Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Here's a follow up on my post about replacing an adjustable J45 bridge with a fixed saddle.  Thanks a million to Grumpy and Howard Klepper for your help on compensation and saddle angle.  Grumpy, you were right, it's a totally different guitar.  Really unbelievable  improvement in tone.
I used a Rosewood bridge, hide glue, and 1/8" bone saddle with unslotted Ebony pins.
I found some 1/8" square steel bar and crowned one side to use as a surrogate saddle to get the compensation and angle before routing the slot. (Per Howard Klepper) I used the StewMac saddle routing jig modified to take a PC310.
It turned out to be about .16 compensation at the middle of the bridge, and 6/32" setback over 3".  (The adjustable had 11/32" setback) Plays right in tune.

Here's the steel bar I used as a temp saddle

Thanks again to everyone for their help.  It worked out great except for one little thing.  When heating the bridge area for gluing with a hair dryer I didn't notice that the pickguard was loose and some hot air must have gotten under it and bubbled a small area that chipped off.  Fortunately I was able to get a duplicate from Terrapin Guitars.  Another learning experience but it kind of ruined what was otherwise a good day.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:46 am 
Koa
Koa

Nicely done!

Do you have the flaked-off piece of the pickguard? It can be glued back in place, and the cracks will re-melt to each other with a touch of acetone(use a cotton swab, and be very careful of the guitar's finish!). Then let it rest a couple weeks, sand and buff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Good work Terry. Looks great!

When all else fails, clean the shop.