Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

you dont see this to often, and if you do it usually isnt this good of a collection of quality power tools. If somebody wants to equip a good shop cheaply, here is your chance:

ebay shop sale

Ken H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:36 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

What a deal.............Wonder why no bids?

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Goodness me...

Think of the practicalities of getting it all there..you'd have to have a complete inventory to make sure you've got everything as advertised- plus some of the stuff is at the brother-in-laws.....just sounds like a logistical nightmare..

If it was me selling this shop, I'd have an open house/garage sale - let everyone take want they want and hand me the $$$$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:23 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Doesn't look like any great deal to me. They want more or less the sum of all the items if they were sold separately. That's not the way to price an entire shop. And the guy's brothers keep making off with things!

When all else fails, clean the shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:55 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It was only one or two counties over from me, but it just didn't look that appealing of a deal. I think they would do much better to put it all on Craigslist parted in to seperate large tools and box lots of the smaller stuff.

That, or I have some friends who have just advertised a one day tool sale in the paper and Craigslist when they were moving or retooling. It draws people out, and stuff can go fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I outfitted my shop on a similar eBay deal shortly after completing my first. Got a much better deal, though. Guy went out and bought about $6K worth of tools, built one guitar, didn't like how it turned out, so he sold it all. Had a $2K Buy It Now. I couldn't resist.

Had a bunch of specialty stuff I never would've bought on my own. I'm still finding stuff in those boxes I didn't know was there!

Got my money's worth on the brand new Delta drum sander and Fox bender with 4 sets of forms. The TS, BS, DP, B/D sander, chisels, etc, were all just icing on the cake.

Oh, not to mention the files, rasps, electric bending iron, buffing arbor and buffs, S/M nut files, leveling beams, books, rolls upon rolls of sandpaper, Dremel with S/M router base, edge guide and circle cutter.

Oh, and let's not forget the 8 or so sets of Englemann, two sets of Koa, three sets of Mahogany...

OK, I'm done bragging now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:41 am 
Koa
Koa

Wes...nice score!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:08 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Wes,

Sounds like you got a good deal.

On this one, I think I agree with Sam. I don't have the ebay page in front of me, but as I remember

The owner of the tools, the father of the seller, was in Florida. Not sure if the father knew that the tools were being sold.

Some of the tools were with the seller's brother-in-law and not pictured.

There wasn't a definitive list of what was included in the auction. The seller said that some things pictured were not included.

Looked suspicious to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

you never know with things like this. SOmetimes they ask what they think it is worth, but if you show up with cash in hand, you can negotiate for a better deal.

I had just took a quick look at some of the saws and other power equipment and from what I have seen it looked like a bargain. All of the equipment looked like it had been taken care of.

Some of my equipment I bought used, and got a bargain on it when I bought it. I bought a grizzley drill press, a jet 6" planer a lobo shaper and some other items from a guy that had decided to get out of the miniature furniture business. I had to drive a couple of hours to go get it, but it was well worth the drive. That was an ebay deal. I got my band saw and blower system from a guy who was upgrading to larger equipment.

Ken H