Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Focus: Build
I am going to buy plane for taking top and back plates to thickness. I admit, I am am not familiar with the various types of planes and what they do best. Etc. low angle, block so on. I can do stuff on the power machines, but want to go to the step of learning hand tools and how to use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
Having one, I'm a pretty big advocate of the bevel-up planes. Lee Valley (Veritas) makes a line of them, as does Lie Nielsen (I believe). They're the ones you can swap the blades in to change the cutting angle (which allows you to match the blade to the wood with one plane rather than buying a different plane for each angle).

I have this one and all the blades:
Lee Valley Smoother

That said, if you're short on cash you can put more elbow grease into something like a Stanley #5 and get a great plane out of it, though less versatile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A #5 or #5 1/2 (or equivalent size) is a great all-round plane for guitarmaking. You'll also want a block plane eventually, but the #5 will take care of thicknessing and jointing for you. I've been very tempted by the bevel up planes, and that's probably what I'd buy if I got a new one. For now, I'm more than happy with my vintage Record and Union #5 1/2 and #6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:13 am 
Koa
Koa

I'd second Todd's rec of the LN 4 1/2. What a great plane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Focus: Build
thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Don't be afraid to learn how to tune up up a plane, it will teach you a lot about what makes them tick; not a bad idea since you "...want to go to the step of learning hand tools and how to use them". Good irons, cap irons, proper mouth openings, frog angles, level soles etc. all make a difference, and tinkering with these things will be quite revelaing. Tuning a plane is a lot like tuning an instrument in that it teaches you to 'listen' and make necceasary adjustments as you go.

IMO, a higher frog angle may work well with tougher woods, but a standard angle works with less effort in soft woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:35 am 
Koa
Koa

Lie Nielsen fanatic here. I do all my thicknessing by hand becuase a thickness sander isnt practical here in my shop. Over time I learnt not to miss the sanders as there are many acoustic advantages to hand thicknessing tops and backs. Also, your shop fills with pretty curls of wood rarther than DUST!

I like a No.5 for jointing, but I would probably get a 5 1/2 if I had my money again... even for long Hawaiian guitar center seams... there isnt much advantage to a longer plane.

I also use the No.5 to thickness the plates, followed by a No.3 for the finall gradutating.

I use toothed blades on all my planes for getting in the ball park, then follow with a finley set regular blade and then if its really curly koa or interlocked I would use a scraper plane.

Lie Nielsen planes are ready to go straight out of the box with a light hone of the blade first. Re-furbishing is somewhat tedious and for the time and quality of the finished product, Lie Nielsen tools are the best bet.