Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:22 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

My wife and I bought a humidifier a couple weeks ago. It's doing a good job humidifying, but I'm having a hard time keeping the RH at a constant (or nearly constant level). On average there's a 15 - 20% swing in any 12 hour period (I'm measuring with a psychometer). The only problem I can think of is the fact that this unit is designed for one room but there is a hallway that connects to other rooms etc., so it may be trying to do too much. Any thoughts now that I probably answered my own question?

Thanks much and happy new year,

J.R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:25 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Whoops!   psychrometer not psychometer! Boy if I had one of those it would be beeping all day long! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Glenn
Last Name: LaSalle
City: Saint Petersburg
State: Florida

J.R.,

I use a number of humidifiers in my house, and one dedicated to my shop area.  So far here in the north east (South NJ/Philadelphia area), i have been keeping Rh between 40-46% during the late fall/Winter (summer was between 45-50 with central air).

Make sure the one you bought can handle the area you want to humidify.   I bought Holmes humidifiers this year, which displays the RH.  I find the humifiers display is way off, but consistently so.  So I set the humidifier for the setting that yields the proper RH.  I like humidifiers that can be set to go on at certain points - i think it controls the RH swing better.  Of course, we are going thru our first cold snap now (17 degrees at night), and I find the humidifiers are definately working overtime

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:52 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Thanks Glenn,

Ours is a Holmes. It has a humidistat, but no digital display. The info that came with it says it's designed for one room up to 1000 sq. ft. I fiddled w/ it til it was giving me 45-50% daytime but then drops to about 30% at night. I tried turning it up a hair at night, checked it in the am and it was near 70%. I've been trying but just can't seem to get it to stay at a consistent level. 

Maybe it's all that hot, moist air drifting in from Iowa. Maybe this will all correct itself after the caucuses are over! 

J.R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Glenn
Last Name: LaSalle
City: Saint Petersburg
State: Florida
[QUOTE=glasalle]

I bought Holmes humidifiers this year, which displays the RH.  [/QUOTE]

Sorry, I bought Hunter Humidifiers - supposedly the wick filters dont need changing ... we'll see

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:14 am 
Koa
Koa

I  bought room humidifiers  long ago, what a hassle, then with the possibility of mold growing on the wicks and being spread throguh the air, the only  solution was a chemical additive , added to the water , which I could actualy taste in the air. I thinkthe only way you will get an automatic system that works well is to spend a huge amount of money on equiptment and duct work.! I simply use   a vaporizer , which requires a casual monitoring, I have a hygrometer on the shelf , and a ceiling fan .if I need a quick boost of water vapor( like when I am using the wood stove), I add a little salt to the water . it seems to be working for me . Jody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

I have two 4 gallon Holmes humidifiers. One in the shop and one in the
guitar room. I end up filling the guitar room one every other day and the
shop one twice a day in this cold cold drrrryyyy air. Thats 8 gallons a day in
the shop! I even tried sealing the shop with thick plastic sheet the best I
could. It helped, but I'm still filling twice a day. In my rush this morning I
forgot to put the refilled container back and left it in the sink all day. The
RH went from 42% down to 22% while I was at work. I had four practice tops
that curled up pretty good. Its a real pain in the dry Wisconsin winters. I
think I need to get one of those cheep vaporizers to supplement the cold
vapor one, or one of those ultrasonic ones. The hot wet summers are so
much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:11 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: kurt
Last Name: thomas
City: colden
State: ny
Zip/Postal Code: 14033

Trying to maintain consistant humidity does depend on the area you are trying to humidify and on the type and quality of the humidifier. I have a Honeywell that I bought about 2 years ago at Home Depot, it is one of the few Warm Mist humidifiers I have seen. It's like a vaporizer, but it has a fan as well so it really puts out a good amount of moisture. It hold about 1.5 gallons, so I end up filling it at least once a day. It humidifys my guitar room which is a 20x15 room and it keeps a pretty good level between 40 and 45% here in Buffalo. This one has the digital control where you can set the RH and it is not an accurate read out but is relative. I have it set at 55 and it goes on and off with the room staying around the 40-45% level.

The problem with the warm mist unit is it uses a heating element, that I have to acid clean about once a month with a mild muriatic solution, and this is even with having a softener system on the house. I have a cool mist Holmes, with a bigger tank, but it has all the associated problems with the filter getting "skanky" and fouled. I really like the warm mist unit but I just do not see them anywhere anymore. I think possibly due to the safety potential, where if the unit runs out of water, and the automatic shut off does not work, you wind up with a red-hot coil in a plastic housing, not good.

Kurt Thomas

"There's a first time for everything even if you do it by mistake."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Phila
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
[QUOTE=Jody]   I  bought room humidifiers  long ago, what a hassle, then with the possibility of mold growing on the wicks and being spread throguh the air, the only  solution was a chemical additive , added to the water , which I could actualy taste in the air. I thinkthe only way you will get an automatic system that works well is to spend a huge amount of money on equiptment and duct work.! I simply use   a vaporizer , which requires a casual monitoring, I have a hygrometer on the shelf , and a ceiling fan .if I need a quick boost of water vapor( like when I am using the wood stove), I add a little salt to the water . it seems to be working for me . Jody[/QUOTE]
Jody i use a vaporizer too because of the mold issue with the humidifiers. Like you said you just need to keep an eye on you humidity gauge and it will work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

I like to store my guitars at about 55% ... now my Zoot is stored much lower... my build room about  45% .... I did need to chip a bunch of build up off my vaporizer  coil this year ....   but at  less than $20 , I think I will go out and buy a new one ... less chance of failure that way ... Jody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:22 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm thinking I need a couple more to spread the workload.