Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:16 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I know I said htis before, but I am a novice at reapir etc. I do it to my own guitars as a hobby, so my questions may be rudimentary to you guys.

Anyway I have an acoustic that a number of the top and back braces were knocked off in a fall. I just thought I'd clean up the residue glue and re-glue. Any tricks for holding the drying braces in place other than long clamps?

Also, any idea why those old Gibson LGO's - I think they had ladder bracing - all have the bridge pulling up. I have one where I re-attached a new rosewood bridge (the braces seem fine) but under normal tuning the bridge pulls up the top. Is there a fix to this? More braces -- but don't I then change the sound?

Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:35 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Jim Howell

I have a couple of these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Clamps,_support_tools/Brac e_Repair_Jack.html

They work very well in places that you just can't get a regular clamp.  The biggest 'secret' to regluing, IMHO, is getting the old glue cleaned out of the joint before re-gluing.  Getting your hands on Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide" is a good place to start.

Never messed with old Gibson's so I can't help out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:44 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

First you said many of the braces fell off in a fall. Is this a ladder braced Gibson? If not what and exactly what braces?.

This is not an easy repair in particular if the braces are in the lower bout. The residue needs to be cleaned off from both the top or back wood and the brace as much as possible. What type glue was originally used. This may mean the difference in whether your new glue up will take or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:39 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

thanks guys

It is an x braced Signa (Martin import I think - Canada). What kind of glue was used I really don't know. The braces that came off were the 2 X's and one shorter brace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

The glue most likely would have been an aliphatic resin -- TiteBond and will need to be cleaned very well as new glue doesn't stick to old.  Have patience because most of this will be done by braille, working through the soundhole.  You'll be able to check progress with a  mirror and a light, but the actual work will be done by touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:26 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks Jim I will tell you how it comes. But since I have you the fall created two 4-5 inch cracks down teh sound board on the lower bout - below the bridge. Do I need to do anyhting else there besides put the braces back below the cracks and drop some glue in the crack?

DEnnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:28 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Wow!!! Did the X braces come completely off?

If so this sound like a repair you really should turn over to a trained luthier. I know the Signa is not worth a lot of money and the truth is it would cost you more than the guitar is worth. However this repair sound like you really need to remove the top so that the top can be properly prepped and the X braces properly clamped over its full length. I am not saying it cant be done but a couple of jack clamps are not going to provide the clamping the X brace really needs for proper clamping. The brace need to be clamped ar at least3 locations along all four spurs of the X and one in the center. Now this is assumming the X is completely loose.   

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:48 am 
Koa
Koa

Dennis--

Michael has brought up a very good point.  If you are willing to look at this as a learning experience and no one involved has too big of an emotional attachment to the guitar (just in case things go south).

With the Sigma (and I have to go with a shaky memory here), I believe that the back is not bound.  If the damages are such that you need unfettered access to the bracing, I'd consider removing the back with heat and palette knives.  You can then have relatively decent access for the repairs.  Spend some time out at Frank Ford's site http://www.frets.com to see pictures of these types of repairs to see if this is what you really want to do yourself.  Its probably not economically feasible to have this done to a Sigma by a luthier, but if you are willing to risk the guitar being turned into a wall hanger, its worth the effort in learning some of the skills.  You may want to consider getting a $25 Harmony from e-Bay for a practice run when it comes to removing backs or tops.  Good luck -- repairing this stuff can be fun when you are not under the time restraints of trying to earn a living!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:11 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks guys. The guitar was given to me and I am doing the work simply for the experience - so however it comes or not is OK. I would never touch a really good guitar.

Anyway, it was only really one full cross brace and half of the second, then a ladder brace in the front ahead of the soundhole. I was thinking I would scrape out all the old glue and use titebond. To hold each brace in I was thinking of a combination of clamps (I have 2 bridge clamps) and then making  a few 1in square supports about the depth of hte body - a bit shorter - then attaching a small light spring to the end - I think I saw something like this in Dan Erliwines Guitar Repair book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:30 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Don't know if you've done anything yet, I just saw this, but De-glue-goo works great for removing pva and other glue residue. Google it. It contains Acetic acid.

Good luck.