blades from Spectrumsupply.com only got 3 off?

Spectrum is the online name for Gray Industrial.

I purchased these from them:

1.  Lenox Woodmaster CTI Carbide 1.3 tpi, .051" kerf, for a 12'6" blade it was $108.12 before discount.

2.  Lenox Woodmaster C1" one inch steel blade, 2 TPI, .o72 kerf,  $18.12 before disc.  This would be a good one to saw tops with, I'm guessing.

3.  Lenox Woodmaster B1" one inch bimetal, 2 Tpi, .035 band .072" kerf, before disc, it was $48.57

Previously I've used the Lenox TriMaster 2/3 Varitooth, which I highly recommend.  1 inch wide, .035 band upgraded to handle flexing on smaller saws well, kerf is .064 measured.  Current price on a 12'6" blade is $172.50 

I decided to try the above three blades instead this go around.  These guys at Spectrum dealt like pros, and I'm happy to have found them via another OLFer.

Congratulations Tom on your new saw.  Will look for those pics.