Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:52 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hello all.  Man, there is some nice looking projects here.  SteveS, I really like those wide grained tops.  I am working on my 6th acoustic instrument, an OM with mahogony back and sides and a Hemlock top.  I have kind of dubbed this guitar the "jig" guitar because as I get to each step I am trying to build jigs that I have had in the back of my mind (or elsewhere) that would help to complete that step.  So far we have a fretboard radius jig (thanks Toddy Stock), a body vise (thanks Sylvan), a endgraft/mortise cutting jig ( thanks Jonathan Kendall and Robbie O'brien), a handheld binding jig ( thanks Arnt), and a neck tenon cutting jig ( thanks Terry Kennedy).  Here is a pic.  I plan to give the guitar to my daughters school to raffle off for a fundraiser for a foreign exchange.  Thanks everybody here and have a merry Christmas.  Sorry about the mess Hesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:22 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

My first true, made by me, guitar. (How can you tell I'm excited?!?)

Engleman top, EIR back & sides, Koa binding, Butternut neck, Ebony fingerboard, Brazilian Rosewood headstock veneer and soon to be cut pickguard, and hand-cut Abalone & EIR rosette.

Now if I can only find time to finish (and take some photography lessons...oh my)!!

Jamie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

This is what's "on" my workbench.  27" long.  If you look carefully, you can see some guitar stuff on the back wall.

My first Torres based classical guitar.  White cedar top, Lacewood body.

I use the Panormo style headstock as my standard style.  Just as valid as any other... I decided to spring for Gotoh premium tuners.  Its possible to spend a LOT more than what these cost!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Johnson
City: Denver
State: CO.
Zip/Postal Code: 80224
Focus: Build
I'm just beginning a L-00-flamed mahog B/s and Sitka top braced lightly--query would I still get the classic sound with Lutz?
Also thought about using 'floating fretboard'-how would, in your opinion the sound of the guitar sound?

I still do not understand the reluctance to use the 'floating' fretboard. It does not make sense to me to negate the sound of upper bouts by bracing with 2" x 4" board and affixing fretboard to upper-bout. Does it create something negative I am not aware of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Johnson
City: Denver
State: CO.
Zip/Postal Code: 80224
Focus: Build
Hesh,
Wonerful job of affixing hair to second guitar. Does it give better sustain to woof sound?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:54 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

No pics yet, but I have 2 customs: a Brazilian and adi dread, and an Indian rosewood/adi dread with curly maple bindings.  The bindings were inspired from someone here on the OLF who posted an answer to a question I had about curly maple bindings.  I forget who, but I'm sure you know who you are, and thanks to you and many others for the inspiration!  I'm going to post pics as soon as I am finished.  Brazilian was lacquered yesterday, and the other one will be soon.  Again, I'd just like to say thanks to you guys who post on a regular basis.  The information and pictures here are priceless to me,  I don't post very much, but I read this forum every chance I get (when I am not in the shop!). 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

Got my binding channels cut today!  This is always a stressful stage for me.

BTW, the above canoe is 27 FEET long, not inches.  Am I ever glad that its out of the shop now.  Though I just brought in a 20 footer today...

Bent gunnels for 6 new canoes.  A big steambox is a FAST way to raise the humidity of the shop.  About 30% in an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:36 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

[QUOTE=douglas ingram]Got my binding channels cut today!  This is always a stressful stage for me.

BTW, the above canoe is 27 FEET long, not inches.  Am I ever glad that its out of the shop now.  Though I just brought in a 20 footer today...

Bent gunnels for 6 new canoes.  A big steambox is a FAST way to raise the humidity of the shop.  About 30% in an hour.
[/QUOTE]

Doug, my hat's off to you for building a 27 footer.  I built a 16' cedar strip about 10 years ago, out of the Canoecraft book.  It was a blast and I'd love to do another one sometime.