Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Fillipo was asking to see pictures of my shop as I noted that I have 185 sft of shop space which is packed to the gills with tools and wood plus a few other things.

Here's a phrase that I coined because I have such a small space.

Have what you need, use what you have.

I built the shop with only building guitars in mind (and maybe the odd other thing here or there) so it's certainly not set up for cabinets or large items, although I did build some of my 12' boat in it as well as a 10' entertainment unit of sorts, just had to be creative with the space.

The shop is irregular in shape (not square or rectangle), 185 sft total and I have two walls that are 16' long, one that is 14' long and the other is 10' long, the two back corners are not 90* (I don't have a site plan otherwise I'd put that in too).

Anyway, here's the shop outside and in.

Front of the shop (14' wall)

Looking in from the door

Just inside the door you see the table saw, bandsaw and spray booth area.

Standing at the table saw looking toward the bench, you see the go-bar deck (guitar body sitting on it) with the loft area above.

Looking toward the door from the semi-knock down spray booth, you see the rest of the bench and my thickness sander (24" wide)

Storage in a small shop is really key. When I built the shop I knew I wanted some sort of loft for storage as well as the top side of the go-bar deck. Efficiency is key when you have a small space. The other thing I decided I didn't need was windows (Mario's suggestion years ago from the MIMF) which really gives a lot of wall space for jig storage as well as cabinets and other storage units. So here are some of the ways I've made my small space more spacious.

The loft (you can see I have lots of space for more wood )and the large upper cabinet

Storage box for bindings, liners, purflings and binding sheets (on top) this is beside the bandsaw on the wall

Jigs hanging on the walls and another small upper cabinet holds saw blades and routers.

The bench top (I want to add a maple top to the plywood one day) used to clamp jigs too, shaping necks, and where my small drill press sits. The chisel rack helps keep them in a safe place and the little drop down storage holds pencils, rulers and misc small tools.

Here's a mess, but I don't know where to put all that stuff, small pieces of wood for neck blocks and tail blocks, some small jigs, sandpaper, notes and build journal (big red binder).

Some more storage areas, got to use every little space available.

And than the semi-knock down spray booth. Two doors with poly on which close inward to allow for more space. You can see the filter box below and inside is my explosion proof fan. Also I made a storage cabinet which can hold two guitars and two necks while curing after spraying.

So I hope this helps some of you see that you can have a small space and have it filled to the rim but with some organization (I certainly haven't "arrived" yet) you can have what you need and use what you have.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:16 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
State: Eastern WA
Focus: Build
Rod,

Very cool little space. Thanks for posting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:29 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Your shop underscores the old axiom "keep it simple..." I'll be referring to this post when I re-organize my shop which is 1/2 of my garage.

J.R.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention- cool spray booth. When you don't need it the doors fold away. I never woulda thought of that! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks guys,

One thing I'd also like to suggest to continue to get good ideas for your shop is this;

Go to your public library and take out books on workshop ideas, and as many woodworking magazines you can. I do this about 3-4 times a year, sometimes I get the same book a couple times just to see if I missed something the first time round.

I went to the library this morning with the kids and here's what I got. Lots of good ideas in all those pages.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks Filippo, sorry bout spelling your name wrong in the first post (double L instead of double P)

That jig is the Woolson neck tenon jig. I love that jig, it sure is going to help get the neck angle dead on to the upper bout taper.

As far as the "no windows" goes, it's to gain the storage space from the walls only. If I had more space, I'd like a couple of north facing windows to get some indirect day light, although I rarely get to work in the shop during the daytime anyway so it really doesn't matter much.

Yup, I love my little shop. Of course I'd love more space but right now I don't have the luxury so I'll certainly take what I can have.

Remember, Have what you need, use what you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Dave
Last Name: Anderson
City: Clearwater
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 33755
That's really a nice little set-up Rod. A space for everything and using
all the space you have wisely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:33 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Rod
It is amazing what your able to fit in 185sf. And the way I see it you still have space for more clever storage ideas. I have said this before but still like the spray booth. Great space saving design.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It's cool to have that kind of stuff in such a small space and still have it relatively organized!

Yea! I still like that spray both too!

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:43 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Where's the toilet?

Great looking shop my friend and you are a master of organization.  The irregular shape was dictated by the shape of your property?

Also have you used the spray booth yet and what are your impressions?

Very nice Rod!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:48 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Duluth
State: MN
Focus: Build
Thanks, Rod.

That's just about the same amount of space as I have to work with in my basement. Lots of good ideas here.

Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks guys,

Toilet? Third bush round the back, watch out for the electric fence though

Yes the irregular shape was dictated by the property lines. I could have squared it off at the back but it would have left me with a 10x14 shop and the land use back there would have been pretty much useless. That extra little bit sure helps, that's the corner where the spray booth is.

Yes, I've used the spray booth, I have sprayed 2 guitars in there both at the same time and It works really well. With the doors closed up and the air intake coming from the filter near the ceiling, the air flow goes from above my head down to the fan at my feet and out the shop. It's a little bit snug in there, but there is still enough room to spray the body and neck than put them in the cabinet. When I run the fan with the booth doors closed, the suction will open the shop door if it's left unlatched. The fan is 1500 CFM so it clears the air really quickly. There is no haze in the booth what so ever and I leave the fan on for about an hour after spraying to get the initial fumes cleared. I also leave the booth closed up for several days after spraying to try and contain the smell from off gassing and I cycle the fan when I go in the shop. While spraying I wear long sleeve shirts, heavy rubber gloves and a full face respirator like this one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:18 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Great Shop Space Rod.

1. Do you use the singletree?

2. Where is the bottom door for your bandsaw?

3. Could you use some more radius dishes?

Happy Baby and New Year.

What a guy! So True!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
That's a great little shop. One of the nice things about small spaces is you
don't have far to go to reach a tool. Speaking of...... I wouldn't be using
your bandsaw naked .

Happy New Year Rod and All

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bruce, is this the singletree?

If so, it was something my mother-in-law bought for my wife. It was for decorating in the rustic country style. None of us even know what the thing is or what it's for

Yes, I still have the lower cover for my bandsaw, but the clip to keep it closed is broken and duct tape just doesn't work to well in a dusty atmosphere. I do need to get it back on the saw and figure out how to keep the door from opening during operation.

Radius dishes.... ha! There are only 5 there . 4 are 1.5" thick and waiting to be radius'd actually. Two will remain flat for gluing my tops and two will be cut to 15' radius for backs. I will dedicate one of each to gluing only and one of each will have sandpaper attached for sanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:09 am 
Koa
Koa

Wow Rod thats one enormous shop compared to mine!
LOL
Good space though and full of all the right tools I see,,, Keep making those beauty guitars friend.
Cheers
Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Really Charlie, your shop is smaller? You're pretty efficient as well than as I know you at least have a bandsaw, dust collector and a bunch of other stuff in there.

Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year Charlie my friend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:30 am 
Koa
Koa

Rod...cool little shop. You have some great ways to store things. I really need to do the same for my shop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:54 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan

[QUOTE=Rod True]Bruce, is this the singletree?

If so, it was something my mother-in-law bought for my wife. It was for decorating in the rustic country style. None of us even know what the thing is or what it's for

[/QUOTE]

Rod buddy are you sure your mother-in-law did not buy that for Lianna to use on YOU...........

When your mother-in-law visits do you have to run that back into the house and mount it on the living room wall?  Or, perhaps wear it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:23 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Great looking shop you have there Rod.  It just goes to show that a little space can go a very long way if used correctly.

One thing I noticed that kind of made me cringe though.  This is the electrician in me speaking so take this in the spirit it is intended.  It makes me wince when I see a spray booth with an explosion proof fan (which I assume means you spray nitro) yet non-explosion proof fluorescent lights and a switch in there.  I have seen a lot of fluorescent ballasts fail over the years with a great big arc that burned a hole through the metal ballast case, worn fluorescent sockets that will buzz and arc,  and almost every light switch makes a small load-arc inside when it is turned on and off.  I say this so you might think about re-doing your lighting so it is outside the booth shining in, and so I don't hear about you in the news one day!

Again, great looking shop.  Now I have to stop complaining about my 625 sq ft shop being crowded!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

David, thank you for your concern. Yes I do want to get some sort of solution for the switch (turns on the fan) and the light.

I'm thinking I'll make a sealed box to go over the light, much less expensive when compaired to an explosion proof fixture. Now as far as the switch goes, can I put a piece of thick poly over it and tape it to the siding with poly tape. I'd do a couple of layers and roll it down hard to the wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Rod, I really like your shop but I see some real problems too. There's a flow consideration in geomagnetic qi .. well, I'll just mention there's probably a Feng Shui expert listed in the phone book, I'd giv'em a call!

Mention space weather and they'll know what's wrong right away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

That said, without the luopan compass for the portal facing!      

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Billy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:27 am 
Koa
Koa

Rod,

Thanks for posting. Your set-up has given me a lot of ideas for organizing my shop. That is my no. 1 resolution for the new year!

Max Bishop
Brighton, Michigan